What's new

Ersan Ilyasova to sign with Jazz per Jordan Schultz

Hekate

2022 Prediction Contest Winner

Don't think he is any better than Niang but he is a savvy vet who rebounds and shoots well. His rotations on D are sound but his lateral movement slowed down drastically the last few years. He could teach our guys the art of taking a charge, though.

A few years late on this one, but I've always like Ersan. Hopefully he's in good shape. I don't think he's a rotation guy, but he's nice insurance as a 5/4. Overrated shooter but underrated rebounder/defender.

I prefer Niang, Oni, Brantley, Morgan, and the released Shaq to Ersan.

He does take charges though... hoping this is a 10 day.

I prefer Niang, Oni, Brantley, Morgan, and the released Shaq to Ersan.

He does take charges though... hoping this is a 10 day.
When they say vet minimum deal, it's hard to think that's a 10-day, but obviously who knows.

Anyway, I think we should give him some immediate burn to 1) see what a 5-out lineup is like [with someone who would get enough respect on the perimeter] and 2) get Favors some solid rest over the all-star break and the first few games to actually get more mobile.

Whatever we do after that is fine. Even if Ilyasova is a 10 day or gets waived, I'd like to see a rejuvenated Favors.

When they say vet minimum deal, it's hard to think that's a 10-day, but obviously who knows.

Anyway, I think we should give him some immediate burn to 1) see what a 5-out lineup is like [with someone who would get enough respect on the perimeter] and 2) get Favors some solid rest over the all-star break and the first few games to actually get more mobile.

Whatever we do after that is fine. Even if Ilyasova is a 10 day or gets waived, I'd like to see a rejuvenated Favors.
I highly doubt we use him as a 5. I just don't think he is what we need and would rather see us try a couple mystery boxes... this is kinda the play it safe route and I think we need to aim higher.

A few years late on this one, but I've always like Ersan. Hopefully he's in good shape. I don't think he's a rotation guy, but he's nice insurance as a 5/4. Overrated shooter but underrated rebounder/defender.
This^ I am happy to see the Jazz make a play up front in free agency though, means they're serious. This guy is savvy and though he might actually be 40, he does know how to play.

Some I'm guessing PJ Tucker is off the table.
We had to sign someone by Wednesday, well before any of these other guys will hit the market. Ilyasova very well could be waived in a couple weeks (assuming he's not on a 10-day).

I like it, considering this is from the buy-out market, it could be a good signing. I looked on basketball-reference and this dude has made over 67 million in his career. It must be good to be 6'9" and have some basketball skills.

A bit surprised the Jazz are paying the LT even more just for 10th man insurance.

Will he overtake the Niang minutes or will he just be insurance?

Will he play the 5 if Gobert/Rudy go down, or are those minutes still going to be Morgan's?

Not sure how I feel about ersan but at least they addressed the position of need so I'm happy with this

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

A bit surprised the Jazz are paying the LT even more just for 10th man insurance.

Will he overtake the Niang minutes or will he just be insurance?

Will he play the 5 if Gobert/Rudy go down, or are those minutes still going to be Morgan's?
There was no avoiding the tax with or without Ersan. This will add to it but the tax won't be bad this year so not a big deal. The LT issue is the repeater tax in 2 years and the huge bill we could have next year.

I'm guessing he takes Niang's minutes. Maybe Quin decides to try 5 out but I doubt it unless Favs needs a break.

Is Coach Bud running our front office?

Hard to judge it not knowing what other realistic options the Jazz would have. At least he has size.

Fun fact. I suggested we trade fore him many years ago before jazzfanz twisted me all to hell!! I was run off the thread, so this can’t be a good idea right? Or it’s exactly what we need, I don’t know.