What's new

Don't Sign Any Free Agent SG!

Jury is still out on Hood, but after trading Enes, this off-season is the year we should sign a free-agent. I think the Burke expirement should be over as well. The Jazz need more offensive potency if they ever hope to contend, and Trey doesn't bring efficient offense or defense.

I hope we can aggregate some of million second-rounders, our own pick, and whatever else needed (Trey?) to move up to snatch D'angelo Russell (or we could just get lucky.

So the addition of a healthy Alec, Russell, and a healthy/ better seasoned Hood would pretty much flesh out the gaping hole at the wing right now.

PG is also a big weakness, but I don't want stunt Dante's growth. I think we pushed him into the starting gig too fast because Trey was too awful, but I think putting him back on the bench could hurt his confidence--which seems to be his biggest weakness thus far (lack of trust for his own talents). Bring Neto over. Exum, And Neto are PG's and Hayward and Russell are point-forwards (technically Russell is a gaurd, but...), and Hood and Alec are both good enough ball handlers as well. I think this position, which is weak now, will right itself as well.

So what do we need?

We still need a stretch four who can pass!

If there is any chance that Kevin Love might be back on the market at season's end, we should throw every last dollar we have up to the luxury tax, shed Booker, and whoever else we need, and try to sell our story. A Kevin Love-Rudy Gobert-Derrick Favors would be the best sampling of all three big man archetypes.

So there's my pipe-dream in the post Enes Jazz era.

I am betting my house the Jazz don't do a max offer to a SG. If they find the right stretch 4 who could play the 3 against some teams, they will pursue it. And may look for two middle level guys who can fill in the stretch 4 and a wing. DL really likes Alec and the jury is still out on Hood. Many of us were saying he might be the steal of the draft and now that he has been hurt have written him off. IF he can stay healthy, he still has a legit shot to be good.

These were my thoughts when I posted in the other thread that the jazz should go after someone like Lin if he can be had for a reasonable price. With Exum and Burks a combo guard has a lot more value to this team that Trey. Trey plays exclusively like a 2 guard, but he could never guard any 2 guards, (not that Lin necessarily could either) but he could play with Exum or Burks without having to dominate the ball. I just think Lin offers a lot more flexibility and experience that Exum could learn from.

Is rather have Trey than Lin.

Trey = Lin, but Trey is a lot cheaper.

Rodney Hood has shown so much potential in an injury plagued rookie year. He can shoot, but most surprising to me is his ability to play in pick'n roll and drive. I'm pretty confident he'll turn into someone Good for the Jazz. Also, I recall DL saying he envisioned Hood growing into the sf spot.

How can anyone say Hood will be good enough to be a starter on a Championship team? If anything he looks closer to out of the league in 2 years than that. Why take the risk when you just sign someone who is already good enough to be a starter on a playoff team?
I think Hood will be a solid backup, which is all you really want/expect out of a guy drafted in the 20's. His ability to play either wing position will be valuable going forward. As Lindsey said, he sees Hood developing into a SF. That would be a pretty solid rotation if it happens: Hayard/Hood.

I still maintain our real need is a PG. Several teams play a two-PG system. Dante has the length to guard SG's. Let's get a legit starting PG and have Dante play as a backup. Once our bench is stronger, there isn't as much need to "hide" Exum. There will be enough weapons off the bench to allow Dante to continue to grow. At his level of play, he really should only be getting 15 mins/per. MIght serve as motivation for him to "man up" and stop playing like a scared little girl.

Weird that anyone is ready to make any guesses to hood is. He has looked bad and he has looked good and he has been injured. At the worst he looks like rotation player and reminds me somewhat of Danny green.

I have hope for Hood that he will be a solid rotation guy that spreads the floor. Time will tell.

But the Jazz clearly need help in the backcourt, even with a healthy Burks.

Go hard after the best SGs this free agency.

