What's new

Exum's value to the Jazz (and perhaps around the league) has increased this season (without playing)

Exum's value has increased despite being injured?

• Yes

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Exum never had and never will have any significant value

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I'm sick of Dante homers (Naos, Numberica et al)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Et tu Brute

Reasons to vote YES...
  1. Hood demonstrating he is a high volume streaky wing (no real progression to his game)
  2. Rubio sucking (at least within this system)
  3. Neto injury
  4. The tiny (but positive) sample size of DMX in summer league and preseason
  5. Jazz being buried below .500
  6. Jazz being basically .500 even with Gobert
  7. Likely parting of ways with multiple rotational players
  8. Lyles (not sure if his progress can in any way indicate possible success for another DL draft choice)
  9. Poor perimeter defense
  10. The need to find a 3rd wheel for Mitchell and Gobert
I say YES. I think he is now worth an 8 figure investment per year.

Thoughts?

I vote no.
I also think his value was at its highest on the day he was drafted. Still think he COULD be pretty good in the future but i wouldn't bet on it.

I misread the question. I thought it included around the league. I think his value has slightly risen with the Jazz but that is it. I think it has risen due to his SL play and chemistry with Mitchell and the disappointing play of Rubio.

I vote no.
I also think his value was at its highest on the day he was drafted. Still think he COULD be pretty good in the future but i wouldn't bet on it.

Yea I probably didn't word it clearly enough. I meant to say that his value is higher now than it was at the end of last season.

Agreed that his zenith was probably draft day.

I misread the question. I thought it included around the league. I think his value has slightly risen with the Jazz but that is it. I think it has risen due to his SL play and chemistry with Mitchell and the disappointing play of Rubio.

Yep I probably left that open ended.
I guess people can infer what they think from it. If his value with the Jazz has increased, then his value has increased. Sure it doesn't qualify how much, but I guess I am just seeing the ironic situation of where a guys value (at least to his own team) goes up while he doesn't play (and in Exum's case having never proven much prior to his injury).

I mean, it's about the same I guess.

Do you think the FO decisions on Hood and Dante are mutually exclusive...
Part of me wonders whether the play of Hood might make them firm up on a figure they are willing to pay (say maybe 15 mill per?) and if this is less than previously accounted for, does it mean a few extra bob to retain Exum if he manages to get an 8 figure offer?

Or are they entirely different FO propositions so one does not effect the other..?

Do you think the FO decisions on Hood and Dante are mutually exclusive...
Part of me wonders whether the play of Hood might make them firm up on a figure they are willing to pay (say maybe 15 mill per?) and if this is less than previously accounted for, does it mean a few extra bob to retain Exum if he manages to get an 8 figure offer?

Or are they entirely different FO propositions so one does not effect the other..?
No one is that firm on RFA. You think they arent going to match a 17 per offer? The difference of 2 million a year isn't major. I think the Jazz only start flinching at 20.

I still think Exum takes the QO tbh.

Exum is more valuable to the Jazz than anyone else. I also don't see him getting a huge offer. Exum's only value in a trade is as a sweetener, like a second round pick, but never being targeted to get him specifically.

Exum is more valuable to the Jazz than anyone else. I also don't see him getting a huge offer. Exum's only value in a trade is as a sweetener, like a second round pick, but never being targeted to get him specifically.

This is logical.
I just can't see past my own homerism with Exum I guess.

I mean if I were the Clippers, Spurs, Knicks, Orlando, Suns, Atlanta, Nets, Pistons inter ali - I would be intrigued by Exum. Of course, I am assuming scouts would see the potential that I do and not simply look at PER and box scores to rate him.

This is logical.
I just can't see past my own homerism with Exum I guess.

I mean if I were the Clippers, Spurs, Knicks, Orlando, Suns, Atlanta, Nets, Pistons inter ali - I would be intrigued by Exum. Of course, I am assuming scouts would see the potential that I do and not simply look at PER and box scores to rate him.
I would be intrigued by him too because I would see him as someone who I could get for very cheap that would be very low risk with possibility of good reward. Of course, the Jazz wouldn’t part with him for scrap, but that would be the assumption of everyone else. Think of a very poor man’s Jahlil Okafor.

Reportedly (by Tony Jones Twitter) the Jazz are intrigued by an Exum/Mitchell backcourt. They are still very high on Exum and looking forward to getting him back. Take that for what you will. It was reported within the last couple weeks by Jones. If the Jazz are really smart I think they'll offer Dante enough that he'll sign for 3 or 4 years and then reap the benefits of having a good player on a good to great contract. There's always the risk of injury, but anyone can get landed on awkwardly and get injured, so I don't think that should really play into the decision. if Exum signs a QO then I don't see the reason the Jazz give him any PT or more development so he can go somewhere else after next year. The Jazz tend to make mistakes by not gaining maximum leverage. I'd prefer not to do that again with Ex.

