What's new

Evolution discussion

One Brow

Contributor
Separating this from the Boston Marathon bombing thread

I ain't claiming he is strictly a professional mathmetician. He has had varied professions, and it is simply one of his many professional pursuits
He happens to write in book form (20x), like Chuck Darwin. But let's move on.

Is invoking Darwin's name, or some supposed similarity between Darwin and Dembski, supposed to be meaningful?

I understand now that Dembski doesn't rule out natural, undirected contingencies (chance) altogether, but he shows how it is unable to account for the creation of coordinated, and complex systems that make up humans, other animals, and plant life.

Undirected contingencies don't account for much of anything...maybe tumors.

There is an entire field of evolutionary design and programming that contradicts this. You set up a few conditions that determine success and some basic starting point. You repeatedly generate a couple of thousand designs with small, random changes (random variation) and then pick out the ones the best fit the criteria (natural selection). You keep repeating this until you get the behavior you want. Among other things, I recall there was an antenna designed by this process, one that looked nothing like any previous antenna designed by humans, that worked better than a human-designed antenna.

By the way, tumors are also very sophisticated forms of life. Some have existed for generations, being passed on from animal to animal (or in the case of Hela cultures, Petri dish to Petri dish)

Dembski has no desire to deny that rocks can be eroded to look like a face, but then again if you claim the faces on Mount Mushmore are merely a product of erosion, it is then he will have a problem with your claim.

So would I. However, the reason is that, unlike the Man in the Mountain, Mt. Rushmore exhibits simplicity in it's design. Its faces are smooth, its lines are straight, its curves are steady. That's why it looks designed. That's why Complex Specified Information is an unworkable concept -- specifications are simplifications, thematically opposed to complexity.

The problem for Darwiniacs is that most, if not all, of our biological systems look like "Mount Rushmore."

Mt. Rushmore has no dangling parts, jury-rigged systems, useless baggage, etc. (By contrast, the man in the Mountain does have many extraneous features). Our biological systems show all kinds of complexities, but that puts them in opposition to Mt. Rushmore.

This is where the Darwiniac quip, "God of the gaps," comes in. Except in this case the so called "gaps" are grand-canyonesque.

No, there are better arguments to make in this particular case.

Formula (*) asserts that the information in both A and B jointly is the information in A plus the information in B that is not in A. Its point, therefore, is to spell out how much additional information B contributes to A. As such, this formula places tight constraints on the generation of new information. Does, for instance, a computer program, call it A, by outputting some data, call the data B, generate new information? Computer programs are fully deterministic, and so B is fully determined by A. It follows that P(B|A) = 1, and thus I(B|A) = 0 (the logarithm of 1 is always 0). From Formula (*) it therefore follows that I(A&B) = I(A), and therefore that the amount of information in A and B jointly is no more than the amount of information in A by itself.​

Dembski's formula accounts for A & B when the two are "probablistically independent" so your book could be divided into the 1st half and the second half. There is no more information in the second half than in the first half.

I take it you are responding to my point that, when you join the two copies of a book together end-to-end, the result has more information than the original book. To be clear, I agree that there is no more information in the second half of the book than in the first half. It is also true that the joining of the two copies together has more information than either half does, often significantly more.

If that is the case then you've got yourself a crazy *** piece of dogma rather than a scientifically testable theory, which has been my point all along.

Why do you think the lack of a final step, or truly distinct steps, makes the theory untestable?

Okay, I read more thoroughly and found where Dembski addresses chance (random mutation) paired with necessity (natural selection):

Because information presupposes contingency, necessity is by definition incapable of producing information, much less complex specified information. For there to be information there must be a multiplicity of live possibilities, one of which is actualized, and the rest of which are excluded. This is contingency.
Whenever chance and necessity work together, the respective contributions of chance and necessity can be arranged sequentially. But by arranging the respective contributions of chance and necessity sequentially, it becomes clear that at no point in the sequence is CSI generated.​

First, I'm going to replace "CSI" with "useful information". Second, this is a reductionist fallacy. You can produce something by a sequences of steps even when no one step is responsible for producing the result. One example is the division algorithm (aka long division). Subtraction is not division, and multiplication is not division, comparing the size of two numbers is not division, but by using subtractions, multiplications, and comparison in the right order, you perform division. Similarly, by combining chance and necessity, you produce useful information, even though no individual step produces it.

As I mentioned above the book could be divided into 2 halves as they would be "probablistically independent" in that way.

I think you mean "dependent", not "independent". I agree, they are dependent. Yet, the two copies laid end-to-end still has more information.

If that useless pile of rocks that collapsed 10 years ago was capable of disagreeing with me I could see it's significance.

You don't think it looked like a man? Or do yo think that it was sculpted by human?

PearlWatson: I haven't read your new responses yet but I just realized that I am either being punked or you just unwittingly provided the perfect example of Complex Specified Information with intelligent causes (language) ...

Dembski uses language as an example himself so I understand it perfectly.
Intelligent causes act by making a choice. How then do we recognize that an intelligent cause has made a choice? A bottle of ink spills accidentally onto a sheet of paper; someone takes a fountain pen and writes a message on a sheet of paper. In both instances ink is applied to paper. In both instances one among an almost infinite set of possibilities is realized. In both instances a contingency is actualized and others are ruled out. Yet in one instance we infer design, in the other chance.​

The most common languages and alphabets were not designed. They evolved. Today we design languages that imitate the products of evolution.

Human teeth have different wear patterns based on human adaption. The appendix "would have" changed if development occurred over millions of years, but the changes can already be accounted for over the span of hundreds or thousands of years, so there is no need to make huge million year leaps.

There is no million-year leap, just evidence of millions of years. However, By the way, do you know you are invoking super-evolution? No evolutionist would accept the huge changes in the structure of humans had occurred in hundreds or thousands of years; that would be much too fast a time for evolution to operate to that degree on a species that had a generation every fifteen/twenty years. You downplay what evolution can do, and then invoke a much stronger version of it.

If humans are "ape-like" now then the Darwiniac "ape-like ancestor" is an even more meaningless concept.

Saying humans are "ape-like" is like saying house cats are "feline-like" and dogs are "canine-like". House cats are felines, dogs are canines, humans are apes. There is no evolutionary "ape-like ancestor", there is a common ancestry between humans and other apes, closer than the ancestry between any human and any non-ape, an ape ancestry.

The most common languages and alphabets were not designed. They evolved. Today we design languages that imitate the products of evolution.

Would that more people would learn and speak Esperanto... a constructed language that was intentionally allowed to evolve, and is continuing to evolve.

There is an entire field of evolutionary design and programming that contradicts this.

....."design" comes from a "designer!" The more complex the design the more intelligent the designer! Thus the expression "evolutionary design" is extremely problematic! Now, a intelligent "Creator" who designed the Universe, Solar System, Ecosystem, DNA, etc. that would be a correct statement of fact!

"Another source of conviction in the existence of God, connected with the reason and not with the feelings, impresses me as having much more weight. This follows from the extreme difficulty or rather impossibility of conceiving this immense and wonderful universe, including man with his capacity of looking far backwards and far into futurity, as the result of blind chance or necessity. When thus reflecting I feel compelled to look to a First Cause having an intelligent mind in some degree analogous to that of man; and I deserve to be called a Theist."

-Charles Darwin autobiography page 92 (he also says somewhere else that he is an agnostic but atheists like to claim that agnosticism and atheism aren't mutually exclusive so the same can be applied to theism)

Kenneth Miller which is a famous biologist (you probably used his textbook in high school, I know I did) is a Roman Catholic. He said that people that believe in evolution and god believe a god that with just one hit on the cue ball causes all the pool balls to be knocked into the holes. Creationists believe in a god that requires to hit the cue ball many times. I think the former is more impressive.

Evolution is true, just don't believe this ******** that atheists like to put into their talking points that it contradicts god.

So we agree that evolution is true - which is silly to deny as evidence is so overhelming. I guess major disagreement point here is how it all started. My personal opinion is nobody knows and big bang theory and accidental formation of life has same value as " Earth being a laboratory field " for some intelligent "designer". Now some people may chose to call it God, or alliens, or whatever higher intelligence it was ( if it is true) - nobody knows for sure and everybody picks whatever they want to believe. What makes me sad is creationist idiots who ignore any scientific evidence for Earth age and evolution and try to spread their idiotic ideas via "Creation museums" and books like "Of Pandas and People".

Yay. This topic continues. I get to see pretty much everybody butcher the concept of natural selection some more.

So TBS "believes" in evolution now?

I would be very pleasantly surprised to find out that TBS is capable of changing his mind if confronted with enough evidence.

Reactions: MVP
I would be very pleasantly surprised to find out that TBS is capable of changing his mind if confronted with enough evidence.

Well, he changed his mind when he converted to Islam ( wondering at what age? ). There is minimal possibility he may convert to other religion or become atheist if confronted with undeniable evidence. People and their views change with age and experience.

So TBS "believes" in evolution now?

I never denied evolution. In fact I have been pumping this video ever since evolution got brought up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugu3cZN-3jU. I am glad that atheists finally believe in the "Muhammedian theory of evolution of man from lower forms" as it used to be called.

