What's new

Does Exum have the body type to gain significant weight?

magic

Will Exum be able to gain the same type of weight that Hayward did this past off-season? I’m asking this because some people are just naturally skinny or have a hard time putting on weight and muscle. Rudy Gobert for instance. I believe Gobert worked out during the summer, but he wasn’t able to put on much weight at all, let alone the same weight gain as Hayward.

If Exum can in fact accomplish a similar weight gain that Hayward did, and if Exum just focuses on his ball-handling skills (and attacking the rim) all summer, then the Jazz are going to be freaking amazing next year!

Exum can already get past people, even with his loose handles. He’s so fast he surprises even himself, so he often doesn’t know what to do when he does beat his defender. But it’s been especially interesting these past two games in which they call a play for Exum to start on the wing and then dribble down the center and put up a small floater. He made the shot against the Kings, but missed it against the Pelicans.

If Exum gains 15-20 pounds by spending the entire summer at P3, that play isn’t going to be a floater, but rather a straight up hammer dunk. Exum will go from being a whimp to a straight up bully. If he actually gains those 15 pounds, that would probably make him the biggest point guard in the league.

On top of that Favors will be improving and nearing his prime. Gobert will be slightly better offensively and in contention for defensive player of the year, and Hayward will be in his prime and a reliable go to guy to finish off games.

While all this is happening most of the best teams will be regressing. It’s actually not too hard to imagine that we can get 3rd in the West if Dante is able to do this. So maybe it’s time to go out and get that final piece via free agency (i.e Wesley Matthews). Maybe we need to overpay him and alleviate some of that by trading away Burks.

I’ll admit this is risky, as it depends on Exum actually accomplishing this over the summer, which he might not do. But the potential has me excited nonetheless!

He doesn't need to gain as much as Gordon. His weight is not the problem, his core-strength is... If he gets close to what Alec is(10-15 more pounds in 3 years), that'd be great... His strength, though, needs to improve significantly...

He doesn't need to gain as much as Gordon. His weight is not the problem, his core-strength is... If he gets close to what Alec is(10-15 more pounds in 3 years), that'd be great... His strength, though, needs to improve significantly...

And stamina, needs to burn that treadmill next summer.

I don't want him to gain much more wait then what he's at maybe 5-7 lb's. He needs to be lighter on his feet and be able to stay with those quick small pg's. I'd like to see him become a taller longer Devin Harris. Unless a pg has the Westbrook type of athletic ability, which X doesn't have then it's better to be lighter and super quick

Will Exum be able to gain the same type of weight that Hayward did this past off-season?

I think Hayward is a good comparison, and I expect Exum to eventually be able to put on that much additional muscle. But it's not going to happen all in one off season.

Body weight overrated on a lot of guys. People were saying the same thing about Kevin Durant, KG, Kareem. It works for certain people like Dwight Howard gaining weight and I think Kanter should gain weight to be Jusuf Nurkic weight. With that being said he is like what 190 according to google? Michael Jordan and Kobe were 215ish it seems. I think 10-15 pounds would probably be good on him. Maybe a little more.

Last edited:
He just needs to get a foundation of strength first that doesn't necessarily mean that he has to put on 15-20.

Agree. I'm thinking of a 6-6 speed demon. As a pg with just average athletic ability, adding extra weight can hurt and slow him down. I don't want a Hayward type of transformation.

He just needs to get a foundation of strength first that doesn't necessarily mean that he has to put on 15-20.

So you guys don't think Hayward gained any core strength this past summer? I said gain the same type of weight as Hayward for a reason...

And given his height, I think 15 more pounds is ideal for him (assuming the right type of weight gain). Probably won't happen over one summer, but if it does that'd be amazing.

I would like to see him with a build like Alec.

Burks is very very fast and attacks the rim constantly.

Significant weight? We don't want him to be fat. His speed is his his skill.
I think a build similar to Burks would be enough strength to handle some contract and still retain his speed

So you guys don't think Hayward gained any core strength this past summer? I said gain the same type of weight as Hayward for a reason...

And given his height, I think 15 more pounds is ideal for him (assuming the right type of weight gain). Probably won't happen over one summer, but if it does that'd be amazing.

Exum is not going to put on 15 lean pounds this summer. He's going to get stronger and put on 5 lbs then tell the media he put on 10. You are assuming all things being equal including experience with training in the off season, body type, etc. The reality is Exum has never properly trained his body for the NBA which is a skill that needs to be developed and will take years to do so.

I hope he works really hard this off-season (and every other one) and perpetually improves. I couldn't careless how he does it, as long as it's effective. I trust the professional people he and the Jazz can hire to advise him regarding this situation.

Exum is not going to put on 15 lean pounds this summer. He's going to get stronger and put on 5 lbs then tell the media he put on 10. You are assuming all things being equal including experience with training in the off season, body type, etc. The reality is Exum has never properly trained his body for the NBA which is a skill that needs to be developed and will take years to do so.

If it's 10 I'd be happy since I think with proper nutrition it's easily feasible, and I think he really needs that weight to take it to the defense. I don't think he'd lose one bit of speed; just the opposite, he'd be faster. But the reality is that you're probably right, he'll add 5 lbs and still be much stronger with much more stamina, then in two seasons he'll add another 5 lbs.

Exum needs more than weight gain and a handle. He needs to learn to knock down shots off the dribble.

27wt02d.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

No Hayward had the core strength already. This last offseason he just added muscle all around, which allows him to finish through contact more.