What's new

DPOY 2018

No. He missed too many games. I agree with the growing belief that Durant will win it. .

Seriously? I thought that idea died when Ingles torched him 7-11 and 6-8 on threes while holding KD to some pretty crappy #s I don't remember and am too lazy to look up. It hasn't been just one game, either. GS has been losing lately more than people expect and their defense has been nothing like it was in the past.

If Durant wins it, the award is a farce IMO. I'd put Embiid or maybe Paul George as possibilities ahead of KD.

I also think if Utah continues winning the way they have been, with maybe a loss here and there the rest of the season, Gobert still has a chance. Rudy got robbed last year and sometimes that matters when things are close.

Last edited:
But the right circumstances might be in effect for Rudy to win it. Based on the fact that the usual suspects (Leonard and Green) don't seem to be in the running this time, I'd give Gobert a good shot, if 1.) we finish out the season strong (easy schedule will help) and 2.) the advanced stats continue to show how Rudy's defense directly impacts our winning.

I don't think DPOY is completely out of reach, but it'll be tough.

Good post, and I agree. If Rudy missed all those games towards the end of the season, then no way. However, since it was fairly early in the season, I think team success and seeing how Utah is rolling, if they continue like they are, Rudy will still have a shot.

1 month later, Rudy carry on to be in beast mode! If he plays like that until the end of the regular season, do u think can be the dpoy? I really don't see anybody better than him and have his impact in Defense.

Sent from my SM-A520F using JazzFanz mobile app

There’s no obvious pick and Gobert has been head and shoulders above everyone else when he plays.

If he plays every game the rest of the season at the same level he’s at now then he’s the only pick.

Yeah - if the Jazz finish in the playoffs, somewhere in the ballpark of 47-50 wins, and like a 30-5 record down the stretch or something crazy like that, it's going to be primarily because of Rudy's dominance and our defensive resurgence.

If he doesn't win because he missed 30+ games, whatever, but he's clearly the most dominant defensive player in the NBA by a mile.

He should be in the running and probably be the winner. Because he's clearly the best defender in the league AGAIN this year despite missing games due to injury. And that's after clearly being the best defender in the league last year too. Voters will use missed games as way to snub him again though.

if he keeps going the same way there will zero choice his impact is in another stratosphere compared to everyone else this year. If he doesn't it'll be proof once and for all the NBA is rigged

Winning the championship this year would be the best revenge. It could happen. Couldn't it?

I don't care about the missed games, Gobert has been far and away the best defender in the league this season, no one's had his impact on D and there isn't a clear cut candidate for the award anyway. Give it to the guy who really deserves it, regardless of the injuries.

Last edited: