What's new

Evan Fournier

Definitely. I had mentioned a trade for him and Mario weeks ago. The Fournier contract is solid - he's worth it.

This would be horrible for the Jazz financially. Biyombo would be a complete nightmare for the team at his salary.
It depends. Fournier I'd say has a reasonable contract that's locked in for a few years. We get off of paying Hood, plus get off of ~$30M of Burks and Rubio for next year. We pick up an additional year of $17M on Biyombo assuming he opts in (he should).

It depends. Fournier I'd say has a reasonable contract that's locked in for a few years. We get off of paying Hood, plus get off of ~$30M of Burks and Rubio for next year. We pick up an additional year of $17M on Biyombo assuming he opts in (he should).
We are scared of paying Hood but will take 2 more years of paying Biyombo 17 million a year/ All for 2 years of Fournier before we have to worry about overpaying him?

Just so we all know, here are our contract breakdowns for the next two years http://www.basketballinsiders.com/utah-jazz-team-salary/:

2018-19
Gobert 23.5
Ingles 13
Thabo 5.3 (nonguaranteed)
Jerekbo 4.2 (nonguaranteed)
Udoh 3.4 (nonguaranteed)
Mitchell 3.1
Bradley 1.7
O'Neal 1.4 (nonguaranteed)
TOTAL: $55.6
Exum $15 cap hold
Hood $7.2 cap hold
Neto $1.9 cap hold
All others would probably be renounced (JoeJ and Favors)

2019-20
Gobert 25
Ingles 12
Mitchell 3.7
Bradley 2 (nonguaranteed)
O'Neal 1.6 (nonguaranteed)
TOTAL: $44.3
Thabo $6.8 cap hold
Jerekbo $5.5 cap hold
Udoh $4.4 cap hold
All others would probably be renounced (Rubio and Burks)

So if we were to add Biyombo and Fournier to 2018-19, were are at $55.6+$34=$89.6 for 10 players. That's not bad. The luxury line this year is around $120 million and I would imagine it would stay the same or maybe go up a million or two.

So think about this financially:

Burks, Rubio and JoeJ to get Biyombo and Fournier = $89.6. Keep Hood ($15 per year), Exum ($12 per year), and our draft pick ($3.5 per year). All that would get us to $120. We would be right at the luxury line with 13 players.

So if we were to add Biyombo and Fournier to 2018-19, were are at $55.6+$34=$89.6 for 10 players. That's not bad. The luxury line this year is around $120 million and I would imagine it would stay the same or maybe go up a million or two.

So think about this financially:

Burks, Rubio and JoeJ to get Biyombo and Fournier = $89.6. Keep Hood ($15 per year), Exum ($12 per year), and our draft pick ($3.5 per year). All that would get us to $120. We would be right at the luxury line with 13 players.
So you're content rolling out that roster for the next 3 years? Because that's pretty much what you're pigeonholing yourself into with that move. I think there is zero chance the Jazz would even consider taking back Biyombo. Orlando could offer their first rounder and they'd probably still have doubts. DL keeps stressing flexibility, and locking into a 17mil backup center for 3 years is about the best way to completely shoot yourself in the foot. Fournier would be nice, but he's not a franchise altering player (I'm still inclined to say Hood is the better prospect), so it would be pretty dumb to make a very significantly franchise-altering move to acquire him.

So you're content rolling out that roster for the next 3 years? Because that's pretty much what you're pigeonholing yourself into with that move. I think there is zero chance the Jazz would even consider taking back Biyombo. Orlando could offer their first rounder and they'd probably still have doubts. DL keeps stressing flexibility, and locking into a 17mil backup center for 3 years is about the best way to completely shoot yourself in the foot. Fournier would be nice, but he's not a franchise altering player (I'm still inclined to say Hood is the better prospect), so it would be pretty dumb to make a very significantly franchise-altering move to acquire him.

If we had any faith that flexibility could lead us to a player as proven as Fournier, I would definitely never add Biyombo. However, I have my doubts. I do think this main rotation has a ton of potential:

Mitchell, Exum, Hood, Fournier, Ingles, Gobert and our 2018 draft pick. There is a ton of flexibility in those matchups. And I'd rather take Biyombo and his contract AND keep Hood than use Hood to get Fournier. That just seems like a lateral move.

This would be horrible for the Jazz financially. Biyombo would be a complete nightmare for the team at his salary.

I have watched a lot of Bismack in Toronto, that playoff off series before his free agency led to his major pay out. He played with such defensive intensity and passionate rebounding, after his huge contract... Not so much, so no...

If we can land him without giving up a 1st I'd do it. I mean it'd not be a fair deal but ORL made worse trades in the past, didn't they?
Dude is young, talented, somehow underrated, hell he can perhaps average 20 ppg with us. DM would finally have another reliable shooter to pass the ball besides Joe Ingles (yes)