What's new

FIFA World Cup 2018

Well.. then what team should I support? My favourite team's not there...

I guess my 2nd favourite team's probably Germany with Oziil who plays for my favourite team Arsenal.

Yeah but the system is broken if the likes of Saudi Arabia gets through and Holland & Italy don't.

Not really, its a world game, the Europeans get 13 spots between 52 nations if they can't make the top 13 teams in Europe too bad. Meanwhile the 46 nations in Asia playoff for 4.5 spots, this also excludes the smaller Asian nations the going through a preliminary playoff to get into the main draw.

Not really, its a world game, the Europeans get 13 spots between 52 nations if they can't make the top 13 teams in Europe too bad. Meanwhile the 46 nations in Asia playoff for 4.5 spots, this also excludes the smaller Asian nations the going through a preliminary playoff to get into the main draw.

So what, Asia gets preferential treatment and even though they're not as good as the European teams they'll get allocated space anyway?

How is that fair?

So what, Asia gets preferential treatment and even though they're not as good as the European teams they'll get allocated space anyway?

How is that fair?

How is that unfair? You have a much better chance of qualifying through Europe, nations qualify through their confederations, its a confusing system and it favours the Europeans and South Americans considerably.

Who says they not as good anyway? The Japanese and Koreans are quite good, we aren't too bad either and would beat a fair few European teams, The rankings system is ******** because its weighted to make games against european and south american teams mean more, if you are not in those confederations you rarely get to play them and its likely to be in a friendly which counts for less. So you don't get ranked as high, in 2006 and six when we went to the second round in the world cup we were easily a top ten team in the world and had been for a couple of years, I don't think have been officially ranked higher than mid twenties.

Last edited:
How is that unfair? You have a much better chance of qualifying through Europe, nations qualify through their confederations, its a confusing system and it favours the Europeans and South Americans considerably.

Who says they not as good anyway? The Japanese and Koreans are quite good, we aren't too bad either and would beat a fair few European teams, The rankings system is ******** because its weighted to make games against european and south american teams mean more, if you are not in those confederations you rarely get to play them and it likely be in a friendly which counts for less.

I dunno, it's not gonna be real exciting this year with teams like Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Peru, Panama, Tunisia...

Are you telling me those teams should be in ahead of Holland and Italy?

Ugh.

I dunno, it's not gonna be real exciting this year with teams like Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Peru, Panama, Tunisia...

Are you telling me those teams should be in ahead of Holland and Italy?

Ugh.

Yes. The bloke that broke the English Premier league scoring record is Egyptian for starter, so he is arguably one of the best strikers in the world right now. Peru beat out Chile, Paraguay and Ecuador to qualify and they are all very strong teams with top professionals. Tunisia qualified ahead of Cameroon, the Ivory Coast and Mali all top nations. The Saudis qualified ahead of us and Panama qualified because the US suck.

You have to earn your place, no country should be guaranteed a world cup spot except the host

Reactions: MVP
Yes. The bloke that broke the English Premier league scoring record is Egyptian for starter, so he is arguably one of the best strikers in the world right now. Peru beat out Chile, Paraguay and Ecuador to qualify and they are all very strong teams with top professionals. Tunisia qualified ahead of Cameroon, the Ivory Coast and Mali all top nations. The Saudis qualified ahead of us and Panama qualified because the US suck.

You have to earn your place, no country should be guaranteed a world cup spot except the host

I dunno man, I'm not real excited to watch any of those teams play to be perfectly honest with you. I would predict the ratings of these World Cups would be some of the lowest in recent history.

So... in 2026 it's a joint US-Canada-Mexico host... ARE ALL THESE TEAMS GONNA GET AUTOMATIC QUALIFICATION???

Is that even FAIR?!?!?

There will be 44 or 48 teams instead of 32 I believe, its too many teams in my opinion. Its not unprecedented Korea and Japan hosted in 2002, both were considered lightweights at the time, both are excellent teams now, South Korea were quarter finalists in 2002 as well.

They sacked their manager after he signed a deal to manage Real Madrid after the World Cup and didn't think he should tell his employer until 5 minutes before it was announced.

Oh yeah I saw that. Fernando Hierro shall take us far though, his soccer IQ when he played with Real Madrid was off the charts.

So... in 2026 it's a joint US-Canada-Mexico host... ARE ALL THESE TEAMS GONNA GET AUTOMATIC QUALIFICATION???
Is that even FAIR?!?!?

One day it will be united bid from Australia/New Zealand and both will automatically qualify - it is just fine especially with 48 teams in the future.

Dream start for Russia, quick goal is what they needed. Arabs seems to be very careless with the ball, their passing is atrocious so far.