What's new

Do you want our pick to convey this year?

Do you want our pick to convey to OKC this year?

• Yes, and hopefully make some noise in the play in/play offs

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • No, I want a Top 10 pick this year!

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • Undecided/No Strong Preference

Votes: 21 21.9%

• Total voters
After last nights loss the play in aint happening. Would have to make up like 3-4 games on GS with the way the schedule is playing out. So its either we get the top ten pick or the darkest timeline. Conveying the #11 pick to OKC now would be horrible. We may need to get grimy to keep the losses piling up. We play Atlanta twice... those are now must lose games.

Also, I hate this. Please be the last year of simultaneously having winning players and having to tank for a mid-*** return. Please either enter full tank mode or push more towards winning.
This

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

After last nights loss the play in aint happening. Would have to make up like 3-4 games on GS with the way the schedule is playing out. So its either we get the top ten pick or the darkest timeline. Conveying the #11 pick to OKC now would be horrible. We may need to get grimy to keep the losses piling up. We play Atlanta twice... those are now must lose games.

Also, I hate this. Please be the last year of simultaneously having winning players and having to tank for a mid-*** return. Please either enter full tank mode or push more towards winning.

If the FO really doesn't intervene, like they said, and we continue to play to win, then I think losing our pick and not making the play in is the most likely outcome.

If the FO really doesn't intervene, like they said, and we continue to play to win, then I think losing our pick and not making the play in is the most likely outcome.
I think we will be okay. Houston I'm a bit worried about as they have sucked lately. Gonna be close. Atlanta and Chicago have been playing okay and are relatively healthy. Rest Lauri/Sexton a few games... Heavy Hendricks minutes.

I think we will be okay. Houston I'm a bit worried about as they have sucked lately. Gonna be close. Atlanta and Chicago have been playing okay and are relatively healthy. Rest Lauri/Sexton a few games... Heavy Hendricks minutes.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Danny have said to Hardy something like, “You know, Will, I just want you to know that we don’t mind if we lose games." I mean if Danny wants to keep the 2024 pick, he sure talks about it to Hardy. Let's see how this shakes out.

The good news is the rockets will be getting FVV back after the all star break and they have no incentive to tank. The same goes for the nets who I expect to play to win as many games as possible but they may have dug a little too big of a hole to jump us.

If we play like we did in the first and fourth quarters we will win a lot of games. If we play like we did in the 2nd and 3rd quarters we will not win any.

What exactly did the Jazz do? Notice that he's the best player on the team and then play him. Great. Doing anything else would've been pretty stupid. There's nothing that Lauri or any player "owes" the team.

And the team didn't even trade for Lauri, it traded for the picks and happened to get him, because the salaries matched and they figured he could give them some run.

And it's not like the team is giving him the Gold treatment. On the court for example last night I believe he touched the ball on offense twice in the 3rd quarter. Off the court, the FO has shown that they think of him as a complementary piece.
Hardy is the one coach that actually gave Lauri the responsibility as the # 1 option. Yes the jazz mainly traded for the picks but after seeing him play that summer they believed in and trusted him to be the man. Lauri owes a lot to the Jazz and Hardy for turning his career around.

Ya'll can mock me for this because I have zero data-driven evidence, but my general feeling is that European players don't like to move. Roots and community are important to them. Jokic will be in Denver his entire career. Rudy would have stayed if he wasn't dealt. Parker and the Spurs. Earlier in the year, Lauri was pleading with Ainge in the press not to trade him because he likes Salt Lake and what they're building.

I dunno - you all think this is a thing or am I off my rocker here?

Hardy is the one coach that actually gave Lauri the responsibility as the # 1 option. Yes the jazz mainly traded for the picks but after seeing him play that summer they believed in and trusted him to be the man. Lauri owes a lot to the Jazz and Hardy for turning his career around.
His first two seasons Lauri obviously wasn't ready to be a star player and the Bulls already had LaVine as the #1 guy. Then Jim Boylen tried to make him bulk up and be a traditional 5. Which was immensely stupid. Not doing that is nothing to get plaudits for. As far as unlocking much of his current playing style already happened with the Cavs by Bickerstaff even if that didn't show up in the box score. But all the movement, cutting, playing 3 and taking advantage of Lauri's talent happened in Cleveland.

And as far as the "responsibility of #1 option". JC took more shots last year until the final tanking phase. JC always had the ball in his hands end of quarter, end of game. Hardy didn't and doesn't run that many plays for Lauri.

Hardy's system would've been the same, Lauri or no Lauri. It just happened that a high movement offense that has tons of options, options off of options and options off of... brings out the best in Lauri.

So what exactly did Hardy do? Declare publicly that Lauri is the best player on the team after he had proven that he's the best player on the team. Well, d'uh.

And of course Hardy and the whole staff has helped him develop a lot, they've tried to build up his confidence, bring him out of his shell etc. But that's what you would expect any coach to do if they have a player like Lauri on their roster.

Ya'll can mock me for this because I have zero data-driven evidence, but my general feeling is that European players don't like to move. Roots and community are important to them. Jokic will be in Denver his entire career. Rudy would have stayed if he wasn't dealt. Parker and the Spurs. Earlier in the year, Lauri was pleading with Ainge in the press not to trade him because he likes Salt Lake and what they're building.