Jury is still out on Hood, but after trading Enes, this off-season is the year we should sign a free-agent. I think the Burke expirement should be over as well. The Jazz need more offensive potency if they ever hope to contend, and Trey doesn't bring efficient offense or defense.

I hope we can aggregate some of million second-rounders, our own pick, and whatever else needed (Trey?) to move up to snatch D'angelo Russell (or we could just get lucky.

So the addition of a healthy Alec, Russell, and a healthy/ better seasoned Hood would pretty much flesh out the gaping hole at the wing right now.

PG is also a big weakness, but I don't want stunt Dante's growth. I think we pushed him into the starting gig too fast because Trey was too awful, but I think putting him back on the bench could hurt his confidence--which seems to be his biggest weakness thus far (lack of trust for his own talents). Bring Neto over. Exum, And Neto are PG's and Hayward and Russell are point-forwards (technically Russell is a gaurd, but...), and Hood and Alec are both good enough ball handlers as well. I think this position, which is weak now, will right itself as well.

So what do we need?

We still need a stretch four who can pass!

If there is any chance that Kevin Love might be back on the market at season's end, we should throw every last dollar we have up to the luxury tax, shed Booker, and whoever else we need, and try to sell our story. A Kevin Love-Rudy Gobert-Derrick Favors would be the best sampling of all three big man archetypes.

So there's my pipe-dream in the post Enes Jazz era.
Interesting.
I would be curious if the jazz could run out a lineup with favors, love, and gobert at the same time.
Love would struggle to guard sf's on the perimeter but when he gets blown by we would have favors and gobert waiting. Would just have to tell him not to allow three pointers and not worry about if his guy gets past him.
Offensively love would provide plenty of spacing while also getting open looks. We would get all the rebounds and all three of those bigs can pass the ball well

Gobert/Favors/Pleiss (or other FA)
Favors/Booker/Jerrett (or other developmental stretch-4)
Hayward/Hood/Ingles
Burks/Draft Pick/Millsap
FA or trade/Exum/Neto (or other 3rd PG)

That's the way I could see things working out. And that totals 14 players. Our "deep" bench (i.e. the guys who rarely see playing time) would be Ingles, Millsap and a prospect we develop as a stretch-4. Pleiss would get 10 mins/per (I'm assuming Tomic doesn't come over) as the 4/5 is primarily a 3-man rotation of Gobert, Favors and Booker. Our draft pick develops behind Alec; if he eventually starts in 2-3 years, Alec becomes the 6th man for the rest of his contract - or gets traded. Maybe Dante starts, maybe not. But his minutes are kept at about 18-20.

Trey is traded. We use our 2nd-rounders in trades or draft-and-stash.

Weird that anyone is ready to make any guesses to hood is. He has looked bad and he has looked good and he has been injured. At the worst he looks like rotation player and reminds me somewhat of Danny green.

I don't think anyone has called him a bust or bad, just that he hasn't done anything to warrant not signing a FA who plays the same position.

With Kanter gone, and no key Jazz players hitting free agency this offseason or next, the Jazz can roll their cap space over to next year. If there are players who are available on decent terms (i.e. can be traded in exchange for picks) that add talent to the roster this offseason or next, it would be a mistake to not sign anyone. The team still needs talent, and signing free agents costs nothing but cap space.

Is rather have Trey than Lin.

Trey = Lin, but Trey is a lot cheaper.

Not necessarily... Trey won't exactly be considered "cheap" the next couple of years 3-5M...? In two years Trey is basically a MLE player. Blake signed last year for 2 years at 2.1M a year. I don't know what Lin will be getting, but someone like him (a combo guard) could be had for what we are paying Trey. That is my point.

Sign Matthews. Move Burks to the 6th man role. He is being paid appropriately for a primary 6th man. With Hayward and Mathews who can hit the three there is really no reason we need a stretch 4 (more than Booker anyway.) Matthews takes a lot of pressure off of Exum, who doesn't need to stay on the perimeter anymore and can work exclusively on drive and dish and pick and roll.

A defense of Gobert, Favors, Hayward, Matthews, Exum is damn stout, maybe elite.

Finally, people think that Love to come here and accept a role that Kanter wouldn't? SMH

Gobert/Favors/Pleiss (or other FA)
Favors/Booker/Jerrett (or other developmental stretch-4)
Hayward/Hood/Ingles
Burks/Draft Pick/Millsap
FA or trade/Exum/Neto (or other 3rd PG)

That's the way I could see things working out. And that totals 14 players. Our "deep" bench (i.e. the guys who rarely see playing time) would be Ingles, Millsap and a prospect we develop as a stretch-4. Pleiss would get 10 mins/per (I'm assuming Tomic doesn't come over) as the 4/5 is primarily a 3-man rotation of Gobert, Favors and Booker. Our draft pick develops behind Alec; if he eventually starts in 2-3 years, Alec becomes the 6th man for the rest of his contract - or gets traded. Maybe Dante starts, maybe not. But his minutes are kept at about 18-20.

Trey is traded. We use our 2nd-rounders in trades or draft-and-stash.

I'd do:

Exum/Burke/Andre Miller
Wes Matthews/Burks/Millsap
Hayward/Hood/Ingles-or-draft pick
Favors/Booker-or-draft pick/Garrett-or-draft pick
Gobert/Koufos

Sign Matthews. Move Burks to the 6th man role. He is being paid appropriately for a primary 6th man. With Hayward and Mathews who can hit the three there is really no reason we need a stretch 4 (more than Booker anyway.) Matthews takes a lot of pressure off of Exum, who doesn't need to stay on the perimeter anymore and can work exclusively on drive and dish and pick and roll.

A defense of Gobert, Favors, Hayward, Matthews, Exum is damn stout, maybe elite.

Finally, people think that Love to come here and accept a role that Kanter wouldn't? SMH

I was envisioning Favors playing 30 mins off the bench, so Love wouldn't be taking the Kanter role, Love would be a focal point.

GSW has Steph and Klay, but they still have use for Dreymond Green shooting three's, eveb though he only makes them at 33%, be ause when a big does it it draws a big defender.

I like to watch Rudy and Derrick play D, but I am still unsure if that tandem is offensively spread out enough to help us be ome a real contender in today's NBA.

I like to watch Rudy and Derrick play D, but I am still unsure if that tandem is offensively spread out enough to help us be ome a real contender in today's NBA.
San Antonio won last year with Tiago Splitter starting next to Duncan (granted, Boris Diaw played four more minutes per game than Splitter in the playoffs), and Memphis is a legitimate contender this year with no real stretch bigs in their rotation. Poor spot-up shooting from the 1-3 is a bigger concern for the Jazz right now.

Sign Matthews. Move Burks to the 6th man role. He is being paid appropriately for a primary 6th man. With Hayward and Mathews who can hit the three there is really no reason we need a stretch 4 (more than Booker anyway.)

Burks is to expensive for a 6th man if I am the GM and I have Gobert, Favs,GH and possibly Exum to take care of going forward.

I'd do:

Exum/Burke/Andre Miller
Wes Matthews/Burks/Millsap
Hayward/Hood/Ingles-or-draft pick
Favors/Booker-or-draft pick/Garrett-or-draft pick
Gobert/Koufos

I'd LOVE Matthews. We'd have to lose Booker to get him, but that's ok. Just means we'd have to make a play for Tomic.

GVC...if we use up all our cap space to get Matthews (and have renounced our exceptions), what could we offer Tomic? Is it different since we hold his rights or would we only have the room-MLE to give him?

I'd LOVE Matthews. We'd have to lose Booker to get him, but that's ok. Just means we'd have to make a play for Tomic.

GVC...if we use up all our cap space to get Matthews (and have renounced our exceptions), what could we offer Tomic? Is it different since we hold his rights or would we only have the room-MLE to give him?

Not next year it wouldn't. Book is signed for next year.