What's new

Ersan Ilyasova to sign with Jazz per Jordan Schultz

I pushed back against that narrative then, and I'll continue to do so now. Which rookies should Sloan have played more in order to develop? Who were these "reasonably good rookies" who didn't get playing time, of which you speak? I bet I could name more rookies that he DID play to develop, than you can name ones who had talent that he should have played more to develop.

And Deron got a TON of playing time after about the first month, ie after he knew the offensive and defensive schemes.
While he played some, I think Sloan mismanaged him.
deshawn-stevenson-of-the-utah-jazz-drives-against-the-dallas-during-picture-id2721522

Not 100% sure what this means, if he means he’ll be physically ready to play sooner rather than later, or if it means he’ll be getting minutes sooner. Wonder if the latter because he’s talking about chemistry.

I pushed back against that narrative then, and I'll continue to do so now. Which rookies should Sloan have played more in order to develop? Who were these "reasonably good rookies" who didn't get playing time, of which you speak? I bet I could name more rookies that he DID play to develop, than you can name ones who had talent that he should have played more to develop.

And Deron got a TON of playing time after about the first month, ie after he knew the offensive and defensive schemes.
Well said and very true. NBA coaches in general don't like to play rookies and it is for a good reason. The amount they play is based upon being a phenom in some rare cases but mostly on the bench depth of the team that drafted you.

Not 100% sure what this means, if he means he’ll be physically ready to play sooner rather than later, or if it means he’ll be getting minutes sooner. Wonder if the latter because he’s talking about chemistry.

It means Quin has an Ersan-boner and can’t wait to show it off.

The amount of force required to knock a guy over who is trying to stay up is... a lot.
Depends on how vertical they are. If they are standing straight up, it's not that hard to push the center of gravity past the feet. It's harder if they lean forward a little.

Depends on how vertical they are. If they are standing straight up, it's not that hard to push the center of gravity past the feet. It's harder if they lean forward a little.
The charge is a non-basketball play... you run in and stand in front of someone and go stiff for a second. It literally never happens on a pickup court and there is tons of contact. The Jazz rarely take charges and there is plenty of contact. It is just a weird thing to reward.

It should be reserved for when guys truly dislodge players like what Embiid did to Rudy... but because Rudy wasn't in the traditional charge stance it was not called.

I'll end my rant there... until it is officiated differently it is a smart play and has lots of value... Ersan is in the class of Marcus Smart and Kyle Lowry with regard to charges.

The charge is a non-basketball play... you run in and stand in front of someone and go stiff for a second. It literally never happens on a pickup court and there is tons of contact. The Jazz rarely take charges and there is plenty of contact. It is just a weird thing to reward.

It should be reserved for when guys truly dislodge players like what Embiid did to Rudy... but because Rudy wasn't in the traditional charge stance it was not called.

I'll end my rant there... until it is officiated differently it is a smart play and has lots of value... Ersan is in the class of Marcus Smart and Kyle Lowry with regard to charges.
The charge is important in a league that almost punishes you for playing defense. It allows you to take away a spot from an offensive player if you get there first and rewards intelligence and footwork.

You don't often see it in pickup, because there is no upside in sacrificing your body in a manner that YMCA headband guy driving on you is going to call you for a foul anyway. I have taken charges in pickup games as an intimidation tactic against mentally soft dudes. Even if they try to "call their own." you keep doing it to them and they turn into jump shooters.

The charge is important in a league that almost punishes you for playing defense. It allows you to take away a spot from an offensive player if you get there first and rewards intelligence and footwork.

You don't often see it in pickup, because there is no upside in sacrificing your body in a manner that YMCA headband guy driving on you is going to call you for a foul anyway. I have taken charges in pickup games as an intimidation tactic against mentally soft dudes. Even if they try to "call their own." you keep doing it to them and they turn into jump shooters.
You call a charge in our pickup games and you ain't coming back next week and you gonna get laughed off the court. Guys just play regular defense... ain't about putting your body on the line.

Intimidation? stop.

The charge is a non-basketball play... you run in and stand in front of someone and go stiff for a second. It literally never happens on a pickup court and there is tons of contact.
I remember them in the pick-up games I played. If you can get in someone's way, you do it. There are just no refs to call it.

No one the defender called it. Read more carefully.
If you are taking a charge that means you are calling it as a charge... He said if the guy tries to "call his own" which to me means change it into a foul on you. If the charger is self reporting his charge the defender will not argue. If that isn't what is happening then my reading comprehension is bad or it isn't clear.

If you are taking a charge that means you are calling it as a charge... He said if the guy tries to "call his own" which to me means change it into a foul on you. If the charger is self reporting his charge the defender will not argue. If that isn't what is happening then my reading comprehension is bad or it isn't clear.
Framer said, "headband guy driving on you is going to call you for a foul anyway", which to me was clear that the offensive player is calling the foul on the defender.

Taking a charge is an action, calling one is a different action.

I remember them in the pick-up games I played. If you can get in someone's way, you do it. There are just no refs to call it.
So guys are taking the hit and falling down and everyone plays on? I still play a ton of pickup ball and everyone of the groups would laugh their *** off if someone tried to take a charge.

Its real simple... you hold your ground and wall off the driver by standing in front. If they are going up for a shot you move with them and contest the shot. Occasionally a guy will legitimately dump truck a guy. Almost always the offensive player will call themselves and give up the ball.