What's new

Dont Forget About Favors

Does anyone know how much these RFA can be offered? Is it the same as Hayward's contract? I could see teams willing to go into the luxury tax with the cap going up soon.

It's tied to BRI, which will rise a little, so RFA's could be offered a bit more than Hayward. Free agency also ties to years in the league, with a big jump occurring after Year #7. That's why Hayward has the opt-out clause. He could get 30% of BRI instead of 25% at that point.

Hate to be the party pooper, but we ain't getting a max player to come to Utah...not unless we pay one of the players in the next tier down max money to play in Utah.

That's one of the things that pushed Deron out. He couldn't get anyone to join him.

Also, to get a player at that level, Utah has to renounce Bookers contract. So cross him off the depth chart. My hope is to sign Tomic and our pick.

I was about to make the same comment. And we wouldn't be able to sign Tomic either, I believe, so cross him off as well.

I was about to make the same comment. And we wouldn't be able to sign Tomic either, I believe, so cross him off as well.

Well they could go into the luxury tax, which (I can't remember where) the millers said they would do if it meant the Jazz were contending again. Plus the cap will go up an then no more luxury tax!

I think Favors has been making more of a flash recently. I think the emergence of Rudy as a force to be reckoned with freed Favors up to play his game with more confidence. But he has had forgettable games in the past. He needs to keep that passion and edge going forward no matter what.

Unfortunately, PF is way too strong for Favors to be at that level. (LMA, Griffin, Duncan, Dirk, unibrow just in the west) Unfortunately the offense matters much more for allstar. He has a ways to go before being considered an all star. He has been playing great though, and I have no complaints

Duncan and Dirk are past their primes and maybe have one more all-star game in them. If the Jazz become contenders and Favors is a major part of it he can boot LMA or Griffin from a spot.

That would be a sick lineup, but not financially feasible unless your LA or NY.
4 of the 5 will be max players on their next contract.

I agree that is why the Jazz need to be smart with their financial decisions. Bringing in another MAX player is going to muck up the financial situation. I like Hood at the SG, as long as he can stay healthy I prefer giving him an opportunity to prove he is an NBA starter. The lineup of Exum, Hood, Hayward, Favors and Gobert is certainly a championship level like team. They need time to jell.

The Jazz can automatically get better simply by getting Burks back, bringing over Tomic and make a solid first round pick this year. People need to remember that the Jazz have basically built this team through the draft (everyone except Favors the Jazz drafted) and have several 1st in the next couple of years to supplement our bench. People need to be patient and not skip steps.

Next year Jazz can perhaps make another trade to get rid of guys who are talented but expendable to get another piece that is better suited for the future of this team. Throwing MAX money at players needs to be done wisely, because a bad contract or two can really destroy chemistry on a team.

Well they could go into the luxury tax, which (I can't remember where) the millers said they would do if it meant the Jazz were contending again. Plus the cap will go up an then no more luxury tax!

No, this has nothing to do with luxury tax. Being able to go into the luxury tax is only relevant when it comes to re-signing your own players. This has to do with not being able to exceed the CAP in order to sign players that are not already on your team. Deep pockets don't rescue you from that.

I'm gonna need additional numbers to back this up, please. I love me some D-Fave, but this team has been transformed by the emergence of Rudy Gobert. Favors + Kanter was a failure. Gobert + anyone on this planet seems to work. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm extremely suspicious of any stats that say we are better defensively without Rudy on the floor. Prove me wrong.

I hate to post Locke because I'm sure we've all had enough of him; but I can't generate these numbers on my own. Go to the 12 minute mark - Since the ASB Favors defensive numbers without Gobert per 100 possessions are unbelievable. Once again, they've been great individually and together; but Favors numbers are better right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5GLBgAxpYs#t=748

If Utah can keep this pace next year (winning record), I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Hayward, Favors, & Gobert. I'd agree, the Jazz have a bright future and will be a team to beat the next few years!! If they could land a max type player this off season (middleton, Butler, Leonard, or Green) mixed in with another Lotto pick, growth from all our rookies....easy a contending team next year. Look at who the Jazz have beat this past month.
Hate to break it to u, but Middleton and Green are not even close to max players. Don't be dumb justys!!
I might be in the minority but I don't think the Jazz will or need to make a big splash in FA this year. Bring over Tomic, Draft a backup PG or SF. Trade Trey and some picks for a backup at the other SG/SF, whichever you don't draft.
That to me would be an excellent off season.
I'd rep if I could. I made this point yesterday in the what would u do in the off season thread
Lucky for u we don't need a max player and think it would be a bad business choice to add another max player. We only need small additions to this team at this time.

Lucky for u we don't need a max player and think it would be a bad business choice to add another max player. We only need small additions to this team at this time.

I agree that the Jazz don't need to sign or trade for a max level player this offseason. Guys are going to be wildly overpaid because teams will be able to justify contracts that shrink as the cap goes up. I do however think that the Jazz have some room to add a couple of young, cheap players to help support their core group. If they keep Booker and add Tomic, they might have enough room to add a mid-level free agent. Hopefully they'll have just enough that they can offer more than the full MLE (about $5 million) for one season and then let them leave in free agency or structure it like Booker's deal with a mostly non-guaranteed 2nd year team option. That was a shrewd move.

I'd be completely happy with Tomic, Booker and another mid-level guy this offseason. I do think that they need to consider being aggressive in the draft and/or possibly in overpaying for a young guy on his rookie deal - as long as acquiring him won't disrupt the core. That way, you take another shot at landing a star, while acquiring them at a time where their salary is obtainable. That means, any potential rookie here for 2015. Any player on his rookie contract. Or any player who is expected to be a RFA in 2016 before the deadline. But you'd better be willing to match a max contract for that guy when he hits RFA because every team will have space and many will overspend.

The other option is to make a couple of small moves this year and then preserve that space to hire a 1-2 year mercenary in 2016 to elevate the team to contender status through a trade. Free agency is going to be nuts, but the Jazz could take on ANY contract in the league to get up to the cap and then sign their own guys to go over it. While everyone will have space, not every team will want to keep all of their highly paid players. And Utah has assets to burn.

All the talk is about Gobert, but Favors has been playing at All Star level since his move to PF. We have three incredible players in Gobert, Favors, and Hayward with a kid full of potential in Exum.

I think Favors will be our first All Star from this group.

What this guy said.

I don't think Favors is our 1st all-star. I think Hayward makes it next season unless he has a serious drop off from his current production.

With fans voting in the starters, you're probably right.
The Gobert fever is starting to spread nationally. Probably internationally, I'm guessing.

Gobert is the NBA/media darling, has international ties in decent market, and is every-bit the person and player the NBA represents. His path is paved already, if he continues his current play.

This is really selfish, but I hope Gobert doesn't make the All Star team next year. It will just piss him off and he will be that much scarier. It also keeps the Jazz from having to pay him that much more money due to the Derrick Rose rule. Although I think he has a good chance at being on the all NBA team, so 2 years of that and he gets the extra 5 %.

This is really selfish, but I hope Gobert doesn't make the All Star team next year. It will just piss him off and he will be that much scarier. It also keeps the Jazz from having to pay him that much more money due to the Derrick Rose rule. Although I think he has a good chance at being on the all NBA team, so 2 years of that and he gets the extra 5 %.

valid point, but we need that all-star cred, so we can start getting some "star-treatment". Get that kid (and hopefully fav or hay) into the ASG and tight games get a little easier.