What's new

Don's Value

Define undervalued. I think he is valued very highly but I also think it is more than clear that DM has cooled greatly on the Jazz and the fanbase. At least he is making it clear where as Hayward tried to play along. Hope it changes but I will be surprised if he has a change of heart. And it doesn't help attract other talent when your star feels that way.
Herein lies a further problem, if folks and other players around the league know Donovan isn't happy here, or will be gone in a couple years, getting anyone to want to come here is more difficult. And @LoPo the fanbase doesn't under value Donovan. I'm just an ******* about him obviously having a distaste for a market/fanbase who have actually heavily heavily supported him during his rise. Go look at an of his latest IG comment sections, all you'll find is Utahns gushing at him. People like @gomretat and I simply see the change in attitude he has had towards people who have been pretty blindly supportive of him for 4 years, and it's not exactly an attitude where he should just be praised.

Donovan Mitchell is a top 10 NBA player. I don't think there is any doubt of that now. If anybody questions that, then they are undervaluing him. He simply takes over playoff games unlike almost any other in the league. With Conley or without, he's still dominant. With or without Bojan, he was still dominant. His numbers this postseason were completely off the charts. His postseason output his first 4 years are unlike almost any in the history of the game.

When we have a great season, the narrative is always centered around Rudy. And in many ways, rightfully so. We build the whole thing around Rudy and it works in the regular season. When our system gets blown up in the postseason either by personnel or coaching, Don is still dominant. Actually, he's even more dominant. He literally carries us.

Without Paul, Booker couldn't lead his team anywhere. SGA is a solid player, but he's throwing up stats on a joke team.

Watch a Jazz game. We constantly run things away from Don. For Conley. For Joe. For Rudy. And that's fine in the regular season. But some playoff time, we turn to the guy who can get it done. And we still haven't even built the whole thing around him yet. Just imagine if the team reflected an emphasis on Don like it has been Rudy.

Don is undervalued because most people around here still think our chances of a title revolve around Rudy. They are wrong.
No ones issue with Donovan has to do with his basketball talent, everyone, including me, thinks he can be an MVP level player and a number 1 option on a championship team. Peoples problem with Donovan is the obvious change in persona, attitude, and the fact it seems pretty obvious at this point he's planning his exit PR strategy. No one questions Donovans talent, he is a top tier talent.

Table this for a couple of years when it's worth discussing. He just started a longterm contract and only the biggest ******** in the NBA would try to force their way out in Donovan's situation (under contract for 4 years on a top-tier team).

Talking about this garbage fuels the fire and I think it is as unproductive as it is stupid.

Donovan Mitchell is a top 10 NBA player. I don't think there is any doubt of that now. If anybody questions that, then they are undervaluing him. He simply takes over playoff games unlike almost any other in the league. With Conley or without, he's still dominant. With or without Bojan, he was still dominant. His numbers this postseason were completely off the charts. His postseason output his first 4 years are unlike almost any in the history of the game.

When we have a great season, the narrative is always centered around Rudy. And in many ways, rightfully so. We build the whole thing around Rudy and it works in the regular season. When our system gets blown up in the postseason either by personnel or coaching, Don is still dominant. Actually, he's even more dominant. He literally carries us.

Without Paul, Booker couldn't lead his team anywhere. SGA is a solid player, but he's throwing up stats on a joke team.

Watch a Jazz game. We constantly run things away from Don. For Conley. For Joe. For Rudy. And that's fine in the regular season. But some playoff time, we turn to the guy who can get it done. And we still haven't even built the whole thing around him yet. Just imagine if the team reflected an emphasis on Don like it has been Rudy.

Don is undervalued because most people around here still think our chances of a title revolve around Rudy. They are wrong.

No doubt about Don being top 10?

lulz. The Ringer thinks otherwise…I’m not saying this is the be all, end all of sources here but c’mon. Is he top ten? Maybe, I guess. Definitely? No.

lulz. The Ringer thinks otherwise…I’m not saying this is the be all, end all of sources here but c’mon. Is he top ten? Maybe, I guess. Definitely? No.

A list that has Julius Randle ahead of him probably isn’t that good to begin with.

Me personally I value the playoffs more than the regular season. Based on playoffs alone Donovan is a top-3 player in the league. Top-3 playoffs player and top-15 regular season player should equate to a top-10 player overall, IMO.

A list that has Julius Randle ahead of him probably isn’t that good to begin with.

Me personally I value the playoffs more than the regular season. Based on playoffs alone Donovan is a top-3 player in the league. Top-3 playoffs player and top-15 regular season player should equate to a top-10 player overall, IMO.

I knew someone would say that. My point is it’s ridiculous to think Don is definitely top 10.

That article is from before this year's playoffs and is ridiculous.

The way I see it. Top 10 in no order from this postseason and all thing considered:

LeBron
Durant
Giannis
Jokic
Don
Doncic
Paul
Embiid
Curry
Paul

Don outplayed both PG and Kawhi in our series. Their role players just torched ours. Their coaching outclassed ours. Don was the best player in that series. We get swept easily without him.

