What's new

Donovan Mitchell - We are lucky to have him

No other major church pursues tithing as aggressively as the LDS church. Not even close. Any of you who are only familiar with the LDS church might not realize that. All major religions function off tithing, but it is generally more of a give what you can type arrangement and I believe almost all tithing payments are anonymous. Correct me if I'm wrong, LDS folks, but your church knows how much tithing you pay to the penny and they sometimes call you out if you're not paying your full 10%?

And honest question to the LDS folks. If you do pay your 10% tithing, do you feel like for the most part you've done all the charitable giving you need to do (other than more church related giving, like a fast offering or donations to the DI and boy scouts, etc.)?

If they took out religious charitable giving I'd put a lot of money on Utah being very close to the bottom of the list. The bottom, not close to the bottom, dead last and by a lot.
Lol.

No other major church pursues tithing as aggressively as the LDS church. Not even close. Any of you who are only familiar with the LDS church might not realize that. All major religions function off tithing, but it is generally more of a give what you can type arrangement and I believe almost all tithing payments are anonymous. Correct me if I'm wrong, LDS folks, but your church knows how much tithing you pay to the penny and they sometimes call you out if you're not paying your full 10%?

And honest question to the LDS folks. If you do pay your 10% tithing, do you feel like for the most part you've done all the charitable giving you need to do (other than more church related giving, like a fast offering or donations to the DI and boy scouts, etc.)?

If they took out religious charitable giving I'd put a lot of money on Utah being very close to the bottom of the list. The bottom, not close to the bottom, dead last and by a lot.
Ehh, I'm not sure about that. A bet a lot of southern states would still be in last if you're taking out religious donations.

Meh... 10% is a lot... outside of a few cancer related entities I don’t do much outside the church... I’ve seen a lot of tax returns and can say that most don’t donate anything near 10%. The church does a ton for disaster relief and has less overhead than other organizations... so I feel like that’s enough.

Scientologist pursue donations much harder... only seen a few but they donated over 75% of their earnings.

The donations are made in private and it is honor call... I like that they track it personally... otherwise how do I prove the deduction.

Man... all my preaching got me hit up at the gas station for gas money... I asked my self What Would Donovan Do? I took care of the guy #WWDD

A year ago, a guy hit me at a gas station, begging for $20 so he can get to Provo for some family emergency. He had kids with him in the car, so I thought he was legit, and gave him the money.

A week later, he hits up again at a different gas station. Kids in the car still. They work full time looks like. Told him he already scammed me.

I was stopped at a gas station by a family who looked desperate. I didn't give them money, but I offered to put gas in the car, figuring it was likely a scam and they won't need much gas. Joke was on me as they were obviously on empty, but I really felt like it was legit and I wasn't taken for a ride. And I don't ever want to know any different.

A year ago, a guy hit me at a gas station, begging for $20 so he can get to Provo for some family emergency. He had kids with him in the car, so I thought he was legit, and gave him the money.

A week later, he hits up again at a different gas station. Kids in the car still. They work full time looks like. Told him he already scammed me.

That sucks... I learned a lesson a long time ago. Guy I truly admired was helping someone and I came across some info and knew she was taking advantage of him (there was no sexual relationship or anything this was a married dude giving money to help someone get back on their feet). I mentioned it to him and his reply was basically... I know and I will still give what I can because that is what I think I should do... if someone takes advantage that is on them.

So you did the right thing... they'll be judged accordingly.

Meh... 10% is a lot... outside of a few cancer related entities I don’t do much outside the church... I’ve seen a lot of tax returns and can say that most don’t donate anything near 10%. The church does a ton for disaster relief and has less overhead than other organizations... so I feel like that’s enough.

Scientologist pursue donations much harder... only seen a few but they donated over 75% of their earnings.

The donations are made in private and it is honor call... I like that they track it personally... otherwise how do I prove the deduction.
Scientology doesn't qualify as a religion imho. It's a sci-fi story turned cult.

I won't give people money. I may help them, drove a guy down the street to his car when I saw him filling up a can at a gas station (it was over 2 miles down the road) I've bought a burger for homeless people a few times or friends or family if they need it. I bought diner for a young couple with small kids that were having a hard time with their kids (anonymously). But I won't hand money to anybody except family.

I think people giving money to beggars are morans. That guy you just handed your hard earned money to makes more per hour than you do.

All religions are cults.
Is scientology a major religion? I didn't think of them when I made my post. I think it's a pretty disgusting organization. I'm sure they are more aggressive at taking money than the LDS church.

I also don't have direct experience with any church. I've never belonged to any church or been religious at any point in my life.

Is scientology a major religion? I didn't think of them when I made my post. I think it's a pretty disgusting organization. I'm sure they are more aggressive at taking money than the LDS church.

I also don't have direct experience with any church. I've never belonged to any church or been religious at any point in my life.

I was religious as a kid. Used to refuse to grab my mom a beer from the fridge because it's HARAM! We still laugh about this.

Not sure why you quoted me. I don't know or care if they are considered a major religion or not.

Man... all my preaching got me hit up at the gas station for gas money... I asked my self What Would Donovan Do? I took care of the guy #WWDD
What kind of beer did the guy end up buying?

What kind of beer did the guy end up buying?

Ha... IDK... I just hope he made it home. I didn't verify that he was out of gas... didn't have a bucket of bolts car or seem like a homeless guy at all. Said he left his wallet at home in Fresno and was on empty. I just try to put myself in other peoples spot... would be humiliating to ask for money whether you were scam begging or just a dude who forgot his wallet... seemed like he needed the money more than me either way.