What's new

Game Thread Feb 10, 2023 05:30PM MT: Jazz at Raptors

Added to Calendar: 02-10-23

I was at the game as one of the only Toronto jazzfanz representation. My friends are knowledgeable NBA fans and all admitted that with Gobert we would have not won that game or all of the last year's players. This new Jazz team got fight. Olynyk was a stat stuffer made Canada proud

Season series sweep vs Raptors with crazy stat anomalies

Turnovers Raptors -13
FGA Raptors +31 (!!!)
3P% Raptors nearly 10% better in both games

Only box stats where we hold major advantage is blocks (+13), 2P% and FT%.

We needed this loss for Toronto to jump us in the standings, so that's not great. When I saw the score, I was pretty upset, then when I watched the game it's hard not to be excited. Being a sports team fan is complicated, my wife will never understand.

Mike definitely made Lauri's life easier, but Lauri is so good, he's still going to put up numbers, maybe just a little less efficiently.

Sexton has such great touch on his 100mph layups. That's really hard to do, especially with how hard he attacks the basket.

We needed this loss for Toronto to jump us in the standings, so that's not great. When I saw the score, I was pretty upset, then when I watched the game it's hard not to be excited. Being a sports team fan is complicated, my wife will never understand.

Mike definitely made Lauri's life easier, but Lauri is so good, he's still going to put up numbers, maybe just a little less efficiently.

Sexton has such great touch on his 100mph layups. That's really hard to do, especially with how hard he attacks the basket.
Same lol. My GF was like damn the Jazz losing. And I was like ahh yeah, all according to plan. Then I was cheering for them to win and she was like what about the plan.

Idk

What exactly is good for the player about being on a tanking team (should that happen)?
It’s a team with a bright future, fact is with or without Markkanen we need a high pick next year. But Markkanen sad himself this is the happiest he’s ever been being here in Utah, I think he feels a loyalty to Utah since it’s here he was believed in and became a star here, and he will get paid here. I also said only if we don’t get a top pick, such as a top 2 pick.

It’s a team with a bright future, fact is with or without Markkanen we need a high pick next year. But Markkanen sad himself this is the happiest he’s ever been being here in Utah, I think he feels a loyalty to Utah since it’s here he was believed in and became a star here, and he will get paid here. I also said only if we don’t get a top pick, such as a top 2 pick.
He could go at to a team with a bright now and a bright future. The Jazz have a deeply uncertain future, which might be bright. He'll get paid anywhere. He's now an All-Star starter and he can go and be that wherever - there is no longer anything Jazz specific about it. As for helping his game further, I don't think a backcourt of Sexton & THT ranks in the top25.

He's been traded twice in two years and now his current team just showed it has no loyalty to any player. He'd be a fool to have one-way loyalty, as pretty much 98 % of NBA players.

No player looks at all those sweet, sweet '27, '29 picks and think we've got it good. They think they're not probably not gonna be here then, and why am I not contending with Luka & KD, or Kawhi & PG or wherever.

The Jazz have the option of becoming a team where Markkanen wants to stay. However, it has to be based on reality, not hopes and dreams - because there will be a queue of teams offering more than that.

He could go at to a team with a bright now and a bright future. The Jazz have a deeply uncertain future, which might be bright. He'll get paid anywhere. He's now an All-Star starter and he can go and be that wherever - there is no longer anything Jazz specific about it. As for helping his game further, I don't think a backcourt of Sexton & THT ranks in the top25.

He's been traded twice in two years and now his current team just showed it has no loyalty to any player. He'd be a fool to have one-way loyalty, as pretty much 98 % of NBA players.

No player looks at all those sweet, sweet '27, '29 picks and think we've got it good. They think they're not probably not gonna be here then, and why am I not contending with Luka & KD, or Kawhi & PG or wherever.

The Jazz have the option of becoming a team where Markkanen wants to stay. However, it has to be based on reality, not hopes and dreams - because there will be a queue of teams offering more than that.
You are a serious drama queen. Lauri isn't going anywhere if the jazz surround him with solid young talent and we are on a clear upswing when it is time to re-sign and that will definitely be the case.

You are a serious drama queen. Lauri isn't going anywhere if the jazz surround him with solid young talent and we are on a clear upswing when it is time to re-sign and that will definitely be the case.
And you have an issue with reading first before responding...

IF the Jazz are full-on tanking next year, they're not on a clear upswing. What I was responding to was that "Lauri has it good here" when the team is full-on tanking next year. That would be awful for Lauri, for any player of his caliber.

First let me just say this. LMAO!!!

He's been traded twice in two years and now his current team just showed it has no loyalty
The jazz at trade season showed the greatest loyalty to Markkanen by saying he was off the trade table. How is that not loyalty?
No player looks at all those sweet, sweet '27, '29 picks and think we've got it good.
After next year those picks or some of those picks will be used as trade pieces to bolster the team, that right there destroys your entire argument.
That’s already happening idiot!!

And you have the same issue. I did say we only rank if we don’t get a top two pick. But even so, we may not have to tank. But the jazz shouldn’t stop tanking before they are ready, it doesn’t mean our future isn’t bright, and yes, the poster above is right, you are a drama queen. It’s ok though because I’m extremely cool and a drama queen at times, you just gotta learn to be cool and get a new personality and not buy into the fake you that’s all.

The jazz at trade season showed the greatest loyalty to Markkanen by saying he was off the trade table. How is that not loyalty?
I have not seen a single report or comment from Lauri that he was told he will not be traded. Care to provide a link?

After next year those picks or some of those picks will be used as trade pieces to bolster the team, that right there destroys your entire argument.
They might be, or not. Other teams have actual Tatums, Bookers, Jokics - the Jazz have draft assets. A full-on tanking team is not transformed with one or two trades into a contender.

That’s already happening idiot!!
What's happening? He's playing with THT, losing and will do that next year as well?

I did say we only rank if we don’t get a top two pick.
So definitely tanking, because top2 is not happening.

But even so, we may not have to tank.
You called for the tanking. And said that Lauri will have it good tanking. I haven't heard single word from you why Lauri (or any player for that matter) should be feeling good tanking, when they have the option to be contending with a multitude of teams. So, why?

it doesn’t mean our future isn’t bright
Teams that have actual players (let's say OKC) can say they have a bright future. An All-Star can be with those guys every day at practice and see the potential. Whereas picks can turn out to be super-valuable or completely worthless.

IF the Jazz are full-on tanking next year, they're not on a clear upswing. What I was responding to was that "Lauri has it good here" when the team is full-on tanking next year. That would be awful for Lauri, for any player of his caliber.
Its not time to re-sign next year silly. The poster you quoted said "if we are on an upswing WHEN ITS TIME FOR HIM TO RE-SIGN"