What's new

Donovan Mitchell on Woj's Podcast

Donovan is very special.....like very special....very very very special.....did I mention he’s special?

Like I said before, if Donovan can’t do this, no one can.

When asked about recruiting he says "Coach P and Coach Johnson taught me some things" and Woj laughs. Those were the guys who got fired for arranging the payments to players and their families lol.

Most interesting part for me is this:

Growing up he was team LeBron all the way when debating LeBron or Kobe. When he got in the league he started really paying attention to Kobe because of his singular focus. And listening to him I can hear a lot of Kobe in there in all the best ways.

HOLY **** THIS IS HAPPENING TO US ISN'T IT?

When asked about recruiting he says "Coach P and Coach Johnson taught me some things" and Woj laughs. Those were the guys who got fired for arranging the payments to players and their families lol.

Talking about recruiting, he mentions that he always talks to Chris Paul and Paul George(if I'm not mistaken). Would there be a possibility of Donovan prying Paul George to sign with us and make a championship run?

I'm as far away from cap knowledgeable as you can get, so please be kind, guys! LOL

Talking about recruiting, he mentions that he always talks to Chris Paul and Paul George(if I'm not mistaken). Would there be a possibility of Donovan prying Paul George to sign with us and make a championship run?

I'm as far away from cap knowledgeable as you can get, so please be kind, guys! LOL

He mentioned he would "be making that call" to Paul George. We can get there cap wise if we need too, but it would likely be some sort of sign and trade. You get the meeting then figure the other stuff out. We aren't completely flexible, but could offer likely put together some sort of sign and trade or use some assets to move salary around.

As much as I love Donovan, and believe he's a super star, i don't think he has that type of clout just yet tbh. It's worth the call for certain, the chances of it happening IMO are slim. As far as cap space you can make it happen but you pretty much have to let Favs walk, while also renouncing your rights to all the guys like Thabo, Jonas, Ekpe, etc. It would be worth it for sure. If he can get PG to sit down and meet with the Jazz, even if he doesn't sign here it will be worth something, and I even think sitting down with the Jazz helps guys understand it's actually a good spot to be in. If you're looking at it from a strictly basketball standpoint, PG is the perfect fit, the perfect need, and exactly what would put the Jazz from being a borderline contender, to a contender that could knock at Golden States door. Add PG to this team and you're staring down the opportunity of a championship, likelihood of it happening are slim, but we can dream right? And at least we have a guy who's willing to go out there and advocate for the cause. That will mean even more as he gets more time, success, recognition and respect around the league. If you're the Jazz and Donovan, you do what you can to get PG to sit down with you.

You also have to like what Donovan also said about it would be great to add that extra piece, but that he/the team trust sort of "the process" from within as well if it doesn't happen.

I think it's possible. Probably not likely, but possible. And like oneye said, it would be painful but the Jazz could probably make it happen financially.

Says he recruited 4 or 5 guys that signed at Louisville - said July 1st he's making that call to Paul George
I know teams have to wait until Jul 1 to avoid tampering, but there's no such rule for individual players, is there?

I know teams have to wait until Jul 1 to avoid tampering, but there's no such rule for individual players, is there?

Nope... they can talk openly about it.

It would be reckless for him to say they had talked but I’m fairly sure he has mentioned it... it would be good to get on his list though. Helps perception imo if guys are considering it... how much? Probably not a ton.

If we had our core in place and a ready made salary slot to fit PG I could see interest being a little more serious for both parties.

Don’t we?

I mean like Ricky, Dante, are signed and we have a full max slot available.

We could make a max slot, but it takes some work and sacrifice (might have to trade Ricky, waive Exum, or trade AB&Crowder without salary and give up picks). Next year we can have a max slot, but may have to waive Ricky's caphold to get there.

It is an easier convo if we have the slot and those things are in place and you can point and say these 7 guys are here with you. Right now you could say we have Rudy, DM, and Ingles (ricky?) plus you.

I also think we need to show it for one more year. 2019 is the perfect time to strike.

We need to start a twitter campaign talking about how KD is not good enough to do it on his own. Really pour it on... need to try and piss him off and break up the warriors.

I mean like Ricky, Dante, are signed and we have a full max slot available.

We could make a max slot, but it takes some work and sacrifice (might have to trade Ricky, waive Exum, or trade AB&Crowder without salary and give up picks). Next year we can have a max slot, but may have to waive Ricky's caphold to get there.

It is an easier convo if we have the slot and those things are in place and you can point and say these 7 guys are here with you. Right now you could say we have Rudy, DM, and Ingles (ricky?) plus you.

I also think we need to show it for one more year. 2019 is the perfect time to strike.
But PG is only a free agent now, and an absolute perfect fit on the team. If a top 15 guy who could put your team over the hump wants to play on your team you make it happen.

Let Favors and Exum walk, get rid of all the non guaranteed guys, and use our pick to move Burks potentially? I’m sure there is a way to make it happen. And wouldn’t we still be able to use the MLE at that point?

But to be able to speak with some authority? Like.. "Paul look outside the window, see that limo? Get in."