What's new

Early pulse check on offseason expectations

What should the FO do if all of options below were on the table?

• Total voters
Who is the last great championship team that's tanked? The Spurs? Every other team has either hit below the top 5 of the draft of got great FAs/trades
There are levels to tanking. Lots of teams have done it here and there. But yeah there was a team that won 5 titles for tanking their asses off. Just got a generational talent by doing it again.

All paths to building a title team are fraught with peril and failure. Everyone is currently point to OKC as the "model" they tanked. Every model is a low probability model. Not sure there will ever be an MVP drafted in the middle of the first or second round again. We aren't getting Lebron in FA. Toronto doesn't win a title if an MVP level player isn't injured and available for cheap. If you want to build a team that is like a top 5 team tanking works just like a lot of other methods can work. Just like the other methods it is not fool proof.

Why do you think that? Don't tell me that scouting has magically become much more reliable. Been hearing this for two decades.
I just think the overwhelming majority of mvp talent has come from the top 10 or so picks historically. Mid first round may do it again Nash was around there. Kobe too. I just think if you are talking championship or bust you are going to be relying on an outlier event somewhere. So simply saying tanking doesn't work isn't right.

I just think the overwhelming majority of mvp talent has come from the top 10 or so picks historically. Mid first round may do it again Nash was around there. Kobe too. I just think if you are talking championship or bust you are going to be relying on an outlier event somewhere. So simply saying tanking doesn't work isn't right.

Loads of MVP talents were picked outside of top few picks. Two of the last 3 MVPs, Shai, Kawhi,Booker, Mitchell, Haliburton. Basically 50-50 whether a current top talent was picked in the top 10. But yeah, it stands to reason that the higher the pick, the better the chances.

Loads of MVP talents were picked outside of top few picks. Two of the last 3 MVPs, Shai, Kawhi,Booker, Mitchell, Haliburton. Basically 50-50 whether a current top talent was picked in the top 10. But yeah, it stands to reason that the higher the pick, the better the chances.
Yeah I was more focused on guys that have won mvp and also won a championship because of the tone of “tanking doesn’t work… show me teh ringz “

I think many of the guys mentioned are all nba talent but not quite mvp… they could be best player on a title team though.

I’m genuinely pissed that Clarkson is still on the team
Clarkson has stayed in Utah for more than basketball reasons. He has an identity that is a big deal to Smith from an off the court image standpoint. As soon as Donny turned on the Jazz, Clarkson filled the space for Ryan. Many disagreed with me but I have stated multiple times that he was not going anywhere. I think Keynote may fill the bill and now he has gone to a BYU game with Mr and Mrs Smith. I think Clarkson is gone this summer but I would have been surprised any time before that.

Holding on to Lauri and Sexton while staying in sell mode is a non starter. If they get the royal yank again I doubt they will stick around.

Tanking also happens the way It does because less than a third of the league is actually capable of buying top level talent at free agency (while avoiding losing talent in Free Agency is tied to being viable enough of a contender, especially for those that ain't buyers).

So there's the draft and trades for all franchises, but like 6 of them (and tanking is where one hoards picks and players, given being competent at it).

What I'm curious about team construction.

Keeping Clarkson and Collins (not expecting to raise their values losing more than not till the end of the season) and renegotiating and extending Markkanen at whatever his max would be, what's left of cap space ?

The idea that Danny Ainge would ever feel like he "owes" something to Lauri is hilarious.

IMO Ainge knows he won't see a championship run with the Jazz. He's too old. He gets his late-stage kicks from playing the value hunting game, ****ing over other FO's in trades and hoarding picks.
This is, without a doubt, the stupidest ****ing post I’ve ever read on JazzFanz. Ever. Really, ever - no hyperbole.

This is, without a doubt, the stupidest ****ing post I’ve ever read on JazzFanz. Ever. Really, ever - no hyperbole.
The guy is basically a professional troll. Hands down the most negative poster I have ever seen and just hope he isn't like that in real life otherwise he is ****ed.

The guy is basically a professional troll. Hands down the most negative poster I have ever seen and just hope he isn't like that in real life otherwise he is ****ed.
Nah, I just call it like I see it. Anyone who has worked at any level in a professional business understands that there’s no way that the President of said company would be actively and deliberately undermining the success of that company.

Anyone thinking otherwise is inexperienced, immature, or, yes, an idiot. This isn’t Ancient Aliens: Jazz edition.

Well the jazz hit two generational stars in back to back drafts in the middle of the first. Lol we just didn’t put anyone next to them.
Yeah but ours were more late picks that happened to pan out. San Antonio won the literal lottery and picked the best talent available THREE SEPARATE TIMES, and not just that, but in drafts where there was very clear separation of best player to everyone else. It's not like they got stuck with Olowokandi. They got three (2 for sure) Hall of Famers all-time greats, handed to them on a silver platter.

So **** them.

The Jazz don't currently have a franchise player to build their team around. Until they do, they're going to be treading water and churning assets. They're just sitting back and waiting for opportunities to arise. There's not much else they can do really.

The Jazz don't currently have a franchise player to build their team around. Until they do, they're going to be treading water and churning assets. They're just sitting back and waiting for opportunities to arise. There's not much else they can do really.
Only way to justify the trade deadline we just had is the fact that they are targeting someone specifically on draft night. Maybe they are convinced that someone like Topic or Cody Williams could be “that guy”

The question should be what do I think the jazz will do or is it what do I think they should do? 2 totally different questions.

Will do is the same thing they are doing now. Buy sell on value. Being mediocre to be honest.

What I think they should do is either build up with trades for young, Ingram etc. Or sell everything off and tank properly. I am sick of mediocre.