What's new

ESPN has Exum #1

Dante has shown great control, but I wonder if he had more minutes if he would start to make mistakes. I think Quinn is doing a perfect job of building his confidence in a measured manner.

He has to learn somehow. I don't think playing him with second unit teammates against opposing second units is going to teach him how to play against first unit, especially since he is a pass first point guard. I think playing with the starting unit as a point guard for short amounts of time against opposing starters will help him grow.

If Quin is not playing him many minutes because he is afraid Dante's body can't take the physicality of the game (i.e. he'll easily get injured), then I would say that's a valid reason. But if he's just playing him limited minutes to boost his confidence, that is flawed plan and hasn't even been working these past few games.

Negged for realz.

First of all, if you are going to insult someone (especially his intelligence), you should at the very least use proper grammar.

Second of all, I don't care if you think that is a negative statement. There are plenty of people like me who like following their team when they believe there is hope again. Subtract Exum, and I would not have any hope of our current roster contending for a championship. With Exum, I could potentially see the current core team contend for a championship if they all developed nicely.

Anyone still concerned about his leaping ability? I am still waiting for the one hand hammer dunk I saw on video before the Jazz drafted him. So far he has not let it loose and just used 2 hand dunks.

While Dirk is huge, watching him throw Dante around in the post on that switch off the other night may have been the biggest mismatch I have ever seen. Dante's biggest problem is his strength IMO and he knows it and in turn I think he hesitates to explode to the rim tp avoid injury. Dante is very weak at the moment, but I expect to see a physically improved version next year that can better handle the punishment.

Well, that's a good sign! Even though I'd personally like to see Exum take more of a slasher not PG role. Especially if Burks continues to think he's Ray Allen.

Another thing that is impressive about Dante is that he is making it look smooth and easy. He never looks like he is really forcing things and yet good things are happening.

Another thing that is impressive about Dante is that he is making it look smooth and easy. He never looks like he is really forcing things and yet good things are happening.

Totally. I love how in control he is for being such a newbie to the highest level of competition. Don't force things is a good way to look at the way Snyder is bringing Dante along, too. I think 20 minutes a night has looked really good on him. There's no compelling reason to risk injury or heap on the pressure. Imagine how good he could be next year when he is hopefully much stronger.

wow so many ppl on this board have the jerry sloan mentatility. oh no need to rush dante's development, oh I like the slow pace that he's been brought up at, oh we can't throw him into the "wolves".

Screw that, we should be playing him a lot more. Even if that wasn't the right strategy (it is the right strategy), I would still want that to be the case for entertainment purposes. If Exum wasn't on the team I would not watch the Jazz. They are not that exciting, and Hayward, while a very good player, is not someone I'll go out of the way to turn the tv on.

What is the Jerry Sloan mentality? When I think of Jerry Sloan I think of an intelligent coach that led the Utah Jazz to 15 consecutive playoff appearances. Or the coach with the 3rd most wins in NBA history. But yeah your right, he's an idiot. And yeah......... Dante is still a teenager. That may be why they are trying to develop him slow. Just saying.,,,,

What is the Jerry Sloan mentality? When I think of Jerry Sloan I think of an intelligent coach that led the Utah Jazz to 15 consecutive playoff appearances. Or the coach with the 3rd most wins in NBA history. But yeah your right, he's an idiot. And yeah......... Dante is still a teenager. That may be why they are trying to develop him slow. Just saying.,,,,

I was referring to one facet of his mentality, that of believing a player has to play a number of games before he gets to start or have more minutes. For example, Deron Williams didn't get to start immediately and played significantly less minutes than Chris Paul in his rookie season. The majority of coaches would have started Williams right off the bat and played him more minutes per game, but Sloan had that "you have to pay your dues" sort of belief.

In this case, Burke playing poorly and Exum playing well should warrant extra minutes. But as long as Exum is averaging 25+ minutes toward the end of the season (assuming he continues to develop and play well), I'll be content.

I was referring to one facet of his mentality, that of believing a player has to play a number of games before he gets to start or have more minutes. For example, Deron Williams didn't get to start immediately and played significantly less minutes than Chris Paul in his rookie season. The majority of coaches would have started Williams right off the bat and played him more minutes per game, but Sloan had that "you have to pay your dues" sort of belief.

In this case, Burke playing poorly and Exum playing well should warrant extra minutes. But as long as Exum is averaging 25+ minutes toward the end of the season (assuming he continues to develop and play well), I'll be content.

Deron was much further along in his development, and yes, I agree he should've been starting from day one. But Exum is young, raw, and not physically mature like Deron who was at least 3 years older in his rookie year.

I'm fine with bringing the kid off the bench currently. Im still a big fan of Burks.