What's new

Establishing our core

karl malone

Right now, Gobert/Mitchell (& possibly Bradley as a potential role-player) are our only core members IMO. Ingles could be in that group due to his contract/intangibles but I think he is more likely a future trade asset due to his age & limited remaining potential. He's a great role-player but more of a luxury than a long-term building block IMO.

Hood, Exum, & Favors are potential core members but all come with significant question marks & upcoming contractual decisions. Is Hood worth the impending financial commitment that will be required to retain him & is 1 year of him as a go-to option enough time to properly asses his worth? Can Exum eventually put it together & is 1 year enough time to make an informed financial gamble? Can Favors stay healthy & regain his prior form? Does 1 season of old Favors justify a significant long-term contract?

(Rubio is also a potential core player but there are definitely questions as far as spacing goes when sharing the court with Gobert. Luckily DL has an additional year to evaluate the long-term fit.)

I like all 3 players but due to the question marks & limited time to make a decision(s), I believe we should attempt to condense any combination of Exum/Hood/Favors (+ picks for the right player) for that potential 3rd piece. Possibly Ingles as well if a team values him highly. Same goes for Johnson (& Rubio to a lesser extent).

Are there any (realistic) potential targets that people would consider packaging these assets for? Or would people prefer to roll the dice on at least 1 of our current players becoming a core member?

The organization seems intent on continuing to compete in the immediate future so I expect us to move forward with what we have for the time being but I think it's worth at least discussing as having at least 3 impact players on the roster has seemingly become a necessity to truly contend these days.

Last edited:
I'm the optimist who still thinks Exum is going to be an impact player on both sides of the ball. He can still get by his defender and most teams' pick-and-roll coverage, getting in the lane where he's starting to finish as well as make great passes. He's also a plus defender at the one and two. He just needs to hit the open 18-foot jumper off the bounce, finish at the rim and hit 35% of his 3s to be a complete player.

Exum, Mitchell and Gobert are all plus-athletes with 2-way potential and good basketball IQs. If Rubio really sparkles and makes Exum extraneous, then it's possible the Jazz could move him, but the return would have to be great.

I would trade Favors and possibly Joe Johnson in the right deal for a first-round pick in this year's draft to get a talented forward. The Jazz need an athletic 2-way player at either forward position. They can then fill in the other forward spot with a FA.

Hood is worth keeping on the right deal. It's a numbers question with him. If we can get him at $12M - $14M/year, I'd extend him.

The Jazz's core ranges in age from Mitchell (20) to Gobert (25). Three or four years from now is when this new iteration of the Jazz should be peaking. We need our new forward talent to be within that age range.

Bradley?

How can someone be both core and a role player?

Not following you on this

Core to me means players you build around. Jazz only have two: Gobert and Mitchell. I'm being premature, I realize, with Donovan. But I'll bet if you approachef DL with a trade proposal for just about anyone, he wouldn't want to part with either.

Anyone else is tradeable. Eventually, I think DL makes a choice between Exum and Rubio. I like Hood, but Mitchell has to play the 2. Can Hood guard 3's?

There's an outside chance at this point, albeit very small, that the Jazz would consider trading Gobert for a top pick in this next draft. The rationale would be to grab a star player closer in age to Mitchell. If Bradley performed really well, that might factor into such a decision.

Again, highly unlikely, but not impossible.

There's virtually NO chance of that happening, Catchall. Perhaps if Lindsey died and you became GM. Or if Rudy demanded a trade.

It's not like Rudy is 30+. He's arguably a top-10 player who likes Utah and embodies the team philosophy. Jazz AREN'T rebuilding. They took a hit losing Hayward, but Mitchell may almost offset that loss by next year. Rubio is a different player than Hill but roughly equal (and a bigger impact if he plays more than 49 games). PF is the real concern going forward, IMO.

Last edited:
I feel like jf is trying to make this team more than it is. Los of unfair expectations. Honestly we have a bunch of question marks plus Rudy.

Rookies take several years to contribute, and we have a lot of guys we assume will be healthy that haven't. I'm the eternal optimist, but we are several moves or miracles from contender status. I think the plan makes it possible for that to occur, but I'm seeing so many assumptions around here.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

There's an outside chance at this point, albeit very small, that the Jazz would consider trading Gobert for a top pick in this next draft. The rationale would be to grab a star player closer in age to Mitchell. If Bradley performed really well, that might factor into such a decision.

Again, highly unlikely, but not impossible.
I say impossible.

Core Players

Rudy Gobert - He is the only one on the team that warrants the title core player. He is a top 10 player in the NBA and arguably the best center (At least defensively) in the NBA. He is the player that the Jazz will need to build around period.

