What's new

Fit next to Lauri

I'd say anyone that can guard, shoot, and pass would be good. You want to take advantage of the two way ability he has but also he is not a playmaker... so will need to supplement with some passers. Tic two or three of those boxes and it should be good.

Lets not do this with Kidd comparisons lol. Kidd is an other worldly passer and an amazing defender. May have had the best hands I've seen growing up. If the ball is in his area its his now... let's just not do this.
Anthony Black maybe is the better modern day comp. He is a truly spectacular setup up player and an amazing defender. Am I missing something? He maybe just went up on my draft board just based on fit.

I also like the length and switchability. Back in the day, Kidd was a BIG point. Now days, Kidd would be average at best. A pairing of Black and Lauri makes sense to me.

Luka makes sense next to Lauri for sure. It's what Luka and Porzingis was supposed to be. If we can make that happen, it's the type of FIT that I would be looking for.

Lauri with a wing only makes sense for me if that wing is an Alpha. Is there anyone in this draft that can be that player in our range?

Cam Whitmore is a maybe. Hendricks is not. Walker is not the guy. I don't see the prototypical SF wing with that scoring mentality in our draft range. We could potentially grab a scoring threat and develop them into a star a la Spida Mitchell, but who in the top 16 has the type of 3 level scoring potential to be an all star AND size? Bufkin? Nope. One of the Thompson twins? If they had a shot, then I could see it.

Anthony Black maybe is the better modern day comp. He is a truly spectacular setup up player and an amazing defender. Am I missing something? He maybe just went up on my draft board just based on fit.

I also like the length and switchability. Back in the day, Kidd was a BIG point. Now days, Kidd would be average at best. A pairing of Black and Lauri makes sense to me.

Black is neither a spectacular setup player or amazing defender. He was solid in both departments but far from great.

Talent is talent. Fit is important, but I want the Jazz to acquire the 8-10 most talented players they can. Focusing too much on fit can cause teams to pass up good players when they have a chance to get them.

Talent is talent. Fit is important, but I want the Jazz to acquire the 8-10 most talented players they can. Focusing too much on fit can cause teams to pass up good players when they have a chance to get them.
This.

Kinda... Talent TIERS are hard to pass up. But there are clearly 3 and arguably 4 tiers in the first 9 picks.

1 - Wemby
2 - Scoot / Miller
3 - Cam / Thompson Twins
4 - (perhaps a half step down from tier 3) Hendricks/Black/Walker because they could fall anywhere from 5 - 9

We probably aren't going to get Cam or the tier 3 guys without trading up tbh. But that does leave 3 likely pickups barring a trade or a reach for another option like Dick or Bilal.

So, if we are talking tiers, sure. I get wanting the most talented player. But when you are down to a tier of players it SHOULD be fit. Also, how a player develops does depend on a system, fit, etc.

The further you fall down the draft the more important fit becomes. If the best player available is only 1% better than it is kind of stupid. Unless you have some sort of insight that the player is the next Jokic.