What's new

Game Thread Feb 12, 2024 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Warriors

Added to Calendar: 02-12-24

Can anyone find a possession from this game where Keyonte actually played D?
Not to hate on keyonte but I've posted twice now where be was 5th from last and then about a month was 15th from being dead last in defensive efficiency.

We lost the game in the first half when we couldn't get back on defense, even off of makes, and in the second half when we couldn't make shots. I hate to pile on, but a lot of the not getting back and not making shots was Keyonte, he was really bad last night. I think Hardy also deserves a little blame as Dunn should be starting and Kessler and Collins shouldn't be playing together, but he's obviously been dealt a bad hand by the FO, and I'm also not sure how much they are dictating his roster decision making. Hardy saying that Keyonte is starting because, "he is the future." sounds like FO talk, not HC talk.

We lost the game in the first half when we couldn't get back on defense, even off of makes, and in the second half when we couldn't make shots. I hate to pile on, but a lot of the not getting back and not making shots was Keyonte, he was really bad last night. I think Hardy also deserves a little blame as Dunn should be starting and Kessler and Collins shouldn't be playing together, but he's obviously been dealt a bad hand by the FO, and I'm also not sure how much they are dictating his roster decision making. Hardy saying that Keyonte is starting because, "he is the future." sounds like FO talk, not HC talk.
Doesn’t sound like minutes need to be earned right now. Only way to explain the rotation and minutes played is Hardy is in on the tank.

The thing that concerns me most about Hendricks is that he doesn't look like he has good balance. He can't change directions very easily, even just running without the ball.
Let's just cross our fingers and hope it's all due to the fact he's extremely weak and can be fixed with a couple years of physical development.

One thing that really stood out to me about the Hendricks minutes was the talent discrepancy between him and Kuminga.

Yeah, Hendricks by far has the more valuable archetype/mold that is easier to realize, but holy **** Kuminga is so much more talented and has a complete athletic package unlike Hendricks' more straight line based athleticism.

I really don't understand Hardy. It makes way more sense to simply try plugging Hendricks into that Simone role and keeping Dunn as the starter while letting George and Kessler continue doing his thing off the bench. That Kessler, Collins, Lauri trio just doesn't fit well. Collins has been thriving lately when he is the rim runner and that spot is crowded when he and Kessler are playing together.

One thing that really stood out to me about the Hendricks minutes was the talent discrepancy between him and Kuminga.

Yeah, Hendricks by far has the more valuable archetype/mold that is easier to realize, but holy **** Kuminga is so much more talented and has a complete athletic package unlike Hendricks' more straight line based athleticism.
Well Kuminga is a 3rd year guy that is turning into a star and Hendricks has barely gotten minutes.

Sorry, but how do you measure frustration as a reporter? This just feels like a ridiculous thing to say.
The tweet got posted to reddit and someone had a similar question. This was Andy's response:
"I’ll say this much… it wasn’t like a “maybe” situation, where I might have misinterpreted players’ feelings. If you were in my shoes and heard what they said, you 100% would come away with that same understanding."

Well Kuminga is a 3rd year guy that is turning into a star and Hendricks has barely gotten minutes.
Doesnt have anything to do with minutes or experience imo. Just talking raw talent. Hendricks is a low talent player who has some nice tools that fooled people into thinking he had high talent.

Hardy is going to have to completely rebuild the lineups.

If he can do that and make Utah return to their high level play it will be a miracle and he should be considered a coaching god. Utah just doesnt have enough high IQ players to make lineups work anymore.

Simone and KO were incredibly underrated on both sides of the ball. I dont care how many bad plays KO had on D, overall he was a positive defender just on the merits of his IQ.

Hardy is going to have to completely rebuild the lineups.

If he can do that and make Utah return to their high level play it will be a miracle and he should be considered a coaching god. Utah just doesnt have enough high IQ players to make lineups work anymore.

Simone and KO were incredibly underrated on both sides of the ball. I dont care how many bad plays KO had on D, overall he was a positive defender just on the merits of his IQ.

At the first of the year when trying to build competent lineups I had KO and Agbaji playing like 40 minutes (KO for passing/play making, Agbaji for on ball defense). Simone came in and took some of that burden and made lineups work, but now all 3 are gone.

I suppose if I did a similar exercise today it's probably just not possible to put competent lineups together. I do wonder if there are players out there on the fringes that could provide some of the connectivity/on ball defense that the team is lacking. Last year we added Dunn. Maybe this year there is someone we could sign off the scrap heap to allow for some competent lineups.

At the first of the year when trying to build competent lineups I had KO and Agbaji playing like 40 minutes (KO for passing/play making, Agbaji for on ball defense). Simone came in and took some of that burden and made lineups work, but now all 3 are gone.

I suppose if I did a similar exercise today it's probably just not possible to put competent lineups together. I do wonder if there are players out there on the fringes that could provide some of the connectivity/on ball defense that the team is lacking. Last year we added Dunn. Maybe this year there is someone we could sign off the scrap heap to allow for some competent lineups.
Yeah, basically Ochai/Simone kind of flipped where I expected each player to be, so it ended up working out.

But even with how bad Ochai was at hitting shots, he was in the right place and he was generally making the right plays. Hendricks is making a mistake every trip on both sides of the court anytime a decision has to be made that isnt just stand in the corner or guard the guy with teh ball.

And it's not just "oh a rookie" mistakes. They are this guy is a low IQ player who is going to take a long time to get this stuff down type of mistakes.

Lauri with a horrendous shot then lets Draymond shoot that smh.
This is priceless!

Me me me guys Sexton, Tht, Clarkson and junior member Keyonte make a total mess of everything in D and O.

And the only thing Huge brings up is Lauri’s shortcomings.

Better that you stop writing here like someone once told me to do⏳⏳

This is priceless!

Me me me guys Sexton, Tht, Clarkson and junior member Keyonte make a total mess of everything in D and O.

And the only thing Huge brings up is Lauri’s shortcomings.

Better that you stop writing here like someone once told me to do⏳⏳
Sorry that I pointed out a mistake Lauri had and it hurts your feelings. Lauri is our best player unequivocally but it wasn’t his best night. It happens.

Sorry that I pointed out a mistake Lauri had and it hurts your feelings. Lauri is our best player unequivocally but it wasn’t his best night. It happens.

Do you still think Tec was insignificant and that the trades were irrelevant to the Jazz' season? lol

At this point Jazz organization is talking/doing lots of things that plainly makes no sense.
Hearing Zanik throwing forward ghostly semantics like "acquiring liquid draft capital" or Hardy's logic being "because it's time"... it is just a little too much.
Are they actually loosing it right before our eyes?