What's new

First Ebola virus diagnosed in the USA (Dallas, TX)

"...On Tuesday — the day Dr. Spencer first began to feel sluggish..."
This is about as close as you can get it. This Dr. acted very foolishly and it might be nothing more than luck if he hasn't spread it to anyone else. He acted very foolishly on the 21st and 2erd imo.

In all of the stories I've seen on ebola, sluggishness has not been listed as a symptom.

In all of the stories I've seen on ebola, sluggishness has not been listed as a symptom.

I think for many people though, sluggishness is frequently a precursor to just about any illness...

that sort of "just not quite up to speed" feeling often comes first

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ebola-virus/basics/symptoms/con-20031241

Signs and symptoms typically begin abruptly within five to 10 days of infection with Ebola or Marburg virus. Early signs and symptoms include:

Fever
Severe headache
Joint and muscle aches
Chills
Weakness
Over time, symptoms become increasingly severe and may include:

Nausea and vomiting
Diarrhea (may be bloody)
Red eyes
Raised rash
Chest pain and cough
Stomach pain
Severe weight loss
Bleeding, usually from the eyes, and bruising (people near death may bleed from other orifices, such as ears, nose and ******)
Internal bleeding

I suppose "weakness" and "sluggishness" could be similar. Generally if you are feeling weak you are also feeling sluggish.

I think for many people though, sluggishness is frequently a precursor to just about any illness...

that sort of "just not quite up to speed" feeling often comes first

To this point, if I knew I had been exposed to ebola and I was supposed to be "self-monitoring" then I would imagine that ANY change in how I feel physically I would assume the worst, since it could, you know, kill me, and I would get IMMEDIATELY to a hospital to be checked.

Then again, this is exactly why self-monitoring will almost always fail.

US deaths from ebola = 1
Annual US deaths from the flu = >3000, as high as 49,000 over the past 40 years

US ebola infections = 3 (maybe 4, only 2 transmitted in the states)
Annual US flu infections = between 5% and 20% of the population get the flu, approx 200,000 are hospitalized from it annually

% of US populations panicking over ebola = >90%
% of the US population that thinks flu shots are worthless = ?%, but apparently anyone who follows Bill Maher. Link.

% of US population that are morons....well you can do the math.

I hate that big-nosed dick bag, but I also think flu shots are ******** for most people. I've had two, and coincidentally, got two of the worst cases of flu I've had in my life. Haven't had a flu shot in years and I haven't had the flu since.

You should be pissed. Bite the bullet, you spoiled little ****. You could potentially wipe out half of the world? You don't care because you're hungry, want to watch The Bachelor, or you're bored. She should be behind bars if you ask me.

I was catching up on some reading and came across this article on the small pox scare of the 1940's. It's a super short one that was in Vanity Fair's 100th anniversary magazine. Anyway, do any of you think what the article describes would ever be possible today?

Was there supposed to be a link in that post?