What's new

Donovan Mitchell - CRT and Off Court Racial Issues were Draining

must say i found his "people who look like me" comment a bit odd
“People whose skin color I prefer”….odd? Nah he’s just racist(and emotionally abusive according to his ex girlfriend). He doesn’t like white people. That’s what he said with a little sugar on top.

You'll never root out all injustices and inequalities. But that is just my opinion.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but Donovan spreading stereotypes to his followers who are haters only make the problem worse.

Sent from my SM-T970 using JazzFanz mobile app
God I hope your not sending kids out into the world. If you haven't yet I'd strongly consider getting snipped. But that's just my opinion.

"But for me, I’m continuing to be an advocate for [racial equality] and to receive the amount of pushback I got over the years, it was a lot.""

Did Don expect being an advocate was easy? Poor guy, it isnt.

It's concerning but not really surprising to see the "it happens everywhere" card pop up. Nice to see that old chestnut still being roasted.

The fact that we're tacitly excusing this **** with this tired-arse excuse straight up validates everything Don said. The simple fact is, yes, it happens everywhere, but we are excusing the actions of people who do this with this BS handwave and the society that constantly allows them to do it. It's embarrassing and outright pathetic that we whitewash the actions of others with this tripe because we don't take a stand.

Nazis deserve to be punched. If I'm suspended for this remark, so be it. But call it out when you see it. Even if it's a "Bro, not cool." Call it out when you see it. Small things add up to big impacts. A twig does not dam a brook, but a bunch of twigs together change the environment.

"But for me, I’m continuing to be an advocate for [racial equality] and to receive the amount of pushback I got over the years, it was a lot.""

Did Don expect being an advocate was easy? Poor guy, it isnt.
I applaud Don for what he has done but he is learning a hard life lesson in all this. I am pretty sure in his growing up he didn't get much pushback on anything. Came from substantial money, private schools, always the star. I can't imagine he heard the word "no" much other than from like mom and dad, and I also imagine he had quite the following. He is a charismatic dude and very likeable, I can imagine he had people hanging on everything he did in school, following his trends, saying what he said, backing his every thought and opinion. His passive-aggressive style kind of speaks to that as well, as in my experience people who are not used to conflict or defending their position tend to be more passive-aggressive. Anyway, now he is a very public figure, and in the world there are PLENTY of people to disagree and try to tear you down. He is learning that. I do think a lower-diversity situation in a place like Utah was difficult to deal with when he wasn't really prepared for it, and being as vocal as he is about social issues that carry some level of controversy will inevitably lead to some rough interactions, to put it lightly. Imagine the pushback he would have run into in places where the BLM things devolved into full-on riots, like my daughter and her friends nearly got caught up in here in the LA area, whereas in Utah they were barely blips on the radar relatively speaking. He is obviously young and doesn't have a lot of experience in the world and my bet is he will reach a point where he looks back and says something like "wow, Utah wasn't too bad actually. Not a lot of black people, but pretty calm and quiet for the most part". He is taking on a difficult stance that is very laudable given his notoriety and the accompanying voice it gives him, and it will test his mettle no doubt, and he will learn a lot if he plans on carrying that flag high and proud for his whole life. He just needs to look at people like MLK and the like that even gave their lives for the cause, and he shouldn't be too surprised that a largely clueless white-majority populace in a place like Utah just couldn't really comprehend the issues, let alone support and champion them.

My bet is this partly explains the difference between his experience in Utah and the other black players who have lived there and love the state and city and even choose to stay, like Thurl. They have a broader experience base to draw from. If the worst thing he can point out is that a cop stopped him unnecessarily and then let him go when he saw he was famous, then that is really pretty minor, all things considered.

This does not mean I am downplaying his experience or his perception of it. Our perception is all we have, and it is very real and needs to be at least acknowledged. A 5-year-old's grief over losing his favorite toy is not any less real than an adult who has lost a close loved one, and cannot be discounted just because he hasn't had the life experiences yet that will change that perspective, and down playing someone's perceptions of a situation and the resulting emotional turmoil is just callous and cruel. I have been through some very heavy medical issues, but it gives me sympathy for others going through things that I might even view as minor by comparison, because it is NOT A ****ING CONTEST. It isn't about who has the best or worse situations, or who is "winning" in things like this. It is about coming together and doing the best we can to alleviate each other's burdens and help us all get through this ****ed-up life with some semblance of peace and happiness, and maybe even some comfort and success.

So I applaud Donovan's self-imposed mission and support it. But at the same time I can see how he could have a different experience and different perceptions than others might, even in similar situations.

By the way, I can be fully on his side in his championing of BLM and still feel he is less than genuine in other aspects of his life. We can agree in some areas, and even applaud and support, while disagreeing in others and even disliking someone that we acknowledge is doing good. Everything in life isn't, and doesn't have to be, all or nothing, black or white (no pun intended), yes or no. Life is mostly gray area with some black and white on the fringes.

It's concerning but not really surprising to see the "it happens everywhere" card pop up. Nice to see that old chestnut still being roasted.

The fact that we're tacitly excusing this **** with this tired-arse excuse straight up validates everything Don said. The simple fact is, yes, it happens everywhere, but we are excusing the actions of people who do this with this BS handwave and the society that constantly allows them to do it. It's embarrassing and outright pathetic that we whitewash the actions of others with this tripe because we don't take a stand.

Nazis deserve to be punched. If I'm suspended for this remark, so be it. But call it out when you see it. Even if it's a "Bro, not cool." Call it out when you see it. Small things add up to big impacts. A twig does not dam a brook, but a bunch of twigs together change the environment.
Well it is objectively true, unfortunately, and it is also objectively way worse in some places than others. However, the deplorable part is in excusing ****** behavior just because we see someone else behaving maybe slightly more ****** than we are, or even just equally or even less *****ily (is *****ily a word?). That is a ****** thing to do.