So we agree that evolution is true

We believe animals that exist can adapt to their environment, what we don't believe in is Darwin's crazy *** accidental common ancestry theory as explained by Mr. Garrison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzSX37C5J4

Yay. This topic continues. I get to see pretty much everybody butcher the concept of natural selection some more.

The beauty of "natural selection" and "climate change" is that they can be used to mean whatever damn thing you want.

200 parts come together to make a flagellum. Natural Selection!

Parents neglect their kids and they die. Natural Selection!

13 types of birds with different sized beaks exist on one island. Natural Selection!

It snows in the spring. Climate change!

A hurricane hits the East Coast. Climate change!

A man made fire burns down mountain homes in California. Climate change!

The language of consensus science is so wonderfully versatile.

I am glad that atheists finally believe in the "Muhammedian theory of evolution of man from lower forms" as it used to be called.

15:26 Verily we created man out of potter's clay of black mud altered.

15:28 And remember when thy Lord said unto the angels: Lo! I am creating
a mortal out of potter's clay of black mud altered.

16:4 He created man from a drop of fluid, yet, behold! he is an open
opponent

22:5 O mankind! If you are in any doubt concerning the Resurrection, then
lo! We have created you from dust, then from a drop of seed, then from a clot,
then from a little lump of flesh shapely and shapeless, that We may make it
clear for you.

23:12 Verily we created man from a product of wet earth (loam).
23:13 Then placed him (as a drop of seed) in a safe lodging;
23:14 Then fashioned We the drop a clot, then fashioned We the clot a little
lump, then fashioned We the little clot bones, then clothed the bones with
flesh, and then produced it as another creature. So blessed be Allah, the
Best of Creators!

Sorry but it is not a theory of evolution. Maybe Siro has good description what it is but to me it looks no different then Eve's creation from Adam's rib.

15:26 Verily we created man out of potter's clay of black mud altered.

15:28 And remember when thy Lord said unto the angels: Lo! I am creating
a mortal out of potter's clay of black mud altered.

16:4 He created man from a drop of fluid, yet, behold! he is an open
opponent

22:5 O mankind! If you are in any doubt concerning the Resurrection, then
lo! We have created you from dust, then from a drop of seed, then from a clot,
then from a little lump of flesh shapely and shapeless, that We may make it
clear for you.

23:12 Verily we created man from a product of wet earth (loam).
23:13 Then placed him (as a drop of seed) in a safe lodging;
23:14 Then fashioned We the drop a clot, then fashioned We the clot a little
lump, then fashioned We the little clot bones, then clothed the bones with
flesh, and then produced it as another creature. So blessed be Allah, the
Best of Creators!

Sorry but it is not a theory of evolution. Maybe Siro has good description what it is but to me it looks no different then Eve's creation from Adam's rib.

Actually it sound like the idea that life began in a puddle of prehistoric goo that you Darwiniacs imagine.

We believe animals that exist can adapt to their environment, what we don't believe in is Darwin's crazy *** accidental common ancestry theory

Everybody has right to chose what to believe. To me it is undeniable that all currently living organisms on Earth share a common genetic heritage (universal common descent), with each being the descendant from a single original species. To you it is crazy *** theory. Thats fine. To me it is crazy *** delusion that man was created from clay or in single day.
There is species getting extinct and new species appearing on Earth every day. Creator to blame?

Everybody has right to chose what to believe. To me it is undeniable that all currently living organisms on Earth share a common genetic heritage (universal common descent), with each being the descendant from a single original species. To you it is crazy *** theory. Thats fine. To me it is crazy *** delusion that man was created from clay or in single day.
There is species getting extinct and new species appearing on Earth every day. Creator to blame?

Nope. Climate change is to blame.

Those all sound crazy to me.

What is the point of responding over and over to the exact same soundbites? PW is heavily invested in creationism, and WELL past the point of rational discourse. So why bother?

Nope. Climate change is to blame.

Those all sound crazy to me.

You seem to be forgetting that you've been told to believe that climate change is a natural part of the planet's cycle. Not that it doesn't exist...

Edit: I must say though, your most annoying catch phrase got to be "consensus science". Which seems to disagree with a scientific model simply because of the fact that the evidence is so thorough and uncontroversial, that every human being who studies the evidence agrees with the conclusion. In short, you're mocking those who have knowledge for not sharing your ignorance based opinion. You can't see how ridiculous that FoxNews catch phrase is?

Last edited:
I never denied evolution. In fact I have been pumping this video ever since evolution got brought up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugu3cZN-3jU. I am glad that atheists finally believe in the "Muhammedian theory of evolution of man from lower forms" as it used to be called.

I could have sworn that we had a discussion where I told you evolution was taught in Muslim schools long before Darwin. But maybe it was someone else.