What's new

Favors returns!

There are only 28 players in the entire NBA who meet Favors VORP, PER, and WS/48. Anyone who thinks this is an overpay and nobody with cap room and the right situation wouldn't offer him this much is insane. Everyone who thinks $4/40 would have ever been slapped across Favors' face by DL has had a frontal lobotamy.

I think there is one player on that list making less - Kemba. The rest are making more and on long term deals for the most part. Favors at 16/1 is highway robbery.

He was an overpay. Lets call a spade a spade. Cousins signed for 5m. Ed Davis, who does most of what Favors does, signed for 4m. Noel like 2m a year. That said Favors is zero drama, hard worker, and was on a bargain contract for the last 4 years so not going to spazz over a likely 1 year deal.

I'm astounded at how underrated Favors is, even to people who watch him every night.

Great deal. I'm good with running it back for a season as it allows for additional time for the team to gel, guys to develop, DL to further assess the roster/league, players to become available, etc.

No need to force a move for that 3rd piece as our window should presumably be open for the next 6-8 years, especially with the current state of the WC. The best part of this signing is that DL has the option of running it back again next year, as well as the necessary flexibility to still make that move if it presents itself.

Favors had 20/16 on the road in a playoff game THIS year. Or how about 17/11 in a game 7 on the road last year?

But yeah he's like Ed freaking Davis. Give me a break.

I’m happy to have favors back and I think he is a good player, good guy, and I’m a fan of his.

Having said that, if a starter who gets good minutes plays in 23 or so playoff games (11 last year and 12 this year?) then it should be expected that they have a couple good games imo.

I’m happy to have favors back and I think he is a good player, good guy, and I’m a fan of his.

Having said that, if a starter who gets good minutes plays in 23 or so playoff games (11 last year and 12 this year?) then it should be expected that they have a couple good games imo.

So do we think Favors will improve at this point? What can he do to improve? Besides adding a 3-pt shot...

So do we think Favors will improve at this point? What can he do to improve? Besides adding a 3-pt shot...
lol. make a FT... or get his mid range game back... or get better in the post... finish better...

Where cant he improve is the real question.

This is a positive imo because all these things are within his control. Yall need to get off that Favors 3 ball dream too. #ainthappening

lol. make a FT... or get his mid range game back... or get better in the post... finish better...

This is a positive imo because all these things are within his control. Yall need to get off that Favors 3 ball dream too. #ainthappening

I agree on the three, but hey, we can dream. He's still practicing them...

He finishes pretty damn well already, doesn't he? Isn't is FG% nearly the best in the league?

His mid-range wasn't too consistent at times so that could improve.

Do we utilize him offensively enough?

Offensive rebounding? When he was out of shape he couldn't go for the ORB and get back because he didn't have the stamina, but now he's fit.

What will he work on most this summer?

Get to 45% from 5-19 feet, up from 40%, finish better one 2+ dribble drives. He's just okay when he has to put the ball on the floor, and he doesn't do it much (5.9%) of the time.

Honestly though, Favors could have worked on little other than 3 point shooting this offseason yo improve his game significantly.

He has already greatly improved his 3 and had been working hard on it. I think it will be passable from the corner this year. His longer 2s have been okay for a few years. There is no reason to doubt he can't take it a few steps out. Plus he hit it at times this season.

Well yeah... Guy compared him to Ed Davis which is what I was responding to...

There are only 28 players in the entire NBA who meet Favors VORP, PER, and WS/48. Anyone who thinks this is an overpay and nobody with cap room and the right situation wouldn't offer him this much is insane. Everyone who thinks $4/40 would have ever been slapped across Favors' face by DL has had a frontal lobotamy.

I think there is one player on that list making less - Kemba. The rest are making more and on long term deals for the most part. Favors at 16/1 is highway robbery.
Its an overpay. No one else was giving him a yearly figure approaching this. I'm not even sure anyone was giving him a 2 year figure approaching this.

