What's new

DL 'starting' to look like a genius ....

Et tu Brute

... in terms of drafting.
  • So he scores big with Gobert, Mitchell.
  • He looks to have chosen correctly in 2014 - Hood is a rotational player/starter and Exum is probably the only guy with all-star potential from his draft outside the top 4 picks (I mean I like Dinwiddie as much as the next guy though, Lavine meh).
  • Lyles is becoming the player most on here expected/wanted.
  • And before I talk too soon - Burke is starting to get it together. There are some adjustments that he has made - attitude wise in particular (has a silky smooth game which he is now value adding).
  • Further, DL picked up Hill (for a late lottery pick) at a time in his career where he blossomed (career year).
His overall judgment appears sound. But, it is a shame or perhaps even a concern that not all these players find their 'calling' here.

BUT - decisions like Rubio seem ludicrous (as Stitch notes). Maybe Hayward was his blindspot.

Can't underestimate the haircut with respect to Burke's improvement. Huge add on to his game.

In all seriousness, I love DL and think he is an elite GM. The only moves that I patently disagreed with was drafting Trey Burke (I am on record having preferred CJ McCollum), 2) acquiring Rubio - I wasn't sure the trade made sense at the time, even to appease Gordo, and 3) letting Millsap walk for nothing (though I wonder what his market was at the deadline).

Everything else - even the George Hill trade, the Hayward fiasco, etc. - I thought were great moves. It didn't work out ideally with Hill, but that's because the signing was so effective that he completely outperformed his perceived value (minus injuries). Have to applaud DL's decisions for their expected outcomes at the time the deal is made, not how things eventually work out due to circumstances beyond his control.

But mismanaging the Hayward sitiuation is a bad black eye. The fact is he didn’t do everything he could to keep him here. If building around Hayward was the plan (it was). They should have given him the max without a player option. Instead he decided to be a cheap *** and it bit him.

Besides that (and rubio) mess he has drafted well, and I do like the guy. He gives great interviews, and it’s obvious that he is very smart. Bottom line though he needs to get this team straightened out.

This is hilarious about Burke, When Trey was a "bust" everyone excused Dennis because Trey was who Corbin wanted, not Lindsey, Dennis was in his first year and KOC likely had more say, etc.

Furthermore. If Burke and Lyles are now developing under different orgs, what does that say about Quin and his staff, who are supposed to be player development gurus.

As for Hill, yes he had a career year. It was great the Jazz put him in that position. But many trades are made with a nee contract/extension agreement as part of the deal. Major fail for Lindsey not to have done that. He then had to go into panic mode and add Rubio as a foolish attempt to keep Hayward, wasting yet another first round pick on a PG.

@Utesnjazz
The Hayward RFA situation was on KOC not Lindsey. And IIRC, they offered Gordon the same money as Favors on an extension and he rejected it. Hayward them went out and had an underwhelming year. There were quite a few on this board who said he was worth $8-10m and quite a few who voiced loud disagreement over Utah matching the max offer sheet.
Turns out Hayward was worth the money. But it could have gone the other way, too like Harrison Barnes.

@Utesnjazz
The Hayward RFA situation was on KOC not Lindsey. And IIRC, they offered Gordon the same money as Favors on an extension and he rejected it. Hayward them went out and had an underwhelming year. There were quite a few on this board who said he was worth $8-10m and quite a few who voiced loud disagreement over Utah matching the max offer sheet.
Turns out Hayward was worth the money. But it could have gone the other way, too like Harrison Barnes.

Most out here don't understand the salary cap and what was about to happen. We should have just given him the 4 year max rather than making him hunt down an offer sheet. It was obvious to those that understood what was happening to the cap that he'd get a max or close enough to it that making him hunt it down would be a mistake.

The Rubio trade was a mistake, but there were circumstances. Overall I really like DL, but I hope he takes a few more risks going forward now that we don't have Gordon's FA hanging over our heads.

First off, hi Dennis. Good to see you posting here.

I do think Lindsey is a very good drafter. Rubio was CYA. Im pretty sure the media would have killed Lindsey if he had not grabbed a pg prior to Hayward leaving.

But mismanaging the Hayward sitiuation is a bad black eye. The fact is he didn’t do everything he could to keep him here. If building around Hayward was the plan (it was). They should have given him the max without a player option. Instead he decided to be a cheap *** and it bit him.

Besides that (and rubio) mess he has drafted well, and I do like the guy. He gives great interviews, and it’s obvious that he is very smart. Bottom line though he needs to get this team straightened out.
It wasn't DL's choice for a player option. That was Jordan and the Hornets choice jazz had no choice as he was a RFA.

Revisionist history. DL was not completely in charge at that point, and Hayward had not shown the potential to be considered a max player at that point. Situations like Hayward's also cannot be legitimately compared to those of Chis Paul's or Paul George's because Hayward was not forthcoming about his desire to leave like they were. The Rubio acquisition was an outgrowth of Hayward's disingenuous approach to free agency.

What has DL done since taking full reign of personnel? He has traded for a top-15 player at #27 in Gobert (who was developed from D-league to the All-Defensive First Team), and traded for a second potential top-15 player at #13 in Mitchell. That is the foundation for at least a decade-long core, and DL did it by trading for a late pick and a middling pick. AND he accomplished this within a 4-year span. Those picks are astounding, and so good that they render any complaints about the job he has done as complete ******-diaper infant tantrums.

Dennis Lindsey is elite at his job. The only real advantage that Boston had was Hayward's relationship with Stevens. Ainge might have more assets, but he hasn't yet been able to accomplish more than Lindsey has, and DL has had less to work with. The acquisition of Mitchell is a ****ing deathblow to a guy like Ainge, because he could have had him at #2 (or traded down for him) and looked like the biggest genius in the NBA. Instead, Utah is in position to lead the post-Warriors arms race, and DL is going to be looking like a boss for the next ten years.

Hayward sucked that year bro.

It wasn't DL's choice for a player option. That was Jordan and the Hornets choice jazz had no choice as he was a RFA.

That’s what I mean we should have signed him to a four year max (similar to what Gobert got). That would have prevented him from signing the offer sheet with Charlotte.
Plus we would have been able to extend his contract. I think (could be wrong). Which would have put the Jazz in a position of power.

Btw I am often unreasonable as a fan. I use this message board for venting more than anything. It goes without saying that Dennis And Quinn do a better job than I ever would. But that doesn’t mean they are perfect. They have made mistakes and both need to get better in certain areas. Overall they do a good job

I think DL's record for drafting is one of the best in the league, and hiring QS was a great move, but I'm not sold on him as an elite GM. I think his ability to acquire players through Free Agency and trades has been severely lacking. I get that he's traded for draft picks, but his biggest trade for an existing player was a one-year rental of George Hill. The other trades he's made have been to essentially take back players that other teams didn't want for almost nothing. The other aspect that he really hasn't done much in is Free Agency.

I'm not saying that I want the guy fired, but for us to win a championship, he's going to have to figure out other ways to get impact players other than just through the draft.

I think DL's record for drafting is one of the best in the league, and hiring QS was a great move, but I'm not sold on him as an elite GM. I think his ability to acquire players through Free Agency and trades has been severely lacking. I get that he's traded for draft picks, but his biggest trade for an existing player was a one-year rental of George Hill. The other trades he's made have been to essentially take back players that other teams didn't want for almost nothing. The other aspect that he really hasn't done much in is Free Agency.

I'm not saying that I want the guy fired, but for us to win a championship, he's going to have to figure out other ways to get impact players other than just through the draft.
I believe he’s elite but you are absolutely right about trades. He has never really traded any players, just very fringe guys (sans a forced Kanter trade). It’s why I’m not holding my breath on the trade deadline.

Good things:

Gobert
Mitchell
Lyles
Hood

Bad things:
Burke
Letting Millsap walk for nothing
Trading for Hill with no extension when he could have had Teague
Not firing Corbin sooner
Not tanking harder the Exum year
Waiting to long to upgrade the team around Hayward
Trading for Rubio

Borderline inexcusable/maybe should have been fired for:
Knowing the salary cap was about to jump, knowing that a max deal would become equivalent to a mid level player deal and then not signing Hayward to a max deal.

This could EASILY be our team:

Teague/Exum
Mitchell/Hood
Hayward
Millsap
Gobert

Gobert and Mitchell were amazing picks.

Losing Hayward and Millsap were equally as damaging.

If not for drafting Mitchell, DL would look like a terrible GM right now. Drafting Mitchell has saved him for the time being.

To call him a genius? Don’t be silly. He’s done some really good things and some outright, absolute dumb things.

Last edited:
Dennis Lindsey also helped build possibly the greatest NBA team ever.

So, as Utah’s GM he’s very “meh” with a shot to be remembered better due to Mitchell.

As GS’s GM, he is elite.

That’s what I mean we should have signed him to a four year max (similar to what Gobert got). That would have prevented him from signing the offer sheet with Charlotte.
Plus we would have been able to extend his contract. I think (could be wrong). Which would have put the Jazz in a position of power.

Btw I am often unreasonable as a fan. I use this message board for venting more than anything. It goes without saying that Dennis And Quinn do a better job than I ever would. But that doesn’t mean they are perfect. They have made mistakes and both need to get better in certain areas. Overall they do a good job

They tried to extend Hayward. He refused an extension. Hayward wanted to see what he'd get in free agency, thinking he'd get more. So not DL's fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk