What's new

Donald is about to go through some things...

If you believe this statement to be true, then Trump isn't the bogeyman you're looking for and the trust was broken before the election ever happened.

We were all told by the government that schools had to shut down to save the children. That wasn't true.
Masks would protect you and double masks..... Not true.
Authorities said the vaccine would make you immune and stop the transmission of COVID. Again this wasn't true.
Scientists wrote a widely circulated paper claiming COVID being man-made and leaking from a lab was impossible. Their now published Slack messages show they felt the opposite was true.
Businesses were shut down and arrows were put in aisles because if you went the wrong way in a supermarket then you'd get COVID.
Governments closed parks and beaches.
Two weeks to stop the spread.

It was lie after lie after lie after lie from the government all as an excuse to institute the most authoritarian environment most Americans had ever lived under. Then the election happened with new rules the government made up about 5 minutes before they started counting the votes.

The actions Trump took in the aftermath were horrible, but he wasn't the one who broke institutional trust. The institutions did that and Trump only read the room in an attempt to use that broken trust to his own advantage.
Being wrong isn't the same as lying and you know that. Of course you won't admit it, so it isn't worth responding I guess. Just a troll doing troll things.

If you believe this statement to be true, then Trump isn't the bogeyman you're looking for and the trust was broken before the election ever happened.
Trump was spreading these lies in 2016, the only reason one might forget is that he stopped after he squeaked out a win.

We were all told by the government that schools had to shut down to save the children.
I wasn't told that. I heard it was to prevent the spread of the disease.

I wasn't told that. I heard one wore a mask to protect others.

Authorities said the vaccine would make you immune and stop the transmission of COVID. Again this wasn't true.
It was true for the majority of the population for a limited time.

Scientists wrote a widely circulated paper claiming COVID being man-made and leaking from a lab was impossible. Their now published Slack messages show they felt the opposite was true.
The messages reveal it was possible, not likely.

Businesses were shut down and arrows were put in aisles because if you went the wrong way in a supermarket then you'd get COVID.
???

It was lie after lie after lie after lie from the government all as an excuse to institute the most authoritarian environment most Americans had ever lived under. Then the election happened with new rules the government made up about 5 minutes before they started counting the votes.
Would it have been better to shut people out of voting?

The actions Trump took in the aftermath were horrible, but he wasn't the one who broke institutional trust. The institutions did that and Trump only read the room in an attempt to use that broken trust to his own advantage.
Trump as the person in charge during the events you describe.

We were all told by the government that schools had to shut down to save the children. That wasn't true.

Dude, most countries did partial or full shutdowns in an attempt to control the spread of the virus. Do you honestly think it's a conspiracy to oppress you by making you wear a mask and stand 6 feet apart in checkout lines, instead of just a scramble to find ways to keep number of cases from spiraling out of control?

Dude, most countries did partial or full shutdowns in an attempt to control the spread of the virus. Do you honestly think it's a conspiracy to oppress you by making you wear a mask and stand 6 feet apart in checkout lines, instead of just a scramble to find ways to keep number of cases from spiraling out of control?
I think that as authoritarian the government's restrictions were, that they needed to be correct or trust in the institutions pushing these restrictions would be damaged. After a year it became clear they weren't right, and they were slow to admit when they were wrong if they ever admitted they were wrong. A loss of faith in those institutions is only natural.

I think that as authoritarian the government's restrictions were, that they needed to be correct or trust in the institutions pushing these restrictions would be damaged. After a year it became clear they weren't right, and they were slow to admit when they were wrong if they ever admitted they were wrong. A loss of faith in those institutions is only natural.

What would have been the purpose of said authoritarianism? Hurting the economy for a year? Masks do provide some protection. And so do the vaccines. The pandemic was sudden, and it wasn't initially clear how effective those measures would be. But the government, which is made up by regular people with different ideas, interests, etc, was trying to find ways not to overwhelm the health care system.

What would have been the purpose of said authoritarianism?
There were a lot of authorities and a lot of purposes, but mostly I think it boiled down to proving they had the ability to wield power. Arguably the most visible example is that of government schools.

It became clear within the first 10 weeks or so that young kids were neither susceptible nor a vector of transmission, but schools stayed closed for over a year. My school district, when they opened, ran a limited schedule Monday through Thursday because apparently COVID spreads to teachers on Fridays. The elected representative on the school boards refused to represent the will of the parents who overwhelmingly wanted the schools open. There was even the now infamous National School Board Administration working with the BIden DOJ to label discontented parents in such as way that use of the Patriot Act against them was justified.

The government should have opened the schools.

There were a lot of authorities and a lot of purposes, but mostly I think it boiled down to proving they had the ability to wield power. Arguably the most visible example is that of government schools.

It became clear within the first 10 weeks or so that young kids were neither susceptible nor a vector of transmission, but schools stayed closed for over a year. My school district, when they opened, ran a limited schedule Monday through Thursday because apparently COVID spreads to teachers on Fridays. The elected representative on the school boards refused to represent the will of the parents who overwhelmingly wanted the schools open. There was even the now infamous National School Board Administration working with the BIden DOJ to label discontented parents in such as way that use of the Patriot Act against them was justified.

The government should have opened the schools.

Where are you getting your information? Kids absolutely were a vector for transmission.

Younger kids more likely to spread virus​

A total of 15.8% of readings met the criteria for fever, making up 779,092 fever episodes. The number of fever episodes predicted new COVID-19 cases, which the researchers said lends validity to using fever as a proxy for infection. Of these cases, 15.4% were considered household transmissions, the percentage of which rose from 10.1% in March to July 2021 to 17.5% in the Omicron BA.1/BA.2 variant wave.

Among 166,170 households with both adult and child participants (51.9% of households with multiple participants), there were 516,159 participants, 51.4% of whom were children. In these households, 38,787 transmissions occurred, 40.8% of which were child to child, 29.6% child to adult, 20.3% adult to child, and 9.3% adult to adult. The median serial interval between the index and secondary cases was 2 days.

Of all households transmissions, 70.4% began with a child, with the proportion fluctuating weekly between 36.9% and 87.5%. Pediatric transmissions reached a high of 68.4% the week of September 27, 2020, and fell to a low of 41.7% the week of December 27, 2020 (0.61 times less frequent). The next high was 82.0% the week of May 23, 2021, which stayed stable until June 27 (81.4%) and then declined to 62.5% by August 8 (0.77 times less frequent).

The percentage of household transmissions beginning with a child then rose to 78.4% by September 19, hovering there until November 14 (80.3%) and then dropping to 54.5% the week of January 2, 2022 (0.68 times less frequent). By March 6, the proportion rose to 83.8%, fell to 62.8% the week ending July 24 (0.75 times less frequent), and then climbed to 84.6% the week of October 9.

Children aged 8 years and younger were more likely to be the source of transmission than those aged 9 to 17 (7.6% vs 5.8%). During most of the pandemic, the proportion of transmission from children was negatively correlated with new community COVID-19 cases.

From your sources:

Now look at the damage done to those kids by shutting down the schools.

The same article provides context for that:

"When the incidence of COVID-19 increases, adults in the community are at higher risk of infection; this may increase the likelihood that adults become the index case in a household transmission and explain the negative correlation we observed," they wrote.

The proportion of transmission by children decreases as cases increase overall, because adults are a more likely to be infected, and thus the more cases you have, the bigger the proportion of adult vectors.

The proportion of transmission by children decreases as cases increase overall, because adults are a more likely to be infected, and thus the more cases you have, the bigger the proportion of adult vectors.
Naturally, because COVID in children has a quota so all the COVID viruses read case statistics and if the case load is too high in an area then the COVID viruses in children decide not to be vectors of transmission so as to not go over their transmission quota. Or maybe the reason schools were statistically the safest place in any community is because children weren't a substantial vector of transmission, and everyone knew it early on, but government didn't open the schools and are now financing studies in an effort to distract from the obvious.

Now look at the damage done to children by closing the schools.

This is your interpretation of recent history as it pertains to the pandemic. I doubt it will stand the test of time. That’s your boogeyman you’re talking about. The observation I was resonating with pertained to the importance of trust in our elections in maintaining stability in our society and body politic. And the damage there was by Trump, not Fauci. Your “if’….”then” doesn’t work for me. Your version of history isn’t mine. And your conclusion has nothing to do with Stanley’s observation. You want to apply his observation to something other than what he was talking about, don’t think you can make it mine.

Last edited:
This is your interpretation of recent history as it pertains to the pandemic. I doubt it will stand the test of time. That’s your boogeyman you’re talking about. The observation I was resonating with pertained to the importance of trust in our elections in maintaining stability in our society and body politic. And the damage there was by Trump, not Fauci. Your “if’….”then” doesn’t work for me. Your version of history isn’t mine. And your conclusion has nothing to do with Stanley’s observation. You want to apply his observation to something other than what he was talking about, don’t think you can make it mine.
I pulled what was worth looking at because Stanley's observation, as he wrote it, was stupid.

#1 Everything is fascism and nothing is fascism. Anyone using that word in 2023 to describe a thing is talking nonsense.

#2 Democracy doesn't require trust in institutions. It is distributed rule. It requires trust in aggregate society.

American society does not have the level of trust in institutions today that it did before the pandemic. That is worth talking about. Drilling in to the opinions of some pseudo-intellectual who clearly loves the smell of his own farts, as he goes on about institutional facilitated democracy and the path to fascism is Cheetos.

American society does not have the level of trust in institutions today that it did before the pandemic. That is worth talking about.
That’s a surprise considering there was nobody pushing conspiracy theories, or anti-vax disinformation, or anything else that might cause people to distrust the government response to the pandemic.

Next week trump will be indicted again. This time in georgia for his attempts to interfere in the election in the state. I heard on the radio that if convicted he would not be able to be pardoned because it isn't a federal case.