What's new

Does Exum have the body type to gain significant weight?

In 1993 Michael Jordan weighed 195 lbs, he wasn't 215 until his later years with the Washington Wizards. He stayed around 195 most of his career. His strength was incredible, quickness, etc. Exum wont be Michael Jordan, no one will, but my point is his weight isn't the key to gaining strength. He needs to replace fat calories with muscle. He should maintain the same weight, but still improve in other aspects of his game. You only want extremely skinny players to gain weight, if its a must. Not usually your point guard. Exum could gain a little because of his young age, but you dont want him to pack on 15 lbs at a 6 ft 6 pg position.

In 1993 Michael Jordan weighed 195 lbs, he wasn't 215 until his later years with the Washington Wizards. He stayed around 195 most of his career. His strength was incredible, quickness, etc. Exum wont be Michael Jordan, no one will, but my point is his weight isn't the key to gaining strength. He needs to replace fat calories with muscle. He should maintain the same weight, but still improve in other aspects of his game. You only want extremely skinny players to gain weight, if its a must. Not usually your point guard. Exum could gain a little because of his young age, but you dont want him to pack on 15 lbs at a 6 ft 6 pg position.

sound logic, steph curry is too big for nba game today.

The reality is Exum has never properly trained his body for the NBA which is a skill that needs to be developed and will take years to do so.

His high school was a friggin' world renowned sports academy, and isn't the story that leading up to the draft he was living in Los Angeles training for the draft? He has trained plenty. If anything, he probably needs a few months off. If he goes to P3, his training program should be to lay in a hammock for 3 months.

Last edited:
His high school was a friggin' world renowned sports academy, and isn't the story that leading up to the draft he was living in Los Angeles training for the draft? He has trained plenty. If anything, he probably needs a few months off. If he goes to P3, his training program should be to lay in a hammock for 3 months.

I don't think the issue ever was about him having access to things during the off season. 3 months in a hammock? Is that you Greg Ostertag?

This has been my training program for years. I've put on all kinds of weight. I promise it works. You just have to be willing to commit to it. #Ibelieve

He was gasping for breath after three times up and down the court earlier in the year. He needs to fire his trainer if that's what a summer of training got him. He will be a totally different person in two years after eating right and training properly.

Working out during the summer doesn't get you in shape for games. He was just 18 while he was working out, his body hasn't had time to mature. He isn't going to blow up at age 19. It took Hayward 4 years of off-season workouts to reach his current level of strength. Players workout during the summer to gain strength, but lose a lot of it during the course of a season, so it's take multiple years of strength training to really build that foundation.

Significant weight? We don't want him to be fat. His speed is his his skill.

At question is adding muscle, not fat.

And yes, he most definitely can add weight and not lose speed. Look at the boy types of sprinters.

Look at body types of faster players in the NBA: Bledsoe, Hardin, James, Teague, Chris Paul, Ellis, Rondo, Parker, Kyrie, Westbrook, Rose. Not many skinny dudes in the bunch (Parker, Paul).

As states before, the real issue is being able to shoot off dribble. The strength will come. The aspect of his game which he both needs to add and is yet in question is his shot off the dribble!!

Well if Bear did it, so can everyone.

Rudy-Gobert_full_diapos_large1.jpg

463103054-rudy-gobert-of-the-utah-jazz-works-against-gettyimages.jpg