What's new

Favors & Kanter the Future.....NOT THE PRESENT

Twin Towers

Ty Corbin needs to realize that we cannot be playing Favors and Kanter together. They don't understand the little things on offense and defense. Too much confusion on the court.

Millsap and Jefferson should not be starting. Neither of them box out. Corbin did not even give Favors a chance to fully play with Jefferson. Favors and Kanter Box out. But rotations on defense and running plays on offense haven't worked very well.

Ty Corbin needs to realize that we cannot be playing Favors and Kanter together. They don't understand the little things on offense and defense. Too much confusion on the court.

Millsap and Jefferson should not be starting. Neither of them box out. Corbin did not even give Favors a chance to fully play with Jefferson. Favors and Kanter Box out. But rotations on defense and running plays on offense haven't worked very well.

If Big Al and Millsap are not starting that means Favors and Kanter are. Which means they are playing together...

I think Ty should go with: Favors & Millsap (start) and Jefferson & Kanter (sub)

Nice mix of height/quickness and offense/defense IMO.

kanter + jefferson would be ultra-slow and unathletic. but the big man rotation is the smallest issue right now, all of them are playing fine. kanter could take more midrange shots but thats about it.

I don't mind Favors and Kanter playing together. They will probably be our front court in the future might as well let them learn to play together. My problem is Millsap and Jefferson together. They continue to be a bad combo. At least with the other 2 there is hope for improvement.

I think KOC and Greg need to sit down with Ty and say, "look, we're not going to fire you this year, no matter the record. So let's develop the lineup for our future, not go the Sloan route and play the vets hoping to win a couple more games...or lose by fewer points."

Just bite the bullet and do what OKC did. Yes, I know we don't have a Durant. But if Kanter, Favors, Hayward and Burks are the future, then those guys should all play at least 25 mins together, no matter the result on the floor.

I think KOC and Greg need to sit down with Ty and say, "look, we're not going to fire you this year, no matter the record. So let's develop the lineup for our future, not go the Sloan route and play the vets hoping to win a couple more games...or lose by fewer points."

Just bite the bullet and do what OKC did. Yes, I know we don't have a Durant. But if Kanter, Favors, Hayward and Burks are the future, then those guys should all play at least 25 mins together, no matter the result on the floor.
Take it one step further. If one of these players are not our future. It would be nice to know sooner rather than later.

Corbin needs to play match ups on the bigs. So if we are playing length then put in Jefferson and Favors. Speed Favors and Sap. Fatties Kanter and Jefferson. And if we need veteran scoring Jefferson and Millsap. Corbin is going to win based on his OWN record so he needs to Quit playing Sloan Jr.

The positions that he really needs to worry about is our wings Raja is past his prime. And he needs to start putting a little bite into the players that make mistakes. I know we are young and we are going to make young mistakes but he needs to pull them out and teach them at that moment. I saw plenty of mistakes that are going to keep happening because someone has to convey that giving up on defense is not expectable even if Deron was on the team you have to put expectations and hold players to them.

But if Kanter + Favors isn't as good as (Kanter or Favors) + (Jefferson or Millsap), then it sacrifices wins. Good for tanking; bad for revenues.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Even when I did two days ago.

The bigman rotation is not the problem right now, IMO. Inside and outside shooting woes of the Jazz come from the inffective picks, bad spacing on the floor, IMO. BigAl has struggled and not shown consistency in his shooting, but, he gets the ball where he wants, mostly. Other than that, big men got the ball generally way outside of painted area, which is a direct result of the bad execution in sacrificing bodies to set effective picks to get the cutting/running man to intended spot. Also, we are used to seeing Jazz get easy layups after the inside passes by bigmen to slasher and cutter wings. Neither Enes, nor others have been able to find the wings when they are slashing or battle to take advantage over their matchup by post ups.

I think once the picks, cuts and passes get more precise, both outside shooters will get better looks, and bigmen will get the ball where they are more effective. Players should get used to each other to get a feel for each other and to learn where are their favorite spots, weaknesses.

A big part... Probably the main part...

Of the concept of "rebuilding" is playing as if the future was the present.

What's funny is that the vets have been committing stupid mistakes that only the younger players are supposed to do...

In fact, the younger players have been compensating for the vets.

CJ's stupid foul? Offset by Hayward's shot.
Al Jefferson failing to rotate.... Even once.... Puts Favors in foul trouble since he actually tries to come over and help.
Raja Bell, Devin Harris, CJ, and Al failing to even put a hand on someone... Puts us down by double digits before we know it.
Raja Bell's shooting? Puts pressure on everyone else to have to score... While the defense doesn't even respect Raja's range anymore...
Al Jefferson has yet to pass this year. He could learn from Kanter, who doesn't think it's his role to shoot every time down the court. Kanter does other things, like box out, rebound, and attempt to stay in front of his man. Al could learn from that. There's more to basketball than just jogging down the floor, demanding the ball, and shooting your "big weezy" shot.
Burks actually runs the ball up the court and tries to set up his team. Harris? Walks the ball up the floor and shoots whenever he can.

Our lone win this season came despite the vets, not because of them.

We need to play the "vets" less. Maybe they can learn from the rookies and second year players not to commit foolish mistakes, actually rotate once in a while on defense, and actually you know, do this thing called a pass.

I think he's saying that nobody should start at the 5 and 4.
Maybe just start Ty Corbin and Gary Briggs instead?
Maybe Sloan will come out of retirement to play basketball again.

We won with Favors and Millsap, so that's a good place to start. Really though, it depends on who we're playing as to what the starting lineupand rotations should be.