What's new

Dok at the rim

Don't forget Dok has had two serious injuries the last couple of seasons. Both could not have helped his conditioning. The more confidence he gets that his body is not going to fail him, the better shape he will probably get in.

Whiteside likely gets a higher offer from another team that we won’t want to match anyways. I know he’s not restricted but you get the gist.
I think he's a minimum dude forever but someone may roll out the BAE. I'm always shocked when backup centers get paid... like Robin Lopez in Orlando or any of the guys we signed for more than the minimum. If he does there are always dudes available. Roll with Doke either way.

Whiteside has motivation and general goofiness concerns. I'm guessing Philly signs him next season to a minimum deal. He was basically on his last chance here imo.

Sarah Todd is not a Whiteside fan to be sure and she's seen players with motivation issues in other cities. Hopefully he keeps it together.

The only criticism I have is really rebounding. For a guy with great hands he needs to bring a few more of those in. There is more to it, but there are times he has decent position and the ball ends up coming off his hands and going elsewhere.
I agree, I think it's a bit weird how he seemingly has great hands when it comes to catching passes, but will fumble a bunch of rebounds that are right there. He also mistimes his rebounds a lot, but practice will probably improve that a lot.

He could have ended David Nwaba's career last night if he hadn't stayed down while Nwaba jumped over him. In this particular case, I'm good with the choice Dok made.
Yep it is good. And we wouldn’t want him going too far the other direction. A big part of his appeal to me is his chill factor. Unlike Whiteside and, to a lesser extent, Gobert, Dok is just completely unflappable out there, at least from what I’ve seen.

Last edited:
I am in the small minority but I always liked the Dok pick and that has never changed. It was a role of the dice but most people in that draft range are. And given how important the Center position is in our scheme, finding back ups who can do what we need and who want to come to Utah is not near as easy as some seem to think. Not sure Dok will make it but he has a nice upside with his raw tools. It is good to keep in mind that many bigs develop a little slowly. I worry that he might be injury prone.

We easily have the best big man depth in the NBA. If we win a ring this year it would be a blessing to give Rudy/Hassan their first ring, and give Dok championship experience.
No Joe sours it a bit. I would feel so bad for Joe to be the stalwart he was for 8 season to be on the outside looking in as we win a trophy. Don't get me wrong, I want the trophy. It would just come tinged with sadness that Joe isn't part of it.

I am in the small minority but I always liked the Dok pick and that has never changed. It was a role of the dice but most people in that draft range are. And given how important the Center position is in our scheme, finding back ups who can do what we need and who want to come to Utah is not near as easy as some seem to think. Not sure Dok will make it but he has a nice upside with his raw tools. It is good to keep in mind that many bigs develop a little slowly. I worry that he might be injury prone.
:cool: I was in that small group as well. I think the fact that we had Gobert and Faves, most thought a wing would've been the way to go and I had to agree. That being said, if you could go back and look at posts, I thought that Dok was the best overall pick available. He was raw but he has amazing upside with that size and athletic ability.

Any chance we can transplant Dok's hands on to Rudy?

I'll say one thing for the dude, he can catch a basketball in traffic.

He will become as legendary for that one catch as DedEx did for bothering Harden for a minute and a half that one time.

If we can do this, why stop there? Treat this like organ harvesting/donation.

Give his rebounding ability to Bojan.
Give his shot-blocking presence to Royce.
Give his size to Donovan.
Give his sense of humor to Quin.
Give his salary to me.
Give his free throw shooting to Steph.
Give his stamina to LeBron.

If we can do this, why stop there? Treat this like organ harvesting/donation.

Give his rebounding ability to Bojan.
Give his shot-blocking presence to Royce.
Give his size to Donovan.
Give his sense of humor to Quin.
Give his salary to me.
Give his free throw shooting to Steph.
Give his stamina to LeBron.

Lol
I too want his salary

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

So let me get this straight. We can safely transition from being disappointed in DL and Dok, to liking Dok without fear of retribution or disdain?