What's new

Don/Rudy ESPN Article

He's almost 24... one bad relationship/interaction doesn't say everything about a guy's maturity/character. There is the possibility that Rudy did something behind closed doors that was more egregious than touching some mics.

I wish he handled it differently... I hope he really tries to meet Rudy half way and that he improves... either way I still think he's a very mature young man.
Changing his profile pics over some social media comments and lashing out over that is also pretty immature.

I’ll also say this, Rudy shouldn’t have agreed to do this article and poked at the issue again as well. Why do this? Just decline to comment on it and go play basketball at this point. All this does is agitate the situation again and I’m sure annoy Donovan further.

Changing his profile pics over some social media comments and lashing out over that is also pretty immature.

I’ll also say this, Rudy shouldn’t have agreed to do this article and poked at the issue again as well. Why do this? Just decline to comment on it and go play basketball at this point. All this does is agitate the situation again and I’m sure annoy Donovan further.

I don’t agree with your comments about Rudy. He didn’t say anything bad if anything takes the blame and admits he’s a jerkoff.

He's almost 24... one bad relationship/interaction doesn't say everything about a guy's maturity/character. There is the possibility that Rudy did something behind closed doors that was more egregious than touching some mics.

I wish he handled it differently... I hope he really tries to meet Rudy half way and that he improves... either way I still think he's a very mature young man.

Agree to disagree. I see his “maturity” as scripted branding.

Agree to disagree. I see his “maturity” as scripted branding.
I can see why someone would think that... I tend to think he is really genuine but is prepared and deliberate. Even if it is scripted branding I think it would be a mature thing to plan what you want your brand to be and execute it to the extent he has.

I see your point though.

I don’t agree with your comments about Rudy. He didn’t say anything bad if anything takes the blame and admits he’s a jerkoff.
Yeah, but Donovan seems to have an issue with it being a story. The best way to repair the relationship is probably not rehashing it out again days after both of them talked to local media and tried to put it behind them. Now it’s a headline again and I guarantee Donovan is annoyed by it. This is certainly Rudy’s side of making himself look better. I guarantee this annoys Donovan more than it helps. Awkward plane ride lol.

I can see why someone would think that... I tend to think he is really genuine but is prepared and deliberate. Even if it is scripted branding I think it would be a mature thing to plan what you want your brand to be and execute it to the extent he has.

I see your point though.

That’s fair.

Yeah, but Donovan seems to have an issue with it being a story. The best way to repair the relationship is probably not rehashing it out again days after both of them talked to local media and tried to put it behind them. Now it’s a headline again and I guarantee Donovan is annoyed by it. This is certainly Rudy’s side of making himself look better. I guarantee this annoys Donovan more than it helps. Awkward plane ride lol.

Maybe you’re right. Who ****ing knows.

Yep, still feel like this is mostly on DM. Dude needs to shake some **** off.....
I also don't want to be that guy... but some of the underlying issues are made worse by playing Conley in the starting lineup... Joe started most of December, January, February... Rudy's scoring was up a few pts in December and January... Joe was also playing a lot better... and that starting lineup is one of the league's best 5 man lineups.

February rolls in and Mike replaces Royce in the starting lineup... Rudy's numbers go down... Joe's numbers go down. Joe is the best at getting Rudy the ball but we prioritize making a 33 year old pg work in our starting lineup rather than maximizing our best player and getting our most important role player in the correct role.

It just makes zero sense... Quin knows it... he tried to fix it. DL and the front office didn't want to look like they failed so they force a less than ideal setup on the coach. Now the friction between the star players has boiled over a little. Maybe just let the coach do his job mkay.

Been saying this since the very beginning:

You can't judge Donovan until you know what Rudy did to him in the lockerroom.

Donovan ignoring Rudy isn't immature. Donovan changing his social media isn't immature. Touching all the media mics is immature. Telling Donovan to pass the "GD ball more" in a live interview is immature. What Rudy did to Donovan and/or his stuff was immature.

Quit being blinded by your hard on for Rudy so much that you bash Donovan.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Tim MacMahon on ESPN 700 today:

“I’m sure they’ll try to get him to sign a 5 year max” “there is some speculation that this is kind of Donovan and his camp planting seeds to eventually get out of Utah, the people I talked to pushed back against that, but there is that speculation around the league”

So see now the speculation begins, and it goes from smoke to fire at some point. He doesn’t sign a 5 year max in October with no options, start looking to trade him the next day.

Last edited:

Donovan ignoring Rudy isn't immature. Donovan changing his social media isn't immature. Touching all the media mics is immature. Telling Donovan to pass the "GD ball more" in a live interview is immature. What Rudy did to Donovan and/or his stuff was immature.

Neither guy needs to be bashed... both guys share in the blame pie here. If nothing serious happened in the locker room then DM deserves a much bigger part of that pie. If Rudy did something bad like used his toothbrush or something along those lines then DM is justified in his response. I think that would have come out though... I'm beginning to doubt that anything happened in the locker room.

The live interview thing was funny ribbing... dude interrupted his interview... thats just dudes talking and isn't a big deal. Joe Ingles says that type of **** all the time and is viewed as a the glue that keeps the team together.

Justifying bad behavior by pointing the finger and saying “mommy he did this to me first” is childish. Nah. No excuses. Both have been childish.

Neither guy needs to be bashed... both guys share in the blame pie here. If nothing serious happened in the locker room then DM deserves a much bigger part of that pie. If Rudy did something bad like used his toothbrush or something along those lines then DM is justified in his response. I think that would have come out though... I'm beginning to doubt that anything happened in the locker room.

The live interview thing was funny ribbing... dude interrupted his interview... thats just dudes talking and isn't a big deal. Joe Ingles says that type of **** all the time and is viewed as a the glue that keeps the team together.
If nothing happened, then I'll hold Donovan accountable for sure. I'm not picking sides; I'm pointing out how hypocritical some are being. Some are rationalizing Rudy's actions and nitpicking Donovan's.

This whole thing is bogus. Let's play and see what happens. If something happens after they get together for the remainder of the season, then we can address it at that time.

Justifying bad behavior by pointing the finger and saying “mommy he did this to me first” is childish. Nah. No excuses. Both have been childish.
Read my post above. Its not about sides so people need to stop that. It's like some of you want this team torn apart.

Read my post above. Its not about sides so people need to stop that. It's like some of you want this team torn apart.

You’re right it’s not about sides. Both are to blame and only one is taking responsibility for it. Donovan is receiving more criticism because he’s been a closed book and is starting to look like a snake finding a way to rack up excuses and plant seeds to leave. That’s the issue here. There’s blame to go around, no one is specifically to blame.

Also Tim MacMahon: “it was on a scale of 2 out of 10 tension before Covid hit. That was Rudy’s fault. Whatever it’s raised to now, is Donovan’s fault”

Also, Tim a month or so ago said he felt Donovan wanted to be here. Today on radio we’ve reached the point of“there is speculation around the league that Donovan and his team may be using this to plant seeds to leave”.

In regards to Rudy: “Rudy made it very clear to me he wants to be in Utah, the Jazz want him in Utah” and that he doesn’t know exactly what Rudy expects in regards to a contract but he wouldn’t be surprised if they could come to an agreement far south of the super max to keep him in Utah.

Idk, you see the stark differences here as to why fans may not feel real warm towards Donovan in some ways right now vs Rudy?

Last edited:

Give this interview a listen... I think the organization gets an F on handling this too. No one wanted to piss off Don. Not super impressed with DL and crew this year.

Give this interview a listen... I think the organization gets an F on handling this too. No one wanted to piss off Don. Not super impressed with DL and crew this year.

Listen to the full... not the short one

What Tim also mentions during that interview is he wanted to release the story a long time ago but Donovan was refusing to give any sort of comment on it so he didn’t put the finishing touches on it until Donovan finally spoke last Friday so that he at least had some sort of comment from him for the article. So it looks as though me blaming Rudy for rehashing this was wrong. Tim had been putting this story together for a long time and didn’t want to release it until Donovan spoke so he could put the final touches on it. So again.....Donovan let this drag out way farther than it needed to.