What's new

Don't Sign Any Free Agent SG!

Tony

Contributor
Not Wes, not Khris, no one.

They need to trade Trey, sign a veteran to help acclimate either Raul or another rookie pg.
Start Burks at the beginning of the year but transition Hood into the starting SG role.
Burks would be used as Trey is being used right now. Keep Millsap on to backup Hayward. For the past how many years(?) there's been a logjam at some position and the Jazz have let go of some quality hard nosed players because of it. Millsap would be yet another one of those players. And for what? Another starting player that works off the ball?

Exum, VET
Hood, Burks
Hayward, Millsap
Favors, Booker
Gobert

This is one of the last years we can actually use our cap space. It would be a waste to not bring in a starting level veteran like Matthews or Middleton.

The Utah Jazz have Burks and Hood at SG, can afford to find out how good they'll become because Dante is still developing. A bit more experience might help Gobert too. You either trust Burks, Hood, Exum going forward or you think "Our frontcourt is already stellar, let's add missing pieces NOW". That might be a viable option as well. Lindsey likes making bold decisions so we'll see. But a lineup of Exum-Hood-Hayward-Favors-Gobert looks like a contender to me two years from now provided Exum-Hood consistently improve and stay healthy.

This is one of the last years we can actually use our cap space. It would be a waste to not bring in a starting level veteran like Matthews or Middleton.
Agreed.
Got to try to get a good free agent this off season due to the salary cap changing, but also because this team will be ready to start winning next year.

I am not sold on hood being any good. I feel Hayward is better at the 2 so ideally I want a 3 to start so Hayward can play the 2. This could be through the draft or free agency.

I am not sold on hood being any good. I feel Hayward is better at the 2 so ideally I want a 3 to start so Hayward can play the 2. This could be through the draft or free agency.

He hasn't had the chance to show how good he can be though... also DL had said that Hood will be with us for years to come.

I need to see more of Hood before counting on him being part of an 8 man rotation on a playoff squad.

I am totally sold on Hood becoming good. He is a smooth operator. By the end of next year we will all be impressed by him.

We just paid Burks ten milish, he had better start. I think Millsap is a 2, not a 3. Let's recap, Exum is the gamble starting 1 for the future, Burks is the ten mil player, waste of a contract if he doesn't start. Hayward has filled out his frame to be a franchise like player at the 3, Favors is awesome at the 4 and GoBear is the fan favorite at the 5. Guess what, our starting five is either set or we are paying some players too much for their role. I think that any signings that we do from this point forward would be for support players. Players that know their roles and do them well enough to give the starting players some rest. Sure, it isn't as exciting as signing superstars, but just remember that if you sign a superstar, one of our starting five leaves the team (can't pay a guy ten to fifteen million to come off the bench). Ok, maybe we can have GoBear or Exum come off the bench, seeing as they are incomplete players with currently reasonable contracts, but if we do that, do they ever start? More likely they get traded because their talent level will eventually get them ten to fifteen mil deals which we can't afford if we sign a superstar. I believe this team needs a bench more than it needs a superstar, and there is no reason that one or two of our starting five has superstar in them that just needs to come out.

If we're speeding things up, I could see Exum being removed from the starting lineup. Don't count out Utah signing a PG or combo guard. And I also think DL is figuring on Burks being a starter. He spoke about how easy it is to forget about injured players. In that respect I agree with Tony. Lindsey may choose to add a couple of very good support players: guys like Booker who are undervalued.

there is no gurantee that our sgs will be amazing. we need to get one

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Not Wes, not Khris, no one.

They need to trade Trey, sign a veteran to help acclimate either Raul or another rookie pg.
Start Burks at the beginning of the year but transition Hood into the starting SG role.
Burks would be used as Trey is being used right now. Keep Millsap on to backup Hayward. For the past how many years(?) there's been a logjam at some position and the Jazz have let go of some quality hard nosed players because of it. Millsap would be yet another one of those players. And for what? Another starting player that works off the ball?

Exum, VET
Hood, Burks
Hayward, Millsap
Favors, Booker
Gobert

These were my thoughts when I posted in the other thread that the jazz should go after someone like Lin if he can be had for a reasonable price. With Exum and Burks a combo guard has a lot more value to this team that Trey. Trey plays exclusively like a 2 guard, but he could never guard any 2 guards, (not that Lin necessarily could either) but he could play with Exum or Burks without having to dominate the ball. I just think Lin offers a lot more flexibility and experience that Exum could learn from.

The Utah Jazz have Burks and Hood at SG, can afford to find out how good they'll become because Dante is still developing. A bit more experience might help Gobert too. You either trust Burks, Hood, Exum going forward or you think "Our frontcourt is already stellar, let's add missing pieces NOW". That might be a viable option as well. Lindsey likes making bold decisions so we'll see. But a lineup of Exum-Hood-Hayward-Favors-Gobert looks like a contender to me two years from now provided Exum-Hood consistently improve and stay healthy.

How can anyone say Hood will be good enough to be a starter on a Championship team? If anything he looks closer to out of the league in 2 years than that. Why take the risk when you just sign someone who is already good enough to be a starter on a playoff team?

I do like Hood like most of us but he hasn't proven he can be a starter. Obviously it's not his fault with the injuries but from what I've seen I could see him becoming a solid role player for us.

This is the year to grab a free agent. Bring home Matthews and then have Burks come off the bench as our sixth man. Draft BPA and then let's make a push for the playoffs next year.

Wait, why all the hate for Hood? The guy had plantar fasciitis, guess what, so did Favors, so there is no guarantee that he is injury prone, it just needs to be handled carefully. As for his potential, he was highly anticipated by a lot of people when he was drafted. I'm not suggesting he starts, but there is no reason he can't take over Burks sixth man role with Burks starting with his tenish mil contract.