It just doesn't matter though because paying him 10 million a year vs 16-18 doesn't actually change much of anything for the Jazz's off season operations.

Its an overpay. No one else was giving him a yearly figure approaching this. I'm not even sure anyone was giving him a 2 year figure approaching this.

It just doesn't matter though because paying him 10 million a year vs 16-18 doesn't actually change much of anything for the Jazz's off season operations.

This is what I have tried to explain to people. It really doesn’t matter at all how much we paid him because of the TO next year. Most of us wanted a 1-year deal overpay or a 3-4 year deal that was a slight underpay. We got the 1-year deal and should be extremely happy about it.

I agree on the three, but hey, we can dream. He's still practicing them...

He finishes pretty damn well already, doesn't he? Isn't is FG% nearly the best in the league?

His mid-range wasn't too consistent at times so that could improve.

Do we utilize him offensively enough?

Offensive rebounding? When he was out of shape he couldn't go for the ORB and get back because he didn't have the stamina, but now he's fit.

What will he work on most this summer?

He finishes "ok". I actually think he gets the most no calls in the league at the rim. Seems like he is always getting hacked...

I think we could utilize him more, especially when he is playing Center with the 2nd unit, too often last year Dante was on the floor with Udoh. Dante and Favs have always had good chemistry and Id like to see them in the pick n roll more (if X comes back). Ingles and Favs was also a great combo for us last year, won us multiple close games last season.

Hopefully his body, I think he needs to trim down a little tbh, not that he is out of shape I just think the way the league is going he would be better dropping back to his natural body weight. FT shooting is the other big one, Favs is a huge confidence guy and constantly missing FTs has an effect on him.

He has already greatly improved his 3 and had been working hard on it. I think it will be passable from the corner this year. His longer 2s have been okay for a few years. There is no reason to doubt he can't take it a few steps out. Plus he hit it at times this season.

Nah hes pretty bad.

When projecting 3FG% I generally believe your 3pt% = 0.5 x FT%(roughly) on open catch and shoots or your spot behind the perimeter. Its also why I believe Rubio and Dante can both shoot 40% on those same looks.

Nah hes pretty bad.

When projecting 3FG% I generally believe your 3pt% = 0.5 x FT%(roughly) on open catch and shoots or your spot behind the perimeter. Its also why I believe Rubio and Dante can both shoot 40% on those same looks.
Those are different shots and while they correlate with some players that don't correlate with others. Millsap didn't start shooting 3s until later, he wasn't a good ft shooter. But he started hitting his mid range 2s and then pushed out his distance. Just like favors has been doing. That's why Snyder thinks he can become a decent 3 point shooter.

Wouldn't it be better to correlate a long 2 jump shot with a 3 point jump shot. Since the mechanics are the same it's just an extra couple feet? Plus the side 3 point range is similar just a different angle. He hit a career high 39% from over 16 feet 2 point jumpers.

This was the first season he attempted 3s. He will get better. Will get be a great 3 point shooter? Probably not. But he can get a passable 3 point shot especially from the corner where Snyder wants.

Those are different shots and while they correlate with some players that don't correlate with others. Millsap didn't start shooting 3s until later, he wasn't a good ft shooter. But he started hitting his mid range 2s and then pushed out his distance. Just like favors has been doing. That's why Snyder thinks he can become a decent 3 point shooter.

Wouldn't it be better to correlate a long 2 jump shot with a 3 point jump shot. Since the mechanics are the same it's just an extra couple feet? Plus the side 3 point range is similar just a different angle. He hit a career high 39% from over 16 feet 2 point jumpers.

This was the first season he attempted 3s. He will get better. Will get be a great 3 point shooter? Probably not. But he can get a passable 3 point shot especially from the corner where Snyder wants.

no to all this.

Hes a terrible FT shooter.

Capture3.PNG

Millsap is a great FT shooter. 75% FT equates to 37.5% 3FG%. Which Im sure he is very close to on open looks.