What's new

Exum`s shooting is actually pretty good

Hedda Gambler

Enough with the Kanter arguments. It`s time for some serious positivity.

I`ve been looking at the current crop of PGs in the NBA and how they shot in their rookie seasons. I have obviously missed some minor names, but the list has 49 names on it and all the big ones should be there. I looked at their rookie seasons to see how well they shot ball, and out of these 49, Exum is no 18 at 47,1% EFG. Behind him are players such as Tony Parker, Mike Conley, Eric Bledsoe, Chris Paul, Goran Dragic, Jose Calderon, John Wall, Jeff Teague, Rajon Rondo, Kemba Walker and Kyle Lowry - who actually was shooting at a rate far lower than Trey Burke was in his rookie season.

Dante Exum is not a great a shooter, but he is a smart kid. In his rookie season in the NBA, he`s taking 80% of his shots either from the restricted area of from 3. That`s insanely efficient and makes up for his mediocre to bad shooting. In the restricted area, he`s actually made 75,6% of his shots, which is just godly.

The sample sizes are not big here, but remember that we are comparing to other PGs in their rookie seasons. Dante has a long way to go, but his smartness when it comes to where to take the shots from could carry him as an offensive threat until he develops other aspects of his game.

Dante has never played at this level before and was never a part of the US basketball system. I wonder if this actually could be a very good thing for both him and us? Quin Snyder wants his players to take 3s and to move the ball. With Dante, he has a very fresh player that has never been the star of a high school or college team and developed bad habits/ego from this.

Only 15 points and 5 assists with 5 3-pointers on 50% shooting from 3 in his second start as a 19 year old.
-
All is lost.

Enough with the Kanter arguments. It`s time for some serious positivity.

I`ve been looking at the current crop of PGs in the NBA and how they shot in their rookie seasons. I have obviously missed some minor names, but the list has 49 names on it and all the big ones should be there. I looked at their rookie seasons to see how well they shot ball, and out of these 49, Exum is no 18 at 47,1% EFG. Behind him are players such as Tony Parker, Mike Conley, Eric Bledsoe, Chris Paul, Goran Dragic, Jose Calderon, John Wall, Jeff Teague, Rajon Rondo, Kemba Walker and Kyle Lowry - who actually was shooting at a rate far lower than Trey Burke was in his rookie season.

Dante Exum is not a great a shooter, but he is a smart kid. In his rookie season in the NBA, he`s taking 80% of his shots either from the restricted area of from 3. That`s insanely efficient and makes up for his mediocre to bad shooting. In the restricted area, he`s actually made 75,6% of his shots, which is just godly.

The sample sizes are not big here, but remember that we are comparing to other PGs in their rookie seasons. Dante has a long way to go, but his smartness when it comes to where to take the shots from could carry him as an offensive threat until he develops other aspects of his game.

Dante has never played at this level before and was never a part of the US basketball system. I wonder if this actually could be a very good thing for both him and us? Quin Snyder wants his players to take 3s and to move the ball. With Dante, he has a very fresh player that has never been the star of a high school or college team and developed bad habits/ego from this.

Thanks for sharing. I was thinking about how dante never takes mid range shots today, and how awesome it would be if he could have an offensive effect similar to harden one day. Looks like he is trending that way with shot selection.

Before the season started I am on the record here saying that if he shoots 40/30 I'd be happy with that... and I am... the shooting is the last thing that I'm worried about with Exum...

I am begging to be really content with his development as of late. In his last 3 games he's been as aggressive as we've sen him, today he went to rim a couple of times and even though he missed them both it was good to see... He's been probing the defenses more, he's been driving and dishing, he's been taking chances... I love that Exum and if he keeps trying to create offense this season I'd be happy no matter the results... All I want to see from him really is him trying to improve and trying to learn from his mistakes(and for that he needs to make mistakes)...

At only 19 years old with no big time basketball experience like that of the NBA, this kid is special. He needs to gain some confidence and take risks to show that killer instinct, but I really think he will be a special player.

Before the season started I am on the record here saying that if he shoots 40/30 I'd be happy with that... and I am... the shooting is the last thing that I'm worried about with Exum...

I am begging to be really content with his development as of late. In his last 3 games he's been as aggressive as we've sen him, today he went to rim a couple of times and even though he missed them both it was good to see... He's been probing the defenses more, he's been driving and dishing, he's been taking chances... I love that Exum and if he keeps trying to create offense this season I'd be happy no matter the results... All I want to see from him really is him trying to improve and trying to learn from his mistakes(and for that he needs to make mistakes)...

No need to beg, my friend, I grant you content.

You noticed that too? So did I. He was so quick and he was so wide open I think he surprised even himself and rushed those floaters.

All the tools are there folks - he just need TIME.

I don't care about Exum's FG%. What I'm looking for right now is his ability to get quality shots. Just about every time he drives into the paint he gets a clear look at the basket that he either (usually) misses or tries to alley-oop/pass off - but the important thing is the shots are there for this kid.

Those shots will start falling with regularity in a year or two.

spurs-shooting-a-3.jpg

A big problem for Exum is that he really likes going baseline and NBA defenses usually are prepared to rotate there and deny the middle. But he's not crafty enough to finish high, so he turns it over a lot, trying to find a good passing option.

Driving middle, his handle isn't good enough to keep it alive and when he does get through, absorb the contact.

NBA.com has this feature, where you can see all of Exum's shots over the season.

Did a little bit of that yesterday evening.
Almost none of his close attempts are within half court offense.

His turnovers are also telling. A lot of miscommunication in side to side offense initiation and drives that end uncontrolled when he realized he doesn't have an opening.

The thing I hoped he'd have is the ability to finish off his right foot. And he can't do this yet and this makes him predictable and slow in the lane and gives help defender time to bother his shots.

To my eyes, his 3 point shot looks really really good. He squares up really well and has a nice release. I don't remember him missing any really badly either. Great stuff for a 19 years old, seems like the guards that young always have a tough time with the 3 ball.

The funny thing is that Marcus Smart, who as Exum was supposed to be a bad shooter, is actually even more efficient. He more or less shoots from the same spots as Dante does and has an EFG of 50%, placing him at 10th on the overall list of current NBA players in their rookie seasons. Both these young guys have a chance to become really good defenders and when they learn how to drive, they have the chance to be great two way players when they combine this with their smart decision making.

Love his 3 pt. shooting, but it's his court vision, movement and ability to find the open man that have me really excited. The second coming of Stockton is drawing nigh.