What's new

FIBA Stuff

Would be interesting to see if USA plays someone like France if a guy like Gobert can get going if that would force USA to put in The Giga Chad.

Given that Jokic isnt playing, that probably isnt going to happen.
Then again, Jokic is considered too puny to play as Center under FIBA rules, so he plays as Powerforward with Team Serbia (and the beefier gorillas Serbia has no shortage of are used as centers). Four years ago that was the downfall of USA, as the team used three guards and two wings vs SERBIA (and thus had no business inside the 3p arc in either end of the field). Hand checking is legal under FIBA rules, which is a heavy hindrance for smaller players attempting to drive inside.

Trying to find a box score for this is near impossible
Yeah I had that same issue. Ben Anderson tweeted though that Kessler played the last 5 minutes and had 3 boards and 5 points.

So.... his per36 stats are now 36 points and 22 rebounds. :cool:

But then again, Kerr gave an interview about how Paolo Banchero will play a lot of 5 since he wants someone on the 5 who can push the ball fast in transition, and I guess Kessler is always gonna hand it off instead. So I'd expect that we see Kessler at the end of bench with garbage minutes only, unless there are injuries.

Finland playing in a few hours against Estonia, a home game. There are some rumors that Lauri would not play but I doubt that. The only game in the capital area, pretty high ticket prices for this kind of a practice game...

Finland playing in a few hours against Estonia, a home game. There are some rumors that Lauri would not play but I doubt that. The only game in the capital area, pretty high ticket prices for this kind of a practice game...
Any updates? Any of our Finnish fans going to this game?

Tied up in the 4th quarter now.

Finland won 86-80. Lauri 29/13/3 and looked sharper than last game.
Man he is good. So efficient. Im sure he is the primary focus of the oppositions defense too.
Question: How many minutes do they play in these games? What is the pace like? How many shots taken in a game are typical vs how many shots taken in a game are typical in the nba?

Just curious how his numbers might extrapolate to be higher if this were an nba style game. I mean 86-80 is not a typical final score.
Im thinking 29 points and 13 rebounds in the game today would be more like a 37 point/15 rebound game in the nba.

Man he is good. So efficient. Im sure he is the primary focus of the oppositions defense too.
Question: How many minutes do they play in these games? What is the pace like? How many shots taken in a game are typical vs how many shots taken in a game are typical in the nba?

Just curious how his numbers might extrapolate to be higher if this were an nba style game. I mean 86-80 is not a typical final score.
Im thinking 29 points and 13 rebounds in the game today would be more like a 37 point/15 rebound game in the nba.
Its a lot different. 10 minute quarters and that plus more allowing rules leads to a 20 point dip in average points scored per team.

Good luck for NBA defending our four out/five out with this on-going version of Lauri. Dude scores almost 30 with a meh game now.

Yeah I had that same issue. Ben Anderson tweeted though that Kessler played the last 5 minutes and had 3 boards and 5 points.

So.... his per36 stats are now 36 points and 22 rebounds. :cool:

But then again, Kerr gave an interview about how Paolo Banchero will play a lot of 5 since he wants someone on the 5 who can push the ball fast in transition, and I guess Kessler is always gonna hand it off instead. So I'd expect that we see Kessler at the end of bench with garbage minutes only, unless there are injuries.
Which is fine. He’s a competitive guy. Let it piss him off as the Jazz head into the regular season. I’m live the idea of Walker Kessler with a massive chip on his shoulder.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rXUuF5kR7Dg

Highlights from Finland Estonia match. Commentary in Finnish. Finland in blue, Estonia in white.

Finland played like poo during first half, especially on D. Estonia is not a very skilled or athletic team, but they always play hard vs Finland (some sort of "little brother -syndrome", I guess).

Things didn't get better as all three Finnish PG's became unavailable after five minutes (two didn't dress for the match as cautionary measures, and the third got a bump in his thigh early in the game, so he too was taken aside just to be safe). Lauri and Sasu Salin (a SG, one of the best 3p shooters in Europe, and the team captain) took over as primary ballhandlers, and at first it didn't go well.

During second half Finland began to get their act together, especially as Salin seemingly became more comfortable at being the floor general. Still, the match was very close until the final minute. End result 86-80 for Finland.

Last edited:
Also FYI for those who didnt check the full box.

Lauri played just 27:53 and was 10/14 on FGs and 2/5 from 3. So very effective 29 points in about 28 minutes with just 14 FGA.

I also wanna add one curiosity thing that could be off since the sample is just two games. I felt like he used his voice less and expressions more when communicating fouls to the refs. He had that superstar demeanor and those classic "wtf" expressions about him, and got a pretty good whistle on both games. He used to scream more often when hard fouled, but now it felt like he had more elegance in those situations.