I think Harden is on the sharp decline and I never rated Kyrie that highly. They will likely never be dominant again because there is only one ball in Brooklyn. They could prove me wrong though.

If AD is healthy, he will knock on this door. About that time, Chris Paul will be walking out. He's had an incredible run, but he won't stay in this form.

Dame is a good argument, but I would rather have Don.

Booker, Rudy, Randle, Zion, Jimmy and others just no.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

That article is from before this year's playoffs and is ridiculous.

The way I see it. Top 10 in no order from this postseason and all thing considered:

LeBron
Durant
Giannis
Jokic
Don
Doncic
Paul
Embiid
Curry
Paul

Don outplayed both PG and Kawhi in our series. Their role players just torched ours. Their coaching outclassed ours. Don was the best player in that series. We get swept easily without him.

I think Harden is on the sharp decline and I never rated Kyrie that highly. They will likely never be dominant again because there is only one ball in Brooklyn. They could prove me wrong though.

If AD is healthy, he will knock on this door. About that time, Chris Paul will be walking out. He's had an incredible run, but he won't stay in this form.

Dame is a good argument, but I would rather have Don.

Booker, Rudy, Randle, Zion, Jimmy and others just no.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Jesus. This is almost as bad as the Rudy is a top 10 player takes around here.

Jesus. This is almost as bad as the Rudy is a top 10 player takes around here.
Well for those of us that can simultaneously appreciate variation in play AND give weight to Donovan's playoff performances:

He sure AS **** is not below Julius Randle or numerous people on that list (including Gobert), but he's not top-10.

Well for those of us that can simultaneously appreciate variation in play AND give weight to Donovan's playoff performances:

He's sure AS **** not below Julius Randle or numerous people on that list, but he's not top-10.

I don’t disagree.

Mitchell isnt top 10 and it's not really close.

To be a small(er) guard who doesnt play defense at any level or playmake at an elite level, you have to be insanely efficient as a scorer. He has to approach Dame levels to even be eligible for top 10 consideration, and he's not there yet. Either that, or get much better at making player's around him better.

That's not "hating". That's just objective truth.

I would say this past season probably put Donovan firmly in the top 20 after being a guy who was seen as being more 25-30.

He's still not as good as Rudy, at least when it comes to the regular season.

Right now, Don's lack of ability to truly make players better and have the confidence of his team to be a full-time PG is what holds him back from being top 10. This year he proved he can be an efficient volume scorer (though not top 10 efficient). Maybe if Conley doesnt comeback he can strengthen that part of his game more. If he can do that while maintaining efficiency and Utah doesnt lose their place as the top regular season team (or at least maintains a position in the top 3) then I think he will begin to have a case.

He's clearly never going to have the defensive ability of guys like Leonard/George and other top 10 stalwarts, so that is basically his only chance other than just doubling down on what he's already great and refining it to basically an all-time degree.

I would say this past season probably put Donovan firmly in the top 20 after being a guy who was seen as being more 25-30.

I agree 15-20 range
He has moved up after playoff performance
He is good enough to win a ring
Jazz need to get him a lot more help
Maybe now without DL fouling things up Jazz can do something
DWade needs to step up and give some sound input
But maybe hard
Magic, Jordan, Bird and other HOFs failed

Right now, Don's lack of ability to truly make players better and have the confidence of his team to be a full-time PG is what holds him back from being top 10. This year he proved he can be an efficient volume scorer (though not top 10 efficient). Maybe if Conley doesnt comeback he can strengthen that part of his game more. If he can do that while maintaining efficiency and Utah doesnt lose their place as the top regular season team (or at least maintains a position in the top 3) then I think he will begin to have a case.

He's clearly never going to have the defensive ability of guys like Leonard/George and other top 10 stalwarts, so that is basically his only chance other than just doubling down on what he's already great and refining it to basically an all-time degree.
I'm also interested to see how he can tune up his defense when healthy in the playoffs. He needs to turn up his defense when it matters and he hasn't done it enough. Not all season, no reason to expect that, but during the playoffs his defense also needs to be better if he wants to be in the very top tier convo. He can be an MVP, he just has to put it all together.

I'm also interested to see how he can tune up his defense when healthy in the playoffs. He needs to turn up his defense when it matters and he hasn't done it enough. Not all season, no reason to expect that, but during the playoffs his defense also needs to be better if he wants to be in the very top tier convo. He can be an MVP, he just has to put it all together.
I have very little faith in Mitchell tuning up his defense that much. Scoring star types usually get worse on that end as they age/score more, not better.

Mitchell isnt top 10 and it's not really close.

To be a small(er) guard who doesnt play defense at any level or playmake at an elite level, you have to be insanely efficient as a scorer. He has to approach Dame levels to even be eligible for top 10 consideration, and he's not there yet. Either that, or get much better at making player's around him better.

That's not "hating". That's just objective truth.

When it comes to the playoffs he’s a top-3 player though. He is an extremely efficient scorer in the playoffs.