What's new

Game Thread Feb 16, 2022 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Lakers

Added to Calendar: 02-16-22

When other teams go small you have to feed it inside to punish them. It’s on the coach when this doesn’t happen.
I wouldnt use the word "feed" but you have to be aware and ready to take advantage if you have a 7 footer parked in front of the rim. It's going to be a foul or a bucket 75% of the time.

I get the concern on Gobert's hand thing, but that's more of a concern in PNR than it is for deep post.

That second turnovers of rudys you mentioned was the only time he royally effed up and made a boneheaded play. Thats it. 1 time. You are correct that he should have had more opportunities

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Yup, and it really feels like Gobert's leash is super short in that regard. **** up more than once and you arent getting anymore looks. That has to mentally affect him. I'm sure at least 50% of his mistakes are due to him being surprised he actually gets passed the ball.

Like I think this kind of play is available at least 2-3 times per game and we hit it maybe once every 6 times.

This should be a set play. PNR for switch, Gobert buries his man in the post, swing to the player who has an angle to hit Gobert.

IDK, this **** just grinds my gears when we let Clarkson take some of the wild shots he takes.

Last edited:
Too me that isn't the issue. I just didn't want him based on what we had to pay to get him.

We lost Crowder, 2 frps, Allen and KK for an undersized PG added to an already undersized backcourt. It was a bad decision.

On top of that, he is paid a lot, which takes away flexibility to add other players.

I really like Conley, but that trade was really bad.
Him being really old and injury prone doesn't help the case either. Like every years playoffs he's dealing with some kind of injury

Players like Jokic are intelligent playmakers they have a high offensive awareness and can increase our offense. Again Gobert excels when we shoot horribly other than that he has range of a dunk at best
Really? Do you have data which supports this? Do Gobert's offensive numbers go up as the team's offensive numbers go down? I'd love to see your data.

Last night rudy had a bad game. You can literally almost never ever say that. He is the most consistent player in the league. Its shocking when he has a bad game.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
It was unfortunate timing and I do think it can be blamed on the injury... I do think if you are hurt you sit out longer with the type of injury he has. If the All-Star games wasn't right around the corner I'm not sure he plays.

Its just super frustrating to watch us fold time and time again when things get tough.

When other teams go small you have to feed it inside to punish them. It’s on the coach when this doesn’t happen.
Its not necessarily small ball that gets us. Its when teams have enough wings to switch competently on the court. We continue to go into the pick and roll knowing they will switch it and a very minor advantage might be gained. Hell - there are times where its Donovan going from a worse defender to a better defender because they know they will send Rudy to set the screen. If they switch there is no blender... no blender then it becomes one on one. If its one on one then its really only Donovan that can create reliably off the dribble right now. They also did some trapping realizing that Donovan was the only one on the court that would hurt them off the dribble. A healthy Mike would have helped but he looks like he's moving in mud right now.

The small ball component is just another theme of something that has hurt us over the years that we haven't figured out great answers for.

As @KqWIN has been mentioning we also didn't try to take the ball out of Lebron's hands... which is kind of wild when you have Rudy out on him on an island. Rudy is good but bringing a trap would likely work pretty well... if the ball swings to Westbrook or Bazemore or whoever that is fine... hug the 1-2 shooters but help off the other guys. We either don't adjust or don't execute a very simple adjustment.

Him being really old and injury prone doesn't help the case either. Like every years playoffs he's dealing with some kind of injury
And to be clear, he has missed a significant # of games throughout his career.

Edit: he also has no fire. Zero techs in his entire career. This is just business to him. I want players with a little bit of fire.

And again lopo superstar had 3 quoters and than he disappeared like every time when game is close
I'm on Central Time. I played soccer for 2 hours before watching as well. When I went to bed at halftime, like others around here, I had no reason to believe we would fold.

And to be clear, he has missed a significant # of games throughout his career.

Edit: he also has no fire. Zero techs in his entire career. This is just business to him. I want players with a little bit of fire.
He also relies too much on spacing and screen assist. Unlike CP3 who can attack switches and punish his defenders in an iso, Conley can't do it on a regular basis or without Rudy screening his defenders away off a pick n roll. Meaning once opponents decided to go small and switch on everything we are toast.

I'm on Central Time. I played soccer for 2 hours before watching as well. When I went to bed at halftime, like others around here, I had no reason to believe we would fold.
It is simple we need to find way or lineup to close this tight games or atleast have plan what we should do.Tired getting burned every single time with same tactics, give ball to don and pray....

It is simple we need to find way or lineup to close this tight games or atleast have plan what we should do.Tired getting burned every single time with same tactics, give ball to don and pray....
I agree. And for as blasphemous as it may sound for some people, Rudy might not have to be in our closing lineup depending on the matchup. Many times, the pick and roll simply does not work so Don has to go iso. In that situation, Rudy just clogs the paint. Rudy Gay or Paschall might make more sense.

Yup, and it really feels like Gobert's leash is super short in that regard. **** up more than once and you arent getting anymore looks. That has to mentally affect him. I'm sure at least 50% of his mistakes are due to him being surprised he actually gets passed the ball.

This is most definitely true. You do make a good point. It’s like a WR who never gets the ball thrown to him and is surprised when he actually does. Then one **** up and you’re done. Really does affect you mentally.

The more I think about it the more we really should try to "force" the ball to Rudy when he has someone smaller on him. Need to punish them on that end for going small.

I agree. And for as blasphemous as it may sound for some people, Rudy might not have to be in our closing lineup depending on the matchup. Many times, the pick and roll simply does not work so Don has to go iso. In that situation, Rudy just clogs the paint. Rudy Gay or Paschall might make more sense.
I just got feeling we getting scared or something when u need to close game , ball not moving at all and we using same bad patterns and they obviously not work. And don't think sit one of your all star players will fix this

Ah but grasshopper, you don't fully understand the system and that eventually we will statistically regress to the mean. Trust the system. Believe in the system. Love the system.

I just got feeling we getting scared or something when u need to close game , ball not moving at all and we using same bad patterns and they obviously not work. And don't think sit one of your all star players will fix this
Rudy is an all star for his defense, his ability to screen and his ability to finish only at the rim. If the PnR game is not working adequately at the end of games, you have to question how effective Rudy is in there. Almost all teams go with 5 shooting options in their crunch time offense. The NBA is now all about guys who can take other guys off the dribble in iso situations. You never see a last second shot come from a big man screen at the top unless that big man is also a threat from deep (AD, Jokic, etc).

Donovan can shake great defenders in this league. We should try letting him go at a guy and maybe the opponent's rotation leaves somebody wide open for big buckets. Don can't get to the rim if Rudy is in there because the defense can always sag off Rudy taking away the rim option.

Rudy is an all star for his defense, his ability to screen and his ability to finish only at the rim. If the PnR game is not working adequately at the end of games, you have to question how effective Rudy is in there. Almost all teams go with 5 shooting options in their crunch time offense. The NBA is now all about guys who can take other guys off the dribble in iso situations. You never see a last second shot come from a big man screen at the top unless that big man is also a threat from deep (AD, Jokic, etc).

Donovan can shake great defenders in this league. We should try letting him go at a guy and maybe the opponent's rotation leaves somebody wide open for big buckets. Don can't get to the rim if Rudy is in there because the defense can always sag off Rudy taking away the rim option.
Don is our best player no doubt but i wanna see hes game from first 3q of game at the end and he was scoreless last 5 minutes. Same ppl are guarding him at the end and he should use hes strength and get inside not choke from outside.