The whole Donovan thing just makes me very, very sad as a Jazz fan.
He's a MVP candidate this season. It was pretty obvious he was going to be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder.

I wish him well but personally won't be able to stomach watching any Cavs games in the postseason. Hated the fact he actually thanked the Mavericks for eliminating us. I'll just leave it at that.

When one city is getting bashed, that tends to be the response. If you take pride in the place you're from, it's natural for there to be a defense mechanism about it than to just go "wow, ok, you got our number, we suck."

It's not just with this issue either. If someone is bashing Baltimore or Chicago about crime, that'll be the response from their residents. Does that mean crime is not an issue in those areas? No, but nobody likes to hear criticism about it like they're the only place with it.

Weird….some of you don’t seem near as concerned with the fact he emotionally abused his last girlfriend as you are obsessing over making sure it’s known just how bad everyone in a place is vs the individual who’s a fraudulent human being overall.
When one city is getting bashed, that tends to be the response. If you take pride in the place you're from, it's natural for there to be a defense mechanism about it than to just go "wow, ok, you got our number, we suck."

It's not just with this issue either. If someone is bashing Baltimore or Chicago about crime, that'll be the response from their residents. Does that mean crime is not an issue in those areas? No, but nobody likes to hear criticism about it like they're the only place with it.
It’ll also be the response from the people sitting on their high horse in this thread.

Yes, we understand you were lying to make your point more dramatically.
I’m just putting what he said in more plain text. See, he just kindly said “I don’t like white people”. He’s a racist POS and should be called such. Also apparently treated his ex quite bad. What a wonderful PR campaign though am I right?

Respectfully to Salt Lake City, for you what was it like leaving a city that had a predominantly white population to one that is predominantly Black? Does it remind you more of being back home in New York?

It’s a little comforting for me, 100%. I’m not going to lie about that. It’s no secret there’s a lot of stuff that I dealt with being in Utah off the floor. If I’m being honest with you, I never really said this, but it was draining. It was just draining on my energy just because you can’t sit in your room and cheer for me and then do all these different things. I’m not saying specifically every fan, but I just feel like it was a lot of things. A [Utah] state senator [Stuart Adams] saying I need to get educated on my own Black history. Seeing Black kids getting bullied because of their skin color. Seeing a little girl [Isabella Tichenor] hang herself because she’s being bullied.

Man, it was just one thing after another. And I will say, it’s not the only place it happens. But for me, I’m continuing to be an advocate for [racial equality] and to receive the amount of pushback I got over the years, it was a lot.

Why is CRT in your thread title? I looked through the article you linked and I didn't see any mention of CRT. Did I miss it?

And what does CRT mean to you? I see it used in order to apply a negative connotation to anything and everything regarding racial inequality. It is primarily being used as a buzz word to dismiss real world issues by lumping them all together as some sort of extremist CRT thing.

Don’s ex Deja saying he emotionally abused her? Damn…almost like he’s a fake POS publicly. (I’m 100% right about the POS but keep going everyone) This is her response to his Utah comments lol…..almost like she saw those comments laughed and said….you’re fake as s*** let me expose you. (She tweeted he was an emotionally abusive POS when he was here too btw)

View: https://twitter.com/grizzimperative/status/1605609178700996608?s=46&t=N9P3lk9umQwicTWsBR24jA

That's vague AF.

People can leave a relationship and feel emotionally abused for a lot of reasons that don't require actual emotional abuse. Like if someone just isn't that into you but you are really into them, that can feel bad and you could even claim their lack of attention and affection towards you was a type of emotional abuse.

I'm not saying that legit emotional abuse didn't happen, but I'd need some actual specifics before I'd go around parroting her claim.

Why is CRT in your thread title? I looked through the article you linked and I didn't see any mention of CRT. Did I miss it?

And what does CRT mean to you? I see it used in order to apply a negative connotation to anything and everything regarding racial inequality. It is primarily being used as a buzz word to dismiss real world issues by lumping them all together as some sort of extremist CRT thing.

Did you read the article? Maybe you are unaware of the politics in this area but the politician that Don was referring to was specifically discussing CRT regarding Don.

Did you read the article? Maybe you are unaware of the politics in this area but the politician that Don was referring to was specifically discussing CRT regarding Don.
There is no discussion about CRT. There is a discussion about the hysteria where people call things that aren't CRT CRT so that they can freak out about it.

CRT is a boogeyman and I think you put it in the thread title to summon said boogeyman.

There is no discussion about CRT. There is a discussion about the hysteria where people call things that aren't CRT CRT so that they can freak out about it.

CRT is a boogeyman and I think you put it in the thread title to summon said boogeyman.

Your day job is a mind reader? You MUST be the laziest poster here on JazzFanz. Let me help you...

"It was just draining on my energy just because you can’t sit in your room and cheer for me and then do all these different things. I’m not saying specifically every fan, but I just feel like it was a lot of things. A [Utah] state senator [Stuart Adams] saying I need to get educated on my own Black history. "

Your day job is a mind reader? You MUST be the laziest poster here on JazzFanz. Let me help you...

"It was just draining on my energy just because you can’t sit in your room and cheer for me and then do all these different things. I’m not saying specifically every fan, but I just feel like it was a lot of things. A [Utah] state senator [Stuart Adams] saying I need to get educated on my own Black history. "

I just read the part you quoted. I dont see CRT anywhere in it. Can you bold it or something? I see something about a state senator saying Don needs to get educated on his own black history but no mention of CRT.