What's new

Exit Interviews

If two way players come at such a premium, why did we use all our assets on an injury prone player who isn't a two way player?

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
Also when you have an opportunity to draft one then maybe spend a pick on one instead of taking a center... like draft josh hart or Derrick white instead of Tony Bradley... maybe get Desmond Bane or take a flier on McDaniels who had as much potential as anyone to be one of these extremely valuable players... instead you took an unskilled center which last time I checked is the most discounted type of player in the league.

**** of DL and Zanik you dumb bastards.

How about this...

Use all the draft capital they burned this year and do the sign-and-trade that landed Christian Wood instead of signing Favors.

Or whatever. Someone good at playing basketball. And I'm done with this argument that everything that affects a basketball game is a basketball skill. Nah. Basketball skill being someone has a basketball and are asked to do something with it that doesn't consist of being big and having hands.
You mean guys that can shoot pass and dribble? Guys like Desmond bane? We were very high on him but Udoka had a spreadsheet analytics score of 9.5 which is the highest since TB.

I loved all the metrics they used to show how great Udoka was at defense in college... yeah no **** guys if you have a huge human and a set of rules that say he never has to leave the paint he will be effective at defense... guess what changes in the nba?

There were also guys like Kent Bazemore that we could have convinced to come over with a chunk of the MLE... the Favs addition was such an overkill move when you consider what we already had at center... the you put the Udoka pick in there too... like the cherry on an incompetence sundae.
Favors and doke were just examples of this "continuity" approach taken by the FO when they should've looked for "flexibility".

And "continuity" is exactly what we end up getting that is to get knocked out of the playoffs in the same exact fashion five years in a row by getting absolutely torched from the perimeter when the opponents going small.

So I guess FO really did get what they wanted. Mission accomplished. Good job.

Maybe Dok and Hughes will pan out but I doubt it. Dok got hurt the first game with the Stars and Hughes stunk the DLeague up. Also neither got any time as the season wound down. You would have thought if they showed anything in practice they would have been given some run.

It also kills me that Bruce brown went for a 2021 second round pick... I advocated giving up our first for the guy... he is a do **** player of the highest order... does all the in between **** and just plays whatever position you want him too. Can’t shoot but has been willing to try if we need it. Handles the ball passes and literally guards like 1-4 well. Was on a minimum deal.... how did we not get one of these guys?

Maybe Dok and Hughes will pan out but I doubt it. Dok got hurt the first game with the Stars and Hughes stunk the DLeague up. Also neither got any time as the season wound down. You would have thought if they showed anything in practice they would have been given some run.
What exactly would they help us fix though? Their ceilings are poor man version of Rudy and JC, respectively. And both guys already got torched by the clippers.

Favors and doke were just examples of this "continuity" approach taken by the FO when they should've looked for "flexibility".

And "continuity" is exactly what we end up getting that is to get knocked out of the playoffs in the same exact fashion five years in a row by getting absolutely torched from the perimeter when the opponents going small.

So I guess FO really did get what they wanted. Mission accomplished. Good job.
Yeah kinda funny they wanted to double down to stay the same way in the future... especially considering where the league is obviously headed.

It also kills me that Bruce brown went for a 2021 second round pick... I advocated giving up our first for the guy... he is a do **** player of the highest order... does all the in between **** and just plays whatever position you want him too. Can’t shoot but has been willing to try if we need it. Handles the ball passes and literally guards like 1-4 well. Was on a minimum deal.... how did we not get one of these guys?
We literally could have done the NY deal to get the extra second... gave the first rounder to Detroit for Brown and then used the second rounder on whoever... it would have given us a better roster this year by a lot AND gotten us within a reasonable distance to avoid the luxury tax. Which then allows us to duck the repeater tax to keep things together. So the team gets better and Ryan saves 5-7M or so this year.

The thing that bothered me about Rudy's interview is that he didn't acknowledge his weaknesses and what he needed to improve. He took no responsibility for the meltdown in game 6 to which his contribution was probably the greatest. To become a great player, he needs to acknowledge that he needs to work on his ability to catch and hang on to the ball, and how much his continual flubbing passes and fumbling the ball hurts the team.

This gets attention because Oni was complete *** and that it turns out having real, meaningful depth matters a lot in the playoffs, especially if it builds out a team's versatility.

How does Oni's development improve the Jazz? Maybe one day in year 5 he can be an end-of-rotation player like Niang? This thinking is dog ****.

They need to figure out how they're going to float the loss of Conley and find a stretch/smallball-5 worth a god damn. Oni ain't either, but sure, it'd be great if he didn't suck.

I think Oni's confidence in his shot is gone. He needs time in the G-League. Maybe he rebounds, it has happened before...and it has also not...so....

The thing that bothered me about Rudy's interview is that he didn't acknowledge his weaknesses and what he needed to improve. He took no responsibility for the meltdown in game 6 to which his contribution was probably the greatest. To become a great player, he needs to acknowledge that he needs to work on his ability to catch and hang on to the ball, and how much his continual flubbing passes and fumbling the ball hurts the team.
Yeah, he got a little defensive over David James and Andy Larsens questions.

I don’t know what you could get for Rudy, but Rudy/Donovan still is not as smooth as some want to believe IMO.

The answer to small-ball actually isn't defense in the context of Rudy. It is that he HAS to impose his will on the game when he is so much bigger. He has to draw triple teams on every roll and has to be able to punish when they switch a guard on him in single coverage with aplomb.

Some of this stuff is outside of Gobert's wheelhouse, but I cannot be convinced that he can't bully a guard and just spin and dunk. We don't need immense skill, we simply need him to play his size. Gobert plays a cerebral and conservative game, but at a certain point, his mentality needs to shift into the alpha he thinks he is and just yak on fools smaller than him.

Why would he... it is a sin of the highest order to even think that maybe it might be partly his fault.

The answer to small-ball actually isn't defense in the context of Rudy. It is that he HAS to impose his will on the game when he is so much bigger. He has to draw triple teams on every roll and has to be able to punish when they switch a guard on him in single coverage with aplomb.

Some of this stuff is outside of Gobert's wheelhouse, but I cannot be convinced that he can't bully a guard and just spin and dunk. We don't need immense skill, we simply need him to play his size. Gobert plays a cerebral and conservative game, but at a certain point, his mentality needs to shift into the alpha he thinks he is and just yak on fools smaller than him.
Well guys have to pass him the ball. Rudy gets like 5-7 shots in the game he if he is lucky. Another thing he needs to develop is 10-15 shot. He needs to use his hook shot more and stop just being a dunker.

What exactly would they help us fix though? Their ceilings are poor man version of Rudy and JC, respectively. And both guys already got torched by the clippers.
if you believe their college coaches both could become really good NBA players. Maybe we would not have hemmoraged as badly if they took some of the load off Rudy and Spida.

Last edited:
Ingles, Conley, Mitchell driving and feeding Gobert consistently would have been good. My proposal is that the 4 and the 3 needs to do it. Royce and Bogey need to add it to their game. Sorry, I think that is easier than Gobert revamping his offensive skills or what not. 4 guys who can drive and lob.

And the obvious answer - a super duper athletic 3-D.

Why would he... it is a sin of the highest order to even think that maybe it might be partly his fault.
He give guys credit when he wins an award and he is always speaking about defense being a team game. Beside the fact that he is being asked questions right after elimination and blowing a 26 pt lead. Rudy is emotional guy any ways. The problem is as good as our defensive rating is the Jazz on ball defense is bad and they lack size. Everyone saw this last year against Denver and we did nothing to address it. Even after DL mentioned it in last year's exit interviews. I put the blame on the GMs. Look at the end of our bench compared to other teams. There was a reason why our scrubs would lose big leads when they played. It is time to stop developing 2nd and G leaguers and get some NBA players who can be strong bench players. The Clippers were like 12 deep and we were about 7 deep. Niang is a perfect example of the weakness of the Jazz. Sure George is a playoff caliber NBA guy. I hope they do not bring him back.

Well guys have to pass him the ball. Rudy gets like 5-7 shots in the game he if he is lucky. Another thing he needs to develop is 10-15 shot. He needs to use his hook shot more and stop just being a dunker.
Yeah, he just kinda sucks at catching and finishing in traffic.