Potential Core Memebers

Donovan Mitchell - He can be one of the best 2 way players in the nba but he hasnt even played 1 nba game yet. I can't name him a core player until he plays a season in the NBA. His 3pt shooting looks legit and he seems to love to play defense. He also seems to like it in Utah or at least the Jazz.

Dante Exum - In my opinion this is the make it or break it season for Exum. He has a lot to prove and I think this season he will show a lot. I really like chemistry that Exum and Mitchell showed in the summer league and together I think they make an amazing combo at the 1 and the 2 with either being able to play both positions.

Rodney Hood - Is the dark horse on becoming a core piece but he has this season to prove that he can be that piece the Jazz have lost. His age is one of the biggest concerns as he is older then the other potential core pieces. Consistency will have to be his calling card to gain the "Core" title.

Ricky Rubio - Has the potential to be in this discusion and create one of the best 1-2-3 punches in the league with Exum and DM. The only thing keeping him from become one of the best PGs in the game is a 3py shot. even 35% from 3 will keep teams honest and he would be considered one of the core players in Utah.

Role players that are replaceable

Derrick Favors - I hate to say it and Favs is one of my favorite Jazz players but this is an either or situtation. IF ricky Rubio is part of the future then Favs is not. Favs doesnt help with the problem that Jazz will have with spacing. Snyder's offense needs a stretch 4 and right now favs is not that. If, and this is a big if, Favs can shoot the 3 ball this season then he might be worth keeping.

Joe Ingles - Age is the key here and he is the perfect role player in the NBA. Great bench guy, great locker room guy and a great team player.

I love all of the optimism. I'd rather be an optimist and be disappointed any day of the week over being a ****ing self-proclaimed realist.

All that negative hedging in hopes of being able to say "I told you". Posting doubt and sardonic pessimism on forums all day to serve my own ego. **** that ****.

I'm a Jazz fan. Feed me irrational hype all day. It's so much more fun.

There's virtually NO chance of that happening, Catchall. Perhaps if Lindsey died and you became GM. Or if Rudy demanded a trade.

It's not like Rudy is 30+. He's arguably a top-10 player who likes Utah and embodies the team philosophy. Jazz AREN'T rebuilding. They took a hit losing Hayward, but Mitchell may almost offset that loss by next year. Rubio is a different player than Hill but roughly equal (and a bigger impact if he plays more than 49 games). PF is the real concern going forward, IMO.

Rudy is likely a top 10 - 15 player in the league, but if the Jazz were offered a top 3 or 4 pick and Marvin Bagley was on the board, the Jazz would have to think about it. A few other factors would come into play, but it's not impossible.

I love all of the optimism. I'd rather be an optimist and be disappointed any day of the week over being a ****ing self-proclaimed realist.

All that negative hedging in hopes of being able to say "I told you". Posting doubt and sardonic pessimism on forums all day to serve my own ego. **** that ****.

I'm a Jazz fan. Feed me irrational hype all day. It's so much more fun.

Agree on the hedging. Feels like this place is going to implode when reality sets in 10 games in. That's what I'm afraid of.

Agree on the hedging. Feels like this place is going to implode when reality sets in 10 games in. That's what I'm afraid of.

Yeah. Well, of course it could all go to ****. DM could be Morris Almond. You know what? I don't care. The only effect on me is going to be another bowl of cereal.

I love the Mitchell hype. I love believing that Rodney Hood will step up and kill it for us. I don't really give a **** about all of the negative possibilities. I'm going to root for the Jazz unabashedly and unafraid no matter what.

George Hill missed 33 games and was playing injured and tentatively in the 2nd half of the year.

Boris Diaw couldn't defend, shoot or rebound.

Trey Lyles fell out of the rotation.

Shelvin Mack is not the guy we want running this team.

Jeff Withey was a pretty limited player.

We lost Hayward, but everywhere else the roster improved compared to last season.

I think the Jazz are going to do anything they can to retain the players they've drafted. Makes for better success stories. They will want to keep hood, as long as he is loyal. I'm worried he might be following haywood footprints. I just don't think Hood will have the balls to leave rudy, so I'd put him in the core. Ingles screams loyalty and praises the jazz for his improvement so he's a shoe in. I also see him coming off the bench if the occasion calls for it. Don Mitch already has jazz dna, quickly became a fan favorite, has earned gobert and ingles approvals already and seems to have dennis lindsey wrapped around his finger. He seems to be the promised child.
So I would put our core in those 4. Exum is shakey imo, I have best hopes for him though

Sent from my SM-G900V using JazzFanz mobile app