What's new

Game Thread Feb 06, 2024 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Thunder

Added to Calendar: 02-06-24

Garbage time Keyonte has showed up during the real parts of the game and it’s glorious. Hopefully he made a strong case to move JC and not bring in Dejounte.

KO also had a good game in his OKC audition.
Collins had a great game in his OKC audition too lol.

I wonder what OKC's FO is thinking after watching Lauri in this game, what they could do if they had a weapon like him to add to SGA and the rest of the team.

Lol this is a great team. We had to play out of our minds to beat them. We got our first lead just tonight in all the games with OKC this year

I think they have about 2 players old enough to get a drink and maybe 5 who look like they're able to grow chest hair. They will fold in the playoffs like you wouldn't believe.

Great win

Clarkson 3% update: Over the last 8 games Clarkson is shooting 12% (TWELVE) from the 3.

EDIT: Kris Dunn with a team high +18

Last edited:
I do hope Kris Dunn doesn't get traded (JC and KO the probable two? If that happens may miss those two in playins - hopefully in playoffs) - a strong performance. Keyonte had a good game again - strong in clutch also as somebody pointed out after the previous game - Holmgren was strong in 3rd but invisible in 4th... Keyonte may make the possibility of losing JC slightly less painful (as do JCs turnovers tonight)... as did Collins (when there isn't a true big man challenge it seems to be easier for him to deliver). Samanic doesn't look too good out there yet, but I wouldn't give up on him yet (Fontecchio took his time to show NBA potential also - although he didn't have his best game tonight either - still pretty solid in defense rotations). Markkanen was Markkanen again (especially when it mattered).

Great win

Clarkson 3% update: Over the last 8 games Clarkson is shooting 12% (TWELVE) from the 3.

EDIT: Kris Dunn with a team high +18
Last year he was also miserable before the trade deadline and then after Conley got traded he was ‘lost’for several games. Players don’t really like getting traded. Moving families is such a chore.

Ok that was like a return to the type of basketball we played during our best stretch of the season. Just in sync team basketball where we give up some looks on defense but despite OKC hitting them at a ridiculous clip we didnt cave in and go rogue.
  • I gotta be happy for the two guards I have put so much faith in. Key and Dunn were the real decisive factor, Keyonte on offense and Dunn on defense. That was the best preseason pair in my eyeball test and FINALLY we get to see them close a game without other guards on the court and it was gorgeous.
  • Kessler and Collins were both good and at the time when Collins was subbed out he actually had a better BPM number, but I'm happy Hardy went with Kessler. Locking down the paint disallowed one half of OKC's offense and guys like Giddey and Jalen who really want to drive didnt get to do that at all. Getting them to be spot up shooters was the best strategy, despite OKC shooting like a team full of Kyle Korvers.
  • Lauri took some tough looks but MAN was he feeling it. He just couldnt be denied anywhere he got the ball.
  • Collins is starting to get much more smooth on the perimeter when we are setting up our offense. Quick touches and handoffs to get the defense off balance and allow the ballhandler to scan the court while clearing space on the weak side.
  • The one real negative for us was how we defended the 2-man game of SGA and Chet. I mean they both were hot from distance and for some reason Hardy wanted Lauri to constantly drop Chet do double SGA which wasnt working at any point.
  • However, even though Kris did a great job 1on1 against SGA our zone was still much better than our man defense, and even though SGA went to right wing constantly to get George to guard him he didnt really feast against Key either.
As much as I like Sexton and as great as he has played, Key and Dunn should be the "default duo" if they are in the groove. The offense/defense balance is just way better with Dunn in the game, and while Key isnt better than Sexton, he runs the offense better for others as long as the other guard is not hogging the ball (and Dunn doesnt). Sexton is a great guy to insert if we need a major offensive run as he has that capacity, but if its a close game I'd default to Dunn and George assuming neither is having a bad day at the office.

Wow, what a great game, that was impressive. Lauri was making some tough shots. That zone in the 4th really threw them off. Keyonte looked great. Really good stuff.