What's new

Draft Homers List 2023

You can't beat defenders off the dribble, shoot off the dribble or pass off the dribble if you can't dribble. Hendricks is fine, but he looks like he'll be a complementary player rather than a primary offensive weapon. The Jazz's roster is pretty empty and they need to be looking for primary offensive players with star-level ceilings at this stage, even if they're going to swing and miss. That's why I have Hendricks just outside of my top 10.

It's rare that a player develops ball skills from scratch once they're in the NBA.
There aren’t a lot of star level guys and star level isn’t something easily predicted. Take the best players that do useful things on the basketball court. Don’t take wild swings on “ghosts”. Those good players can help you land stats later or supplement those stats you do find.

There aren’t a lot of star level guys and star level isn’t something easily predicted. Take the best players that do useful things on the basketball court. Don’t take wild swings on “ghosts”. Those good players can help you land stats later or supplement those stats you do find.

Bufkin and George both have pretty clear star potential and high floors to boot.

Bufkin and George both have pretty clear star potential and high floors to boot.
They also could join the long list of scoring undersized two guards who get lit up… like I threw out Anfernee Simons and most of the board is like “meh” or “hell nah”. And that kid has proven to be one of the best shooters in the league is athletic AF and scores efficiently… but people don’t care much cuz of the tweener thing and defense.

Finding scoring undersized two guards is pretty easy… finding guys who are high level two way players is pretty rare. If all he does is dunk and hit threes and becomes a good weakside rim protector who survives on the perimeter… that’s like a crazy good outcome at 9.

They also could join the long list of scoring undersized two guards who get lit up… like I threw out Anfernee Simons and most of the board is like “meh” or “hell nah”. And that kid has proven to be one of the best shooters in the league is athletic AF and scores efficiently… but people don’t care much cuz of the tweener thing and defense.

Finding scoring undersized two guards is pretty easy… finding guys who are high level two way players is pretty rare. If all he does is dunk and hit threes and becomes a good weakside rim protector who survives on the perimeter… that’s like a crazy good outcome at 9.
Taylor is getting picked before Jarace. I don't he will be an option at 9.

I actually agree. I think a lot of times teams "take swings" and pass on guys like Bridges, Trey Murphy, Desmond Bane, etc. for guys with more potential and those guys end up top 10 or higher in re-drafts because they end up doing the things they did in college at a high level in the pros.. and then end up expanding out a little bit as well. I just think declaring a guy low upside because he may not be on ball a ton is not something I can get behind. There is only one ball and I value what guys can do without the ball a bit more than some on here I guess.

I actually agree. I think a lot of times teams "take swings" and pass on guys like Bridges, Trey Murphy, Desmond Bane, etc. for guys with more potential and those guys end up top 10 or higher in re-drafts because they end up doing the things they did in college at a high level in the pros.. and then end up expanding out a little bit as well. I just think declaring a guy low upside because he may not be on ball a ton is not something I can get behind. There is only one ball and I value what guys can do without the ball a bit more than some on here I guess.
I think Taylor will be a super star of sorts in his valuable role. That's a recipe for a championship team.

I just want the predictive formula that looks at a scrub and sees a Jokic or a Giannis. What's the recipe for that? Oh if I was drafting, I would also create tiers and slots for your own team, not just the draft board, and not pick a player if you can project them to fit into your slot. Use FA and league scrubs for that

This is a funny response because he is comparing Hendricks college to Markkanen college. You are mentioning after is rookie year and 2nd year. Why would you compare something that hasn’t happened yet.
Well, I did say even in college, I included it. Looking at Markkanen vs Hendricks is two different things. OL magically thinks Hendricks can just pick up skills Markkanen brought with him. OL mentioned Markkanen didn’t come in that good. I just set him straight that’s all. It’s how you have to combat evil geniuses

That could be wonderful for the Jazz, but it's unlikely. Jarace is in play with Detroit at #5. Maybe Hendricks and Walker go back-to-back at 6 and 7.

Last edited:

Depending on what teams want from their lead guard, both Bufkin and Keyonte can play at the 1. Bufkin is cleaner and more natural playmaker currently. Both also have good positional size defensively, and neither of them get "lit up." Not sure where you're getting that idea.

Both Kobe and Keyonte are better at getting to the rim than Simons, they're shiftier and more explosive off the dribble, and they're better defenders. That's where your comp comes off loose.

Depending on what teams want from their lead guard, both Bufkin and Keyonte can play at the 1. Bufkin is cleaner and more natural playmaker currently. Both also have good positional size defensively, and neither of them get "lit up." Not sure where you're getting that idea.

Both Kobe and Keyonte are better at getting to the rim than Simons, they're shiftier and more explosive off the dribble, and they're better defenders. That's where your comp comes off loose.
They may not be exactly like the guys listed but those guys are actually good examples of when it works out… declaring them shiftier or better defenders is not something I’d do since they’ve never set foot on an nba court. Bufkin has promos as a defender and distributor but the same things we say about those two are things we could say about Simons… why can’t he shift into a more point guard role and they can?

I like Bufkin but he’s real light… so his defense might be better than those guys but not by much… I’m just trying to illustrate that a high/medium outcome for those guys is the type of player people are pretty lukewarm on… almost everyone here would prefer OG, Cam Johnson, Trey Murphy etc to those guys… even though they aren’t doing much off the dribble as passers.

Not true at all. He was all rookie flashing all kinds of potential, and had an even better year his second season as the #2 option. Then for some god forsaken reason coach Jim Boylen comes in and turned him into a spot up shooter. He should’ve been an allstar 2-3 years ago had he been allowed to progress. Markkanen always had that ability.
But but but lauri isn't a playmaker or a great rebounder though so he sucks. Pretty much all he does is shoot and make threes and dunks.

You can't beat defenders off the dribble, shoot off the dribble or pass off the dribble if you can't dribble. Hendricks is fine, but he looks like he'll be a complementary player rather than a primary offensive weapon. The Jazz's roster is pretty empty and they need to be looking for primary offensive players with star-level ceilings at this stage, even if they're going to swing and miss. That's why I have Hendricks just outside of my top 10.

It's rare that a player develops ball skills from scratch once they're in the NBA.
He can dribble. Every player can dribble. They have all been dribbling since they were tiny little kids. Its like the first skill any player ever learns. I could dribble before I could even throw a basketball high enough to hit the rim.

Thats why they are top 5 locks in this draft right?
I remember when trey burke had all the star potentials