What's new

Expansion

David Hume

How will expansion to Seattle and Las Vegas affect our draft positioning and our roster? Just curious.

It looks like previously, the NBA has given the expansion team the first pick after the lottery - which used to be #4, it would be #5 now.

Anyone have an idea of what the realistic timeline for expansion is?

I had to look for a link because I hadn't heard there was any new news, but it does look like it will happen. I mentioned this before, but it made bottoming out now vs in a few years more important. It's hard to out tank an expansion team.

Well, I did say in the Bogey thread that he’s start the season on the Seattle SuperSonics, so I believe, whatever the pick is, it will be ours.

Hopefully Utah is good by the time the new teams come in. I doubt they are going to be here within the next few years. **** like this takes a while after it's announced I would assume.

How will expansion to Seattle and Las Vegas affect our draft positioning and our roster? Just curious.
It wouldn't for a few years before they gear up operations. By that time and the Heavens, our God Ainge, and his only begotten Lieutenant Zanik willing, it won't matter much.

Interesting. I always thought Kansas city would be a better expansion city. I guess Vegas is the hot bed. Memphis is the team that needs to go to the east.
Every professional sports league wants a team in Las Vegas now that gambling isn't taboo. They're building a $4B stadium in Vegas to host the team.

Something that will also be interesting to monitor is the fact that each team can only protect 8 players on their roster when there's an expansion draft.

Something that will also be interesting to monitor is the fact that each team can only protect 8 players on their roster when there's an expansion draft.
Good point. Just using the 17 players currently on the roster for this year. . . which 8 would you protect right now?

Would probably protect -
Sexton
Beasley - TO (if kept)
Clarkson - PO (if kept)
Agbaji
Fontecchio
Markkanen
Vanderbilt
Kessler

Would leave unprotected -
Conley
Bolmaro
JB - RFA
THT - PO
Udoka
Gay - PO
Bogdanovic - expiring (if kept)
NAW - expiring
Johnson - expiring

Last edited:
Good point. Just using the 17 players currently on the roster for this year. . . which 8 would you protect right now?

Would probably protect -
Sexton
Beasley - TO (if kept)
Clarkson - PO (if kept)
Agbaji
Fontecchio
Markkanen
Vanderbilt
Kessler

Would leave unprotected -
Conley
Bolmaro
JB - RFA
THT - PO
Udoka
Gay - PO
Bogdanovic - expiring (if kept)
NAW - expiring
Johnson - expiring
I would protect Jarron Collins at all costs and leave whoever my last first round pick was unprotected.

Our team will be targeted for the expansion draft for sure. We are set to have a lot of young players with upside over the next few years.