What's new

Derek Chauvin Murder Trial

Is it necessary, though?
In terms of managing high risk environments i would say yes, its the lowest risk practice, in my experience people who argue for higher risk solutions are never involved in managing those environments.

I work in a high risk environment every day, i am more risk adverse than all of my management, the further from the floor you get, the higher the threshold for risk gets. There is good reason for this, senior managers and politicians are concerned with appearances, im concerned with not getting a life changing injury.

The better question is how many cops are taught poorly and put into a culture where they face few consequences for over-reacting?

I genuinely think most cops start out with ideas of service, but these things build in them over time.
Well the true answer to that is that none of them receive the training they really need to handle difficult situations, and mostly it consists of some form of shoot first and ask questions later. My question was more geared toward their personal morals, because even poorly trained cops still can act morally and at least make an attempt not to escalate situations regardless of the inadequacy of their training. There are also those cops that would seek out opportunities to use their gun regardless of if the training they were getting were stellar and highly effective. That is the concept of "good cop" or "bad cop", as in which are really acting for the greater good the best they can in their circumstances, and which are just looking for the power trip and seek out the confrontations because it makes them feel powerful or it allows them to "legally" hurt someone. There is probably a third rough category of cops just trying to get by day to day. But it seems we only ever hear about the "bad cops" and I wondered what percentage people think would fall into that category.

A six month ban for some PM’s, one of which called some dude a white cracker? Lol seriously?
He didn’t just do it in a PM he did it in this thread in a post. Racial slurs are racial slurs. If I’d been black and he’d have called me the N word do you think he would deserve a 6 month ban? Probably not. You’d probably say he deserved to be removed from the board altogether. The word did offend me at all. It never has. It’s the principal of the matter. You can’t sling racial slurs around no matter what race you are talking about. It’s never good.

He didn’t just do it in a PM he did it in this thread in a post. Racial slurs are racial slurs. If I’d been black and he’d have called me the N word do you think he would deserve a 6 month ban? Probably not. You’d probably say he deserved to be removed from the board altogether. The word did offend me at all. It never has. It’s the principal of the matter. You can’t sling racial slurs around no matter what race you are talking about. It’s never good.

lmfao. Spare me. Cracker.

See ya in six months.

You did not explicitly say that use of the words were of equal social disturbance, and I agree with what you explicitly said.

However, there are understandable reasons why "cracker" would almost never have the same effect on you.

Who else is watching this? I fear posting my opinion because there's a lot of headline readers.

I still stand by my original take though.

Come at me, bro.

Who else is watching this? I fear posting my opinion because there's a lot of headline readers.

I still stand by my original take though.

Come at me, bro.
I'm not watching it.

Whatcha seeing?

Didnt want to create another thread. But just more and more evidence on how law enforcement is one of our nation’s biggest cancers. They’re “policing” themselves. Which, as the Catholic Church has taught us, always ends up well. Alsays

Internal affairs investigators reviewing hundreds of allegations of misconduct and excessive force by other Los Angeles police officers during last summer’s mass protests against police brutality are ruling on the side of the officers in most cases.
I just don’t understand why we give police this type of power and protection. Why are police allowed to police their own? We all know that leads to zero accountability.

Just jumping in this thread now. Not sure if it has been mentioned but his previous crimes/record mean zero to me in this case and should mean zero to everyone else. I hate how people use that to justify him dying. "He was a criminal high on drugs is it really that big of a deal?" Well, yes, yes it is a big deal. We should value human life more than that. Just ridiculous.

Just jumping in this thread now. Not sure if it has been mentioned but his previous crimes/record mean zero to me in this case and should mean zero to everyone else. I hate how people use that to justify him dying. "He was a criminal high on drugs is it really that big of a deal?" Well, yes, yes it is a big deal. We should value human life more than that. Just ridiculous.

You're correct in determining causation his record will have zero effect/influence. It will effect the length of sentence if convicted (12.5 years on 2nd degree with no priors vs up to 40 years with priors)

We should value human life and we should not empower police to kill people in the street just to make sure everyone knows how much authority they have.

How many cops are bad cops? 50%? 80%? 99% 5%? This is very interesting to me to see responses on this, maybe I should make a poll. What percentage of cops do people think are just racist assholes baiting everyone they can so they can kill someone legally, and how many are just regular guys doing a very difficult job with poor tools and following their conscience the best they can?
Acab

So JFC decides to unilaterally ban someone for racism the moment it's directed at whites but we still let dudes like Beer post?

Anyone acting like "cracker" is a serious racial slur is being completely ridiculous. It's really sad how much the modstapo on this forum care about protecting white fragility.

Anyone acting like "cracker" is a serious racial slur is being completely ridiculous. It's really sad how much the modstapo on this forum care about protecting white fragility.
I felt like "cracker" wasn't the problem, it was his general abusive behavior. Like, if he had left the word cracker, even that whole sentence out, he still would have been banned.

Not a racial slur, but what I did was stereotyping, which is a similar thought process with racism. Of course racism has such a huge history, you can't compare calling someone a cracker with being racist. I assumed JFBama was racist because he was so quick to defend the police and attack George Floyd for his prior criminal record. And I did apologize to him but he has yet to say he accepts it.

I felt like "cracker" wasn't the problem, it was his general abusive behavior. Like, if he had left the word cracker, even that whole sentence out, he still would have been banned.
Can you elaborate on that. You mean my sarcasm?

Ok let's revisit the inappropriate things I said:

"You're an idiot"
"You are so ignorant."
"You must be a bleeping racist. Figures, you're from Alabammy."

"Hey, A-hole, I just sent you a private message."

Then he actually copied my private message on the site, which I feel was not only inappropriate but a violation of privacy.

And below is the cracker comment in the private message:

"But you don't understand that because you're a stupid cracker from Alabama."

Then I talk about those who fly the Confederate flag and explain what that flag represents. You can go back and read it if you like. Yes, I admitted I went overboard in my demeaning comments and assuming he was racist because he is from Alabama, which was wrong, but it wasn't the only reason for my assumption. I felt he was supporting a policeman who murdered a black man. Who knows maybe he was just supporting the police and not Chauvin. Maybe he can respond now. All I know is that anyone who can support Chauvin is as cruel and heartless as he is.

Last edited: