What's new

Exum`s shooting is actually pretty good

You noticed that too? So did I. He was so quick and he was so wide open I think he surprised even himself and rushed those floaters.

All the tools are there folks - he just need TIME.
Time and Gordon Hayward's workout plan. Add some muscle and better explosion to that skinny frame and he could develop into a feared opponent that guys fear having to go up against. His skills (as raw as they are) are still more developed than his body. The physical improvements to Kanter, Gobert and Hayward over the past two seasons has me really, really excited about his potential. The Jazz players have been pretty impressive in that area lately.

The funny thing is that Marcus Smart, who as Exum was supposed to be a bad shooter, is actually even more efficient. He more or less shoots from the same spots as Dante does and has an EFG of 50%, placing him at 10th on the overall list of current NBA players in their rookie seasons. Both these young guys have a chance to become really good defenders and when they learn how to drive, they have the chance to be great two way players when they combine this with their smart decision making.

I honestly think that this is a direct result of both players having really good, smart, analytical coaches who are focused on young player development at this juncture. I've been impressed with both Stevens and Snyder and think that both guys will be highly considered when their young players start showing up down the road.

His shooting and defense has been better than I expected.

His aggression and ball handling has been worse than I expected.

I sorta expected a leondro barbosa like player on offense. A "lightning in a bottle" type of player who would come in for a few mins and blow past people for a few easy buckets. I figured that we could throw him out there and disrupt some people on defense with his length and athleticism.

Instead, his set 3 pt shot is pretty decent. I think he tries to play under control/passive at times.

I still haven't seen enough of him yet to judge him. If he continues to start im sure in a few months I'll have a better idea of Exum.

The guy I question is Hood. Is his body breaking down already? Can he handle the 82 game season without blowing a tire every few games?

His shooting and defense has been better than I expected.

His aggression and ball handling has been worse than I expected.

I sorta expected a leondro barbosa like player on offense. A "lightning in a bottle" type of player who would come in for a few mins and blow past people for a few easy buckets. I figured that we could throw him out there and disrupt some people on defense with his length and athleticism.

Instead, his set 3 pt shot is pretty decent. I think he tries to play under control/passive at times.

I still haven't seen enough of him yet to judge him. If he continues to start im sure in a few months I'll have a better idea of Exum.

The ball handling is the thing that I think is holding him back the most right now, even above the need to gain more strength (which will come with time.) He clearly has difficulty dribbling with his left hand, especially when under pressure. I'm not that concerned, only because there's a number of NBA greats who had ball handling issues when they were Exum's age (if you look at old drafting reports, it was a major knock on Jordan at 19 years old) and we've also seen Hayward vastly improve his handles over the past few years.

But that's clearly got to be a priority area of development for him.

McDaniels mom is nuts. But could you imagine KJ and Rudy on the court at the same time? Damn!
That's who I was hoping the Jazz would draft with the GS pick. Exum, Hayward, McDaniels, Favors and Gobert could be the best defensive line up in the NBA in a couple of years. Too bad.

That's who I was hoping the Jazz would draft with the GS pick. Exum, Hayward, McDaniels, Favors and Gobert could be the best defensive line up in the NBA in a couple of years. Too bad.

Me too, but I didn't expect Hood to drop to #23. If he gets healthy and his shot goes back to what it was in college, I still think he's the BPA at that spot. With that said, I'd have hit the phones to trade up with the Jazz 2nd round pick to get McDaniels just for his perimeter defense. Hated how they stood pat and traded the pick away.

The thing that excites me is that Exum is on 19 years old! If he works hard can you imagine this guy at 25? He's going to be killing people!

Me too, but I didn't expect Hood to drop to #23. If he gets healthy and his shot goes back to what it was in college, I still think he's the BPA at that spot. With that said, I'd have hit the phones to trade up with the Jazz 2nd round pick to get McDaniels just for his perimeter defense. Hated how they stood pat and traded the pick away.
Yep. Who knows, maybe the Jazz can pick him up for cheap in the offseason. He is restricted but I'm doubtful that the 76ers will match anything decent.

The guy I question is Hood. Is his body breaking down already? Can he handle the 82 game season without blowing a tire every few games?

That planter fascist is bad news, chronic issue. They should just make getting that resolved once and for all the only thing for him to work on right now. Whatever it takes, even if he does not touch a b-ball for however long it takes.

Simmons back to taking jabs at Exum on his latest grantland piece:

Dante Exum: Let’s just say that I haven’t asked anyone, “Have you seen the Australian Kobe yet?” lately. The good news: He’s only 19. The bad news: Poor Dante didn’t just hit the rookie wall, he crashed into it at 85 mph and had to be airlifted away from the accident. We have an international basketball junkie and irrational Exum fan working at Grantland named Danny Chau. His latest Exum stance: “Very unhappy with his development, but I will die on this hill.” He’s like Dido in the “White Flag” video.

Dante Exum: Let’s just say that I haven’t asked anyone, “Have you seen the Australian Kobe yet?” lately. The good news: He’s only 19. The bad news: Poor Dante didn’t just hit the rookie wall, he crashed into it at 85 mph and had to be airlifted away from the accident. We have an international basketball junkie and irrational Exum fan working at Grantland named Danny Chau. His latest Exum stance: “Very unhappy with his development, but I will die on this hill.” He’s like Dido in the “White Flag” video.
Simmons is right. As always.

... In his last 3 games he's been as aggressive as we've sen him, today he went to rim a couple of times and even though he missed them both it was good to see... He's been probing the defenses more, he's been driving and dishing, he's been taking chances... I love that Exum and if he keeps trying to create offense this season I'd be happy no matter the results... All I want to see from him really is him trying to improve and trying to learn from his mistakes(and for that he needs to make mistakes)...

He agrees:

"I thought I played decent basketball," Exum said. "I made some open shots, and I think I played well defensively. The next step for me is to get to the basket more and finish at the rim."

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2090011-155/story.html

Don't see where he has "hit a wall". He is playing about the same as he has all year, very timid with some flashes of brilliance. Did I miss some early games where he was putting up 20/10?

Simmons will put Rudy in his top 5 trade value guys cuz he knows his shet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk