What's new

Donovan Mitchell on Woj's Podcast

But PG is only a free agent now, and an absolute perfect fit on the team. If a top 15 guy who could put your team over the hump wants to play on your team you make it happen.

Let Favors and Exum walk, get rid of all the non guaranteed guys, and use our pick to move Burks potentially? I’m sure there is a way to make it happen. And wouldn’t we still be able to use the MLE at that point?

Trading AB costs something though... likely a 2019 first... you need to waive Thabo by 7/1.

The rest of the moves can wait. Jonas & Ekpe can wait until 7/9... Can offer Exum the QO and then rescind it if need be... I doubt he just takes it and if he does that is actually just fine. Same with Neto. Can waive Favs rights when/if we get a commitment... that is no big deal.

So your challenge... get rid of AB while not taking any salary back. We need every penny of these moves to get to PG max.

Now imagine you give something up to get rid of AB... and now PG says he's staying in OKC cuz they can give him more money and an extra year... or he is going to LAL... do you see the issue now?

Trading AB costs something though... likely a 2019 first... you need to waive Thabo by 7/1.

The rest of the moves can wait. Jonas & Ekpe can wait until 7/9... Can offer Exum the QO and then rescind it if need be... I doubt he just takes it and if he does that is actually just fine. Same with Neto. Can waive Favs rights when/if we get a commitment... that is no big deal.

So your challenge... get rid of AB while not taking any salary back. We need every penny of these moves to get to PG max.

Now imagine you give something up to get rid of AB... and now PG says he's staying in OKC cuz they can give him more money and an extra year... or he is going to LAL... do you see the issue now?

I think thabo is waved regardless because with his injury and his age he is not going to be worth much this year.

I like the idea of a SnT but that is difficult to pull off

I think thabo is waved regardless because with his injury and his age he is not going to be worth much this year.

I'm 50/50 on Thabo... I think the organization values him as a player and locker room guy. His early date makes him most likely to be cut though. Wonder if he would let us extend that date... Jonas did that a few years ago for Boston. I don't think another team gives him 5.2M next year. Maybe we tell him if he doesn't extend it we will have to cut him.

Lots of good stuff. Here's something I appreciated.

WOJ: The respect you have for veteran players and the way you defer to Joe Ingles and guys who've been in the league, Rudy, how much of that do you think comes from having grown up around the Mets clubhouse and like watching like a young David Wright interact with teammates, like, did that sort of shape how you viewed how a young player sort of fits into a group?

Donovan: I think David's a good example. Watching David you know 'cause I've seen a lot of guys throughout the league in MLB who I thought should have been stars but they don't listen. You know that was the one thing I always heard that they don't listen. There were guys...I grew up playing with...ten times greater than me, didn't listen. ... That was the constant theme -- didn't listen, did things their own way, got cocky. So my thing was I can't do that. I can't be another one of those guys who doesn't listen. ... For me my biggest thing was older guys know. They've been here they've done it. In order for me to continue my success I have to listen."

As much as I love Donovan, and believe he's a super star, i don't think he has that type of clout just yet tbh. It's worth the call for certain, the chances of it happening IMO are slim. As far as cap space you can make it happen but you pretty much have to let Favs walk, while also renouncing your rights to all the guys like Thabo, Jonas, Ekpe, etc. It would be worth it for sure. If he can get PG to sit down and meet with the Jazz, even if he doesn't sign here it will be worth something, and I even think sitting down with the Jazz helps guys understand it's actually a good spot to be in. If you're looking at it from a strictly basketball standpoint, PG is the perfect fit, the perfect need, and exactly what would put the Jazz from being a borderline contender, to a contender that could knock at Golden States door. Add PG to this team and you're staring down the opportunity of a championship, likelihood of it happening are slim, but we can dream right? And at least we have a guy who's willing to go out there and advocate for the cause. That will mean even more as he gets more time, success, recognition and respect around the league. If you're the Jazz and Donovan, you do what you can to get PG to sit down with you.

You also have to like what Donovan also said about it would be great to add that extra piece, but that he/the team trust sort of "the process" from within as well if it doesn't happen.

It would be a huge step for just to get a meeting with him and pitch our story. He won't sign with Utah, but maybe he would tell some other free agents to give us a shot or something.

Pretty sure George hates playing the 4. He did a few years ago with Indy. Maybe he's warmed up to it as the games evolved?

But PG is only a free agent now, and an absolute perfect fit on the team. If a top 15 guy who could put your team over the hump wants to play on your team you make it happen.

Let Favors and Exum walk, get rid of all the non guaranteed guys, and use our pick to move Burks potentially? I’m sure there is a way to make it happen. And wouldn’t we still be able to use the MLE at that point?

Problem is that you would need to do a lot of this BEFORE George decided on anything. Kind of a huge risk if it doesn't pan out.

Problem is that you would need to do a lot of this BEFORE George decided on anything. Kind of a huge risk if it doesn't pan out.
True. It’s something I wouldn’t really concern myself with. PG says he wants to come, people who know much more than me have to figure out how to make it happen.

And they always do in these situations. The only issue is whether or not he wants to come. If that domino fell the rest would follow one way or another.

Eh, if OKC is going to lose George anyway, I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting a first round pick and a huge trade exception back for a sign & trade.

To clear the space to go after PG, Burks has to be shed for no returning contract. To do that around the draft, the only team we can trade him to is Chicago and not have to take back any salary. I really wish Burks had some value. Maybe he does at Chicago...

#21 and Burks for #22 would be awesome......

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Finally listened to the podcast. A couple of thoughts.

1. We're not worthy!

2. Donovan has become a leader on this team. He and Rudy are perfect complimentary stars. They will lead the team to the promised land.

3. Dennis Lindsey and Quin Snyder are still basketboner sword fighting.

4. DM is starting to understand his potential as a Gravity player. Lindsey needs to take advantage of that. That said, he still needs to be smart about the contracts.

5. Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell.

Free agents can negotiate with teams before July 1st, but contracts cant officially be signed until then. So nothing would have to be dione before he commits...unless he drags out a decision like Hayward did.
To clear the space to go after PG, Burks has to be shed for no returning contract. To do that around the draft, the only team we can trade him to is Chicago and not have to take back any salary. I really wish Burks had some value. Maybe he does at Chicago...

#21 and Burks for #22 would be awesome......

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Why does a trade have to happen beforre the draft? Utah could always trade Burks and the rights to the player they pick, effective July 1st.

Lots of good stuff. Here's something I appreciated.

WOJ: The respect you have for veteran players and the way you defer to Joe Ingles and guys who've been in the league, Rudy, how much of that do you think comes from having grown up around the Mets clubhouse and like watching like a young David Wright interact with teammates, like, did that sort of shape how you viewed how a young player sort of fits into a group?

Donovan: I think David's a good example. Watching David you know 'cause I've seen a lot of guys throughout the league in MLB who I thought should have been stars but they don't listen. You know that was the one thing I always heard that they don't listen. There were guys...I grew up playing with...ten times greater than me, didn't listen. ... That was the constant theme -- didn't listen, did things their own way, got ****y. So my thing was I can't do that. I can't be another one of those guys who doesn't listen. ... For me my biggest thing was older guys know. They've been here they've done it. In order for me to continue my success I have to listen."

Great ****ing quote.