What's new

Ersan Ilyasova to sign with Jazz per Jordan Schultz

Some charges are legit. The charge called on Ingles last night was perfectly appropriate. The defender clearly beat Joe to the spot. He should be rewarded with the ball.

On the other hand, in most cases secondary/help defenders should not be eligible to draw charges - when a ballhandler breaks down his primary defender and another defender steps in his path in time to draw a charge - that's lame. They need to get rid of that or carve out a larger "no charge" zone for those types of defenders.

They also need to look at defenders who draw charges after a ball handler makes his pass - e.g. the charge Royce had called on him last night. Royce was not out of control and had already made his pass - the contact made by the defender in that case was incidental to the play.
Pass and crash call drives me crazy

Say what you want about drawing charges and whether it philosophically makes for good basketball or not. I'm just excited to win more, and by more.

Jazz are going to have it rough tomorrow. Between the early game + day light savings - I bet the shooting is going to be very off in the first half.

Did you catch on that he’s saying it’s more acting because they only get called when people allow themselves to fall over?
Yeah, I saw that. I never thought there was only one dumb person on the board.

If you get in the way of a guy whose driving, and you are standing still, you are going to get moved unless there is a huge weight differential.

...zero charges taken or called. Plenty of guys took stationary contact from drivers.
You always love it when people contradict themselves in the space of two sentences.

The charge is a violation... not an action... the drive is the action. If you don’t get it fine but I’m not gonna argue with a guy who played a few pickup games back in his schoolyard days.
The action exists regardless of whether it is called.

If you don't get it, fine, and I should know better than to discuss metaphysics with a guy who thinks playing basketball for 2 hours qualifies him for the subject.

The point being made is that the violation should be the effort to dislodge, not the reaction to some contact being cause for the call. In other words, there should be calls made that aren’t (players that stand their ground but take no less - or arguably more - contact), and calls not made that are (allowing oneself to fall from incidental contact).
I agree, and would extend that to a wide variety of fouls that do and do not get called. However, the use of flopping is different from saying that a taking a charge is or is not a basketball play.

Locates ignore button.
You always love it when people contradict themselves in the space of two sentences.

The action exists regardless of whether it is called.

If you don't get it, fine, and I should know better than to discuss metaphysics with a guy who thinks playing basketball for 2 hours qualifies him for the subject.
There are varying degrees of taking contact from a driver while being stationary... mere contact does not constitute a charging foul. Dislodging a defender does... 90% of time a player must fall down to get a call to demonstrate the player went through them and ran them over. The presence of this falling down almost never happens unless there are referees on the court to trick. In pickup basketball no one ever really falls down in an effort to “take a charge” and there is contact but rarely enough to knock someone off their feet. Thus a charge is more about acting and less about basketball.

If this is too much nuance for you to understand feel free to stfu. I merely mention that I still play pickup regularly because it sounds like you haven’t picked up a ball since your grade school days. I have played pickup regularly for 20+ years and only met one idiot that tried to call for charging fouls and every time he did people laughed at his ***.

Locates ignore button.

There are varying degrees of taking contact from a driver while being stationary... mere contact does not constitute a charging foul. Dislodging a defender does... 90% of time a player must fall down to get a call to demonstrate the player went through them and ran them over. The presence of this falling down almost never happens unless there are referees on the court to trick. In pickup basketball no one ever really falls down in an effort to “take a charge” and there is contact but rarely enough to knock someone off their feet. Thus a charge is more about acting and less about basketball.

If this is too much nuance for you to understand feel free to stfu. I merely mention that I still play pickup regularly because it sounds like you haven’t picked up a ball since your grade school days. I have played pickup regularly for 20+ years and only met one idiot that tried to call for charging fouls and every time he did people laughed at his ***.
I agree with some of what you say but regarding requiring a fall for charge to get called is not that different than head jerks or flailing to get calls. Theatrics are just part of the NBA at this point.

Locates ignore button.
Works for me.

There are varying degrees of taking contact from a driver while being stationary... mere contact does not constitute a charging foul. Dislodging a defender does...
This is correct, and putting yourself in this position is taking a charge, even if you are pushed back a little without falling.

90% of time a player must fall down to get a call to demonstrate the player went through them and ran them over.
Yes, players flop to get calls from referees. The act of taking the charge precedes the flop.

If this is too much nuance for you to understand feel free to stfu.
Not at all. Nor is it too much nuance for me to realize that you are defending your position much more because of the backfire effect than any reasonably logical analysis of it. You should step back and take a moment to think about it.

I merely mention that I still play pickup regularly because it sounds like you haven’t picked up a ball since your grade school days.
Well, I wouldn't say that, either.

Last I checked, playground ball hasn't changed much in the last couple of decades.

I have played pickup regularly for 20+ years and only met one idiot that tried to call for charging fouls and every time he did people laughed at his ***.
Like I said, nothing has changed.