What's new

Donovan Mitchell is Tyreke Evans not D wade

It’s the reason I avoid the internet. And you really didn’t disagree. You just made an empty comment.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

It wasn't an empty comment. It was making fun of your meaningless comparison. I don't know why you think posting a screenshot of someone's stats is valuable contribution to the discussion.

It wasn't an empty comment. It was making fun of your meaningless comparison. I don't know why you think posting a screenshot of someone's stats is valuable contribution to the discussion.

It’s a comparison fella... we aren’t just talking about how we “feel” about the player. That’s how you get stuck with a mediocre guy with IBS... stats can be gaged and compared.

It’s a comparison fella... we aren’t just talking about how we “feel” about the player. That’s how you get stuck with a mediocre guy with IBS... stats can be gaged and compared.

Ya, but the context is important. Mitchell is the first option on a playoffs team. He's not jacking up shots to get empty numbers. He helps the team quite a bit with his gravity, and he's a few % points and better ft rate from being truly elite. Anyone can score an inefficient 20 ppg on a team like Phoenix (or the Kings in this case). Also, Mitchell tries really hard on both ends. He has been painful to watch at times, but he's in a different position from a scorer on a team trying to lose.

Ya, but the context is important. Mitchell is the first option on a playoffs team. He's not jacking up shots to get empty numbers. He helps the team quite a bit with his gravity, and he's a few % points and better ft rate from being truly elite. Anyone can score an inefficient 20 ppg on a team like Phoenix (or the Kings in this case). Also, Mitchell tries really hard on both ends. He has been painful to watch at times, but he's in a different position from a scorer on a team trying to lose.

Fair enough, and I can respect that. Thank you for adding to this thread instead of just smart *** comments to it. THATS WHAT I AM TALKING BOUT!

The truth is right now guys he’s neither. He’s not Monte Ellis or Evans and he’s not Wade either. We don’t really know at this point.

He is however struggling, which is fine, Donovan is beyond a hard working individual who cares about being the best he can be. What that is is TBD.

Jgolds, the comparison is not a perfect one by any means. Donovan and Evans careers are just not the same as far as the actual experience of it. Stats never tell an entire story.

Donovan is also not Wade right now. We hope he is. We don’t know what happens from here on out. It is entirely possible he isn’t as good as Wade but he will never end up like Evans. He cares too much. Sometimes reality can gut check what we hope for though and it’s really unknown who he ends up being. He’s Donovan Mitchell and we’ll see.

I also think there is an attachment to Donovan as a person and am glad there is, Donovan’s a good man, a hard working kid, who has a great heart. It’s okay to say he really hasn’t looked as good this season, his 3 point shot is in a bad place right now, at times you can see that he knows he is struggling and he’s not as confident. He puts out full effort night in and night out, but you can certainly see he’s scuffling right now. Last night I saw some of the old Donovan for sure, he looked great at moments, got teammates involved, and had a lot of rebounds last night.

He’s trying sooooo hard and cares soooo much. When that free throw bounced out I felt so bad for him. I think decision making is what he needs to work on, along with his 3 point shot some more. Last night when he got the steal off the inbounds down by 2 he dribbled away from Ingles and an open area on the court where he could have composed and gathered to go right into 2 Thunder players who then took it right back from him. He also took that pull up off the bounce 3 (he shoots at 20%)when the Jazz were down 4 and had the advantage on that break to probably get something better. On that last play, you can have whatever opinion you want but he went for the home-run dunk by cocking it back to put some extra juice on it. It’s why Westbrook was able to get it. You can’t watch the replay and see anything else. He thought he had beat everyone, cocked back, and Westbrook recovered. A layup, or even a 2 handed dunk, anything that kept the ball in front of him instead of cocking it back right into Westbrook’s path he scores on that play. It’s strange because Donovan hasn’t tried something aggressive like that hardly at all this year, of course he tries it with the game on the line lol. After that the free throws are just a fluke thing that happens to everyone at some point. Him missing the first that he needed to make and making the second he needed to miss really summed up the Jazz season and quite honestly his so far. Just hasn’t worked out like we had hoped.

Now, he’s young, none of these plays were that big of mistakes, and he will grow and get better, but the difference between good and great is some of those tiny things he could probably do different which are so easy to critique afterwards from an idiot like me on Jazzfanz. I love Don, I have patience for him. Who Don is as a player we will know more about in a couple more seasons.

tyreke was also a pure slasher, he didn't have any kind of 3ball.

Tyreke also had a markedly worse supporting cast, those Kings teams won 20-24 games.... How's this thread gonna carry on 2 pages without that being mentioned.

Hilton Armstrong C 6-11 235 November 11, 1984 us 3 University of Connecticut
40 Jon Brockman PF 6-7 255 March 20, 1987 us R University of Washington
18 Omri Casspi SF 6-9 225 June 22, 1988 il R
15 Joey Dorsey PF 6-8 268 December 16, 1983 us 1 University of Memphis
13 Tyreke Evans SG 6-6 220 September 19, 1989 us R University of Memphis
32 Francisco Garcia SG 6-7 195 December 31, 1981 do 4 University of Louisville
20 Donte Greene SF 6-11 226 February 21, 1988 de 1 Syracuse University
31 Spencer Hawes C 7-1 245 April 28, 1988 us 2 University of Washington
24 Carl Landry PF 6-9 248 September 19, 1983 us 2 Purdue University
23 Kevin Martin SG 6-7 199 February 1, 1983 us 5 Western Carolina University
24 Desmond Mason SF 6-7 224 October 11, 1977 us 9 Oklahoma State University
42 Sean May C 6-9 266 April 4, 1984 us 3 University of North Carolina
7 Dominic McGuire SF 6-9 220 October 20, 1985 us 2 University of California, California State University, Fresno
5 Andres Nocioni SF 6-7 225 November 30, 1979 ar 5
10 Sergio Rodriguez PG 6-3 176 June 12, 1986 es 3
17 Garrett Temple SG 6-6 195 May 8, 1986 us R Louisiana State University
9 Kenny Thomas PF 6-7 261 July 25, 1977 us 10 University of New Mexico
34 Jason Thompson C 6-11 250 July 21, 1986 us 1 Rider University
3 Ime Udoka SG 6-6 215 August 9, 1977 us 5 University of San Francisco, Portland State University
19 Beno Udrih

Evans shot 40% from 3 on 5.5 attempts per game last season FWIW.