Reportedly (by Tony Jones Twitter) the Jazz are intrigued by an Exum/Mitchell backcourt. They are still very high on Exum and looking forward to getting him back. Take that for what you will. It was reported within the last couple weeks by Jones. If the Jazz are really smart I think they'll offer Dante enough that he'll sign for 3 or 4 years and then reap the benefits of having a good player on a good to great contract. There's always the risk of injury, but anyone can get landed on awkwardly and get injured, so I don't think that should really play into the decision. if Exum signs a QO then I don't see the reason the Jazz give him any PT or more development so he can go somewhere else after next year. The Jazz tend to make mistakes by not gaining maximum leverage. I'd prefer not to do that again with Ex.
Just cuz a guy takes a QO doesnt mean he has no interest of staying.

Exum was the 5th overall. He has already made a lot of money in the NBA (13 million). It would be different if we were talking about the 20th pick. I think he wants minutes. If he signs a 4 year deal w/ Utah, there's always a chance Utah never makes him the starter. I'm sure they want him to be the starter, but the Jazz don't know if that's the case. Exum taking the QO and playing a year just let's him reassess the situation in Utah and his interest around the league.

I kinda think the Jazz would rather him take a multi-year for a few million over the QO (like 9-10 mil?) instead of the QO...

I kinda think the Jazz would rather him take a multi-year for a few million over the QO (like 9-10 mil?) instead of the QO...
If X wants the QO, it's his choice to sign. Utah can either offer it and keep him for a year, or decline it and lose him.

If X wants the QO, it's his choice to sign. Utah can either offer it and keep him for a year, or decline it and lose him.

Yes of course, I mean Utah is going to offer the QO. What I'm saying is that I think the Jazz would extend a 9-10 million 4-year deal as that would be preferable to the QO

Yes of course, I mean Utah is going to offer the QO. What I'm saying is that I think the Jazz would extend a 9-10 million 4-year deal as that would be preferable to the QO
Yeah, I don't know if it would. Exum has already made a good deal of money, so he can take the risk and bet on himself.

If Exum were so keen on taking that deal, then why hasnt an extension been signed yet?

Yeah, I don't know if it would. Exum has already made a good deal of money, so he can take the risk and bet on himself.

If Exum were so keen on taking that deal, then why hasnt an extension been signed yet?

Good point, but I don't necessarily think that is because he wouldn't take that deal but the smart choice would be to test the RFA market.

Somebody with his injury history would be a moron to sign the QO if a fair multi year offer was on the table. Likely he just does a 3 plus player option.

Just cuz a guy takes a QO doesnt mean he has no interest of staying.

Exum was the 5th overall. He has already made a lot of money in the NBA (13 million). It would be different if we were talking about the 20th pick. I think he wants minutes. If he signs a 4 year deal w/ Utah, there's always a chance Utah never makes him the starter. I'm sure they want him to be the starter, but the Jazz don't know if that's the case. Exum taking the QO and playing a year just let's him reassess the situation in Utah and his interest around the league.

I don't think the Jazz will want to give up control like that, though. I don't think it makes sense to let him play a bunch of minutes and up his value only to see him likely leave for a different market. Sure the QO idea is good for Exum's agent in theory, but it is bad for Exum on the Jazz. I don't think Exum is committed to staying in Utah at this point. If anything he's probably felt a little bit screwed by what happened last year rightly or wrongly. I think a QO pretty much guarantees he'll be gone after next season.

The reality is that the Jazz PG position is as open as any in the league. Rubio has been horrific and doesn't fit very well. Exum knows the system and has good chemistry with Mitchell and Gobert. It would be easy to clear the decks for Exum, while bringing in a solid backup who fits the system as insurance. Hell, Mitchell can just play "PG" anyway if needed. I'm just trying to think of the future here. Signing assets to 1 year deals is a great way to keep losing them. But it all depends on what they really think about him. IF you believe the report then I think it makes sense to take a small risk to ensure he stays here more than a year. Unfortunately they have to make a big decision soon. It would be nice to have another year of evaluation, but you have to work within the framework of reality.

Edit: And I understand that Ex can sign the QO. I just think that offering him a good chunk of money (I think about 10m/per would do it) could convince him.

Last edited: