What's new

Favors/Kanter vs Gasol/Randolph

zman1527

The Grizzlies made it to the WCF and have a chance to go all the way, notwithstanding losing yesterday. Not that they are a favorite, but they have a chance.

So I turned on the game yesterday and was struck by their line-up: Gasol, Randolph, and a bunch of average roll players. And Gasol/Randolph are not that great, not perenial All Stars. That got me thinking: could Favors and Kanter be as good a combo? I think they can. Maybe a bit weaker on offense, but better D and better rebounding. And Hayward looks better than any of their other players.

It sure looks possible, if the Jazz play things right with a better PG and a good HC, in a few years time the Jazz too could be knocking on the door.

The Grizzlies made it to the WCF and have a chance to go all the way, notwithstanding losing yesterday. Not that they are a favorite, but they have a chance.

So I turned on the game yesterday and was struck by their line-up: Gasol, Randolph, and a bunch of average roll players. And Gasol/Randolph are not that great, not perenial All Stars. That got me thinking: could Favors and Kanter be as good a combo? I think they can. Maybe a bit weaker on offense, but better D and better rebounding. And Hayward looks better than any of their other players.

It sure looks possible, if the Jazz play things right with a better PG and a good HC, in a few years time the Jazz too could be knocking on the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4xH85iDDIs

in my estimation Randolph is one of the most overrated players in the L. after the short amount of time i watched him play on the knicks, i could never ever root for him, ever, and id be really pissed if he was on the jazz, Al is better imo. Antione Walker status

so yeah Favors will be alot better than Randolph, Kanter can be as effective as Gasol, maybe more in several years but if we can get him to pass like gasol, we're set. Kanters a better shooter too.

in my estimation Randolph is one of the most overrated players in the L. after the short amount of time i watched him play on the knicks, i could never ever root for him, ever, and id be really pissed if he was on the jazz, Al is better imo. Antione Walker status

so yeah Favors will be alot better than Randolph, Kanter can be as effective as Gasol, maybe more in several years but if we can get him to pass like gasol, we're set. Kanters a better shooter too.

Yes to the passing part. That will be part of the equation as well. Both K and F need to work on this, passing from the high post like Gasol does.

Gasol is a perennial all star for sure. He is the best center in the game right now. If one of our guys can become Marc gasol light, I would be happy. And Randolph is dang good. He was a bit better a couple years ago, but he is currently better than any big on our team recently.

We can get there though. I like the makeup of their team. I think we just need a decent point guard. Mike Conley is no Chris Paul, but he looks better because of his team.

is that not one of the most horrific plays youve ever seen? this is back when my knicks forum hated me for suggesting we trade the whole team for 2nd round picks.

randolph isnt terrible but keep him away from my teams and im happy, i wouldent pay him ****.

it is worth noting though that Conley and Gasol are great players to facilitate a player like Randolph, me thinks the Jazz have a similar plan for Al...

Randolph before and after Memphis are completely different people and situations. If you still think he is the same guy from that ny team, you have not seen the grizzlies in the last few years.

Gasol is a perennial all star for sure. He is the best center in the game right now. If one of our guys can become Marc gasol light, I would be happy. And Randolph is dang good. He was a bit better a couple years ago, but he is currently better than any big on our team recently.

We can get there though. I like the makeup of their team. I think we just need a decent point guard. Mike Conley is no Chris Paul, but he looks better because of his team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DshYB2STVVQ is the best center imho. nets were knocked out of the playoffs featuring deron, instead of Brook. #badidea

Randolph before and after Memphis are completely different people and situations. If you still think he is the same guy from that ny team, you have not seen the grizzlies in the last few years.

i think if you put him on a team with no pg and a young center, he shoots 40% on tons of shots, very questionable shot selection, like antione walker. thats all im saying.

You guys apparently haven't been watching the playoffs.

Number one, Gasol is the best center in the league right now
Two, Randolph may just be the best offensive PF in the league right now
Three, Conley is greatly improved, and almost played CP3 to a draw in their series
Four, Allen and Prince are great role players
Five, Bayless is instant offense and one of the best 6th men in the league

You guys vastly underrate the Grizz; they also have one of the league's best coaches.

Don't count them out in this series, and if they beat the Spurs, I'd wager they'll beat the Heat because the Heat cannot match up with their bigs.

i think if you put him on a team with no pg and a young center, he shoots 40% on tons of shots, very questionable shot selection, like antione walker. thats all im saying.

Just because he looks like Antoine walker, does not mean he plays like him. Walker is a career 41% shooter, Randolph has shot 47% for his career, and never below like 43.9 in any season. Very, very different players. Randolph had a couple of undiciplined stints, but was always a good player. Walker sucked.

If we ever have better defense than Memphis did this year, we will be great. Marc gasol won defensive player of the year. To say that either of our bigs will be better than he is defensively is a stretch. Hopefully they can get there, but gasol and z Bo are the best front court in the league right now.

If we ever have better defense than Memphis did this year, we will be great. Marc gasol won defensive player of the year. To say that either of our bigs will be better than he is defensively is a stretch. Hopefully they can get there, but gasol and z Bo are the best front court in the league right now.

Marc Gasol was a thowin in the Pau Gasol to the Lakers deal. Their coaching staff has gotten a lot of miles out of these guys. Mike Conley was being peddled last year and no one particularly wanted him. Last year the Griz had Josh Davis a perennial DLeaguer on their roster for awhile and he was playing serious minutes. Kudos to their coaching staff for making it work.

The biggest difference in my mind (besides that Kanter and Favors have proven nothing), is that Favors puts very little pressure on an opposing defense which opens up the Jazz to be on the wrong end of small-ball. In fact, this (and that Favors can't shoot well enough to give Kanter space) is something that is starting to concern me quite a bit.

Favors' two things he REALLY needs to do is make his post game just good enough to punish small-ball 4s and can a spot up jumper on the outer corners of the key. Not just for himself, but mostly for the team.

The biggest difference in my mind (besides that Kanter and Favors have proven nothing), is that Favors puts very little pressure on an opposing defense which opens up the Jazz to be on the wrong end of small-ball. In fact, this (and that Favors can't shoot well enough to give Kanter space) is something that is starting to concern me quite a bit.

Favors' two things he REALLY needs to do is make his post game just good enough to punish small-ball 4s and can a spot up jumper on the outer corners of the key. Not just for himself, but mostly for the team.

I agree with this, but I question whether some of it is what he has been told to do by the coaching staff. I think he has a passable jumper from inside 15 feet, and I think his post game will get there if put in the right situations/plays.

Wow. I did not know that. When I think of Gasol, I generally don't think of defense. Interesting.

But to answer the thread question, yes, I think Favors/Kanter can be better than Gasol/Randolph. I still say they will be better defensively, but maybe not quite as good offensively. However, If Kanter truly adds a consistent 3 point shot to his game...watch out.

so you guys would prefer the jazz had Zbo over Favors? hes the best right?

zach randolph is the leading scorer on the griz, he was held to 2 points in game 1 of the WCF, and he wasent injured. great player, i say we trade the farm for him, hes the model of a consistent NBA vet that these young kids need to look up to...

we have derrick favors and you guys are singing the praises of chubby, 6'7", 31 year old, despondent Zach Randolph, who complains and whines all game long.

Al/Gasol is better than Zbo/Gasol... clearly

Wow. I did not know that. When I think of Gasol, I generally don't think of defense. Interesting.

But to answer the thread question, yes, I think Favors/Kanter can be better than Gasol/Randolph. I still say they will be better defensively, but maybe not quite as good offensively. However, If Kanter truly adds a consistent 3 point shot to his game...watch out.

I don't think he even needs a three point shot, just a consistent jumper from about 15 feet would be great. I think we give up rebounding when our center steps outside the three point line. I guess it would give Favors more room to work on his post game though.

Marc Gasol was a thowin in the Pau Gasol to the Lakers deal.

What do you mean by throw-in? Lakers were trading for today, Memphis was trading for tomorrow (2 firsts, Marc). Lakers won in the short term, clearly Memphis is greatly benefitting today. Whose roster and salary situation would you prefer to have today: Lakers or Grizzlies?