I dunno - you all think this is a thing or am I off my rocker here?
The cultural differences are just massive. Keyonte talked about "gonna build my brand" when he talked about the Rising Stars game, which is just so different from any European players thought process. There's a concept of "generational wealth", which translates to getting hundreds of millions as a measurement of your success. Again, something completely alien to Europeans. The fame, the brand, the face on the side of a building etc.

There are more flamboyant euros as well, but most are thinking much more humbly. Jokic cares about his horses and cycles to the stables, doesn't show up in a Lambo and a flashy suit. Lauri's most expensive hobby is disc golf, and you're gonna struggle to spend more than a few hundred bucks for discs and a god bag.

And even if the player is a social butterfly and could go into a new team easily, the situation is a lot different for the family. If their wife is also not American, they're in an unfamiliar environment, speaking another language - same goes for the kids, at least for the language. Getting past that unfamiliarity and your normal life functioning is harder, and once you've done it, you want to keep things as they are. Also, the support network might not be available. If an American player gets traded, just call up family and friends to help with everything - not so easy for Europeans.

His first two seasons Lauri obviously wasn't ready to be a star player and the Bulls already had LaVine as the #1 guy. Then Jim Boylen tried to make him bulk up and be a traditional 5. Which was immensely stupid
Ya Boylen is an idiot, but guess what. If Boylen had any faith in him he wouldn’t have relegated Markkanen to just a floor spacer sitting in the corner
As far as unlocking much of his current playing style already happened with the Cavs by Bickerstaff even if that didn't show up in the box score. But all the movement, cutting, playing 3 and taking advantage of Lauri's talent happened in Cleveland.
No, sure he didn’t just sit in the corner but he was still relegated to being a floor spacer. He got more opportunities though because he played with a good playmaking pg. in Garland. They weren’t running sets or plays for him. Not like in Utah. Go back and read some of the quotas from Markkanen and Coach Hardy. In some of the news articles from late last season. Hardy even talks about how he saw him in a whole new way after watching that euro league play, and realizing he could expand Markkanen due to all of the skills coach saw Lauri use he didn’t realize Markkanen had.
And as far as the "responsibility of #1 option". JC took more shots last year until the final tanking phase. JC always had the ball in his hands end of quarter, end of game.
That’s always Been JC’s game. Even when DM was here except Quin never let JC finish games. Lauri isn’t a guy you give the ball to in those situations. lol

That’s always Been JC’s game. Even when DM was here except Quin never let JC finish games. Lauri isn’t a guy you give the ball to in those situations. lol
Well, this is Hardy's team. He's the one putting the ball in JC's hands, not Lauri's. How's that the responsibility of #1 option?

And sure, let's not give the ball to one of the most efficient scorers in the league. Great thinking!

(Believing that full on iso, one guy pounding the rock for 23 seconds and then chucking some **** up is the only strategy for end of game situations is just flabbergasting. Yesterday the Jazz got as good a shot to win the game as you can. Not from Keyonte pounding the ball and heaving, but every player on the court moving, Keyonte driving, passing and Lauri being open in the corner.)

Well, this is Hardy's team. He's the one putting the ball in JC's hands, not Lauri's. How's that the responsibility of #1 option?

And sure, let's not give the ball to one of the most efficient scorers in the league. Great thinking!

(Believing that full on iso, one guy pounding the rock for 23 seconds and then chucking some **** up is the only strategy for end of game situations is just flabbergasting. Yesterday the Jazz got as good a shot to win the game as you can. Not from Keyonte pounding the ball and heaving, but every player on the court moving, Keyonte driving, passing and Lauri being open in the corner.)
Do your research before you flap your *** cheeks. Markkanen has averaged more attempts each of the two years he and JC have been teammates. Idiot.

We play Atlanta twice and Houston three times. Go 0-5 in those games and we’re good. Our schedule is brutal down the stretch if teams are healthy and trying.

Clarkson gets a lot of deserved hate, but he's gotten better at passing and playmaking. The issue this year is that he just can't shoot. Hopefully next year he comes into the year with a better understanding of what the team needs from him

The more I think about the trades the more I feel like the FO revealed their hand.

Few points as to why:
  • We sold to the bottom-feeders instead of the contenders in a trade market that was starving for quality upgrades. There was much more to squeeze from the contending teams, like we saw the Hornets do.
  • Instead of wanting young players back who could be closer to being useful for the "Lauri timeline", we took picks.
  • Instead of going after liquid future assets that we can save until next years in-season market, we took two picks that are already known to land in the 25-35 range in this next draft and that have to be used now one way or another

The problem with this “instead of” argument is that it assumes we had optionality.

1. You assume that contending teams offered us better trades than the teams we transacted with, and our FO rejected the higher value. This assumes our FO is wholly incompetent.

2. You assume we were offered high potential young players for KO/ LS 30 game rentals. This assumes opposing FOs are wholly incompetent.

3. You assume that we were offered future first with little to no protection in out years. For KO/ls 30 game rental. You are really overvaluing what we traded.

Clarkson gets a lot of deserved hate, but he's gotten better at passing and playmaking. The issue this year is that he just can't shoot. Hopefully next year he comes into the year with a better understanding of what the team needs from him
He also forgot how to dribble for a while. He’s always going to be a roller coaster.