What's new

Enes Kanter even bigger beast defensively then offensively?

Sucks that he went to UK doe.

What was he like, back in his Kentucky days btw

These stats gotta be regarding all the facts that playing against back ups, minutes he played, fouls number and all. No need to mention he's good post up defender but neither help defender nor P n R. His fouls generally come while he's trying to defend PnR after showing up. The minus part for him is, reacting slowly on defense even though he's been playing for 2 years. He's gotta watch all tapes of Gasol's and try to improve his basketball iq. Positional defense without fouling will be his difference from the others.

Reactions: ema
These stats gotta be regarding all the facts that playing against back ups, minutes he played, fouls number and all. No need to mention he's good post up defender but neither help defender nor P n R. His fouls generally come while he's trying to defend PnR after showing up. The minus part for him is, reacting slowly on defense even though he's been playing for 2 years. He's gotta watch all tapes of Gasol's and try to improve his basketball iq. Positional defense without fouling will be his difference from the others.
iawtp

Kanter's awareness on both ends of the court is sometimes horrible. I believe he can fix this problem only with consistent playing time which he'll get this season finally.

Kanter is very difficult to move on the blocks which messes with players trying to post him up, makes their shot selection more difficult. To me it seems like he alters shots more than blocking shots which is just as effective if the Jazz rebound those misses, and he does a decent job of getting defensive rebounds. I could be off on this, but those are my observations of his game. I'm interested to see if he can keep it up over the whole game, consistently over a whole season of 30+ minutes. I don't remember him being lazy or taking plays off like some other players. I hope this stays true.

Kanter is very difficult to move on the blocks which messes with players trying to post him up, makes their shot selection more difficult. To me it seems like he alters shots more than blocking shots which is just as effective if the Jazz rebound those misses, and he does a decent job of getting defensive rebounds. I could be off on this, but those are my observations of his game. I'm interested to see if he can keep it up over the whole game, consistently over a whole season of 30+ minutes. I don't remember him being lazy or taking plays off like some other players. I hope this stays true.

Very true. The Favors/Kanter combo should be elite at rebounding on both ends.

Questions for the crowd that can't stop talking about "athleticism":

Why doesn't Kanter's superior STRENGTH count toward being considered atheletic?

Why doesn't his ability to move laterally and defend the pnr count?

Why the **** are you so obsessed with leaping... to the detriment of seeing any other variable?

Thanks for the answers

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];657815 said:

Why the **** are you so obsessed with leaping... to the detriment of seeing any other variable?

Thanks for the answers

Pretty much what I said with just a tad less butt.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];657815 said:

Thanks for the answers

I've wondered the same thing for many years. When did "athletic" become a synonym for "can jump really high"? Seems like a very limiting definition, to me.

The first time I remember this bugging me was back in Stockton's days, when people called him unathletic. Apparently his stamina, hand eye coordination, balance, etc., which allowed him to run the court for 48 minutes, make pin-point passes, jump into the passing lanes, have a crazy shooting percentage, etc., didn't involve any athleticism. Or so some people felt.

I've wondered the same thing for many years. When did "athletic" become a synonym for "can jump really high"? Seems like a very limiting definition, to me.

The first time I remember this bugging me was back in Stockton's days, when people called him unathletic. Apparently his stamina, hand eye coordination, balance, etc., which allowed him to run the court for 48 minutes, make pin-point passes, jump into the passing lanes, have a crazy shooting percentage, etc., didn't involve any athleticism. Or so some people felt.

Or get into the lane just about anytime he wanted (with the "want" being more of the limiting factor than anything).

Anyway, Kanter's defensive ability has easily been what has surprised me most about him. I have found myself amazed at his lateral footspeed and his discipline on not lunging toward players to contest shots. If the NBA is really serious about not calling fouls against a defender that doesn't initiate contact, then it bodes very well for Kanter.