BTW, Evans is a very talented player who could've been something special in the NBA. He's just not very driven. Always struck me as lazy and indifferent.

Strongly disagree. Tyreke Evans is a silent but deadly type. He's extremely intense, see his rationale for signing [a 1 year deal] with the Pacers... This kid came from a rough environment...

Quite honestly Donovan had a phenomenal performance last night for us. He made a few mistakes he will fix. The two worst mistakes I thought he made was the pull up 3 when the Jazz were down 4 with like 2 minutes left and going for the highlight reel play dunk with the game on the line. He had beat everyone and took time to gather, and also brought his arm back right to Westbrook. That half a second is so much the difference between good and great. You take the points not the Sportscenter highlight. Other than that Don was pretty Golden. A thread like this certainly shouldn’t have been started.

Don is injured to some degree. It's obvious he doesn't have the same consistent explosiveness as last year. We should hold off on judging him too harshly. Healing injuries must be brutal in the middle of an NBA season.

Strongly disagree. Tyreke Evans is a silent but deadly type. He's extremely intense, see his rationale for signing [a 1 year deal] with the Pacers... This kid came from a rough environment...
Yet he is shooting worse at the rim than Bojan Bogdanovic does from 3.

Don is injured to some degree. It's obvious he doesn't have the same consistent explosiveness as last year. We should hold off on judging him too harshly. Healing injuries must be brutal in the middle of an NBA season.
I think you’re wrong here, and it was obvious on that last play where he went for that dunk he is just fine. I do think he is being more careful this year. There was a lot of people saying he needed to be more careful on a lot of his plays last season and protect his knees. I personally feel like it has nothing to do with injury and everything to do with him overthinking it and being careful to protect himself at times without being aggressive enough. He avoids contact all the time (which is why he doesn’t get free throws despite going in the paint). He’s also wearing a lot more padding this year than last year. He wears padding all around his ribs as well as all of his legs from just above the knee. Like it’s cool, I want to see him be careful and healthy but I do think he thinks about it too much. When he wants to he really has no problem exploding. Some of it is also being a star and his tendencies are more known than they were last year.

Looking at their games and consistency I am leaning this way. I know he is young but he makes some interested choices. When the game gets close he seems a tad overwhelmed... regardless, I think this is a fair comparison. View attachment 6497

Patience. Patience. Patience. He's barely old enough to drink. He has incredible potential. Just sit back and let him develop. Trust in Quin and Dennis. They're much more intelligent than any of us.

I think you’re wrong here, and it was obvious on that last play where he went for that dunk he is just fine. I do think he is being more careful this year. There was a lot of people saying he needed to be more careful on a lot of his plays last season and protect his knees. I personally feel like it has nothing to do with injury and everything to do with him overthinking it and being careful to protect himself at times without being aggressive enough. He avoids contact all the time (which is why he doesn’t get free throws despite going in the paint). He’s also wearing a lot more padding this year than last year. He wears padding all around his ribs as well as all of his legs from just above the knee. Like it’s cool, I want to see him be careful and healthy but I do think he thinks about it too much. When he wants to he really has no problem exploding. Some of it is also being a star and his tendencies are more known than they were last year.

There might be more to it but Mitchell has stated multiple times he is hurt and has never been more injured ever in his life than this season. I tend to believe him. Just because he can go up for a big dunk doesnt mean he cant also be injured.

I would agree with this.

Poor comparison, Gold -- stats don't tell the real story. They are much different players. DM is smaller and quicker and has much better and more crafty moves to the basket, and a much better passer. Tyreke is more of a power guard and uses his strength to score inside. He is 3 inches or more taller.

Lmao.. uh no he’s not. He’s Dwade with a better three point shot. The DM hate is unreal. The kid has a bad stretch and all of the sudden the haters come out. Tell me when did Tyreke Evens average 24.4 ppg as the number 1 option in the playoffs? Must have missed that. Dumb comparison.
Kind of ironic considering Wade is shooting better from deep this season than Mitchell % wise. Also Mitchell is nowhere near Wade's level when it comes to playmaking for his team or getting to the FT line, and a closer look at Mitchell's game suggests that he might (key emphasis on "might", we all know he's athletic as hell) not even be as athletically talented as Wade considering he can't really explode off one leg like prime Wade could.

With all that being said, Tyreke Evans is a garbage comparison lol.

edit: and the Monta Ellis comparison is garbage too. Mitchell will turn it around at some stage, and when he does he'll be much closer to the Wade comarison than either one of those two.

There might be more to it but Mitchell has stated multiple times he is hurt and has never been more injured ever in his life than this season. I tend to believe him. Just because he can go up for a big dunk doesnt mean he cant also be injured.
He has been injured more, but I’m not sure many of those things are still nagging on him. The hamstring and ribs seem to be okay. If he wasn’t okay I don’t think he’d be playing. The risk of a nagging hamstring wouldn’t really allow that type of explosion. He may not be perfect, but even so, it’s something I think he’ll have to learn to play with. I think the Jazz have honestly been very careful with him which is good. This home stand gives him a chance to get healthy in a lot of ways and have more treatment done probably.