What's new

Fixing Donovan

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
So Mitchell's 3 pt shooting is dropping off at a scary rate. Consider the following:

Games 1-25
6 out of 25 games Mitchell shot under 35% from 3. The rest well over 35%.

Games 26-34
6 out of 9 games Mitchell shot under 35% from 3, only one of the other games over his 38% mark on the season. In fact the last game he played, against Orlando, who are notorious for bad 3 pt coverage.

Combined with his career lowest mark at the rim, this is a bad trend. Is this just regression to the mean, with him dropping slowly but steadily back to his career (before this season) 35% mark from 3? Is he nursing an injury we do not know about? How is he going to get his 3 pt Mojo back?

Mitchell is our iso guy. His drop off at the rim this year is very concerning. Now with a drop off from the 3, this is a problem.

I am confident he will get it back before the playoffs, that this is hopefully a blip, or a "market adjustment", and he will get back on track. But there is reason to be concerned, as he is our one "super-star" player.

Thoughts?

So Mitchell's 3 pt shooting is dropping off at a scary rate. Consider the following:

Games 1-25
6 out of 25 games Mitchell shot under 35% from 3. The rest well over 35%.

Games 26-34
6 out of 9 games Mitchell shot under 35% from 3, only one of the other games over his 38% mark on the season. In fact the last game he played, against Orlando, who are notorious for bad 3 pt coverage.

Combined with his career lowest mark at the rim, this is a bad trend. Is this just regression to the mean, with him dropping slowly but steadily back to his career (before this season) 35% mark from 3? Is he nursing an injury we do not know about? How is he going to get his 3 pt Mojo back?

Mitchell is our iso guy. His drop off at the rim this year is very concerning. Now with a drop off from the 3, this is a problem.

I am confident he will get it back before the playoffs, that this is hopefully a blip, or a "market adjustment", and he will get back on track. But there is reason to be concerned, as he is our one "super-star" player.

Thoughts?
He definitely needs to be better for us to win a title. Him playing like a superstar is our best chance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

No concern here... He shot 42% from 3 in Jan... 38% in Feb.

He's had dips like this the last couple years... and even more dramatic. Nothing to fix... just the nature of jump shots.

No concern here... He shot 42% from 3 in Jan... 38% in Feb.

He's had dips like this the last couple years... and even more dramatic. Nothing to fix... just the nature of jump shots.
loggrad's head explodes whenever he sees small sample size three point percentages that aren't above 40%

He’s averaging a career best % from 3 on the most attempts in his career.

Mods, please lock this thread.

He just had his best month of drawing FTA's and had a better than 2:1 A:TO ratio, but we got to fix him?

This is the upgraded version.
I've been super impressed with the non-shooting stuff (including defense) that I've seen from DM in the last month or so. Anyone can look great when they are on a heater.

loggrad's head explodes whenever he sees small sample size three point percentages that aren't above 40%
Any real replies from anyone or just mules braying "hee-haw hee-haw".

That is all I ever hear when Cy posts anything. His pathological need to put others down renders his every opinion moot.

I've been super impressed with the non-shooting stuff (including defense) that I've seen from DM in the last month or so. Anyone can look great when they are on a heater.
Good point. Although overall for this season his defensive stats are down from previous seasons, the eye test looked like he was meshing better more recently with the team D concept we are pushing. That is a plus.

Any real replies from anyone or just mules braying "hee-haw hee-haw".

That is all I ever hear when Cy posts anything. His pathological need to put others down renders his every opinion moot.
Salty over an inane thread? Lucky I graced this thread with excellent posts.

I think a lot of his inconsistencies are by design. He puts so much pressure on Defenses that it opens up the offense and makes other players job on offense easier

10-lepers-ten.jpeg

Me every time I post in a loggrad thread

Salty over an inane thread? Lucky I graced this thread with excellent posts.
lol delusional too, cracks me up. You are the one who came in all guns a-blazing ready to RIGHT ALL THE INTERWEBZ WRONGZ, the ultimate keyboard warrior.

I think a lot of his inconsistencies are by design. He puts so much pressure on Defenses that it opens up the offense and makes other players job on offense easier
He does get pressured more, but he has since his rookie year really.

I am not saying he hasn't improved at all, he is better in some aspects, his numbers overall are marginally above his career numbers, 24.5 ppg vs 24 last year kind of thing. I just think to really make a deep run we will need the Mitchell that went off in the bubble last year. I think he will get there but his recent dip in shooting is a concern, as is his finishing at the rim, which has declined each year since his rookie year.