What's new

Following 2016 potential draftees

Luwawu vs korkmaz will be a fun argument.

Let me preface my opinion with that i think there are a ton of bigs available in the low teens. Bigs take longer to develop therefore there is a better chance of a homerun or even a solid double (rotational player).

Luwawu does everything well. He is already a solid player. His defensive stance is already good and he seems to have the desire to play defense. His shoot looks good and he plays with fire. His measurements are very good.

Korkmaz has an amazing shot and great offensive mind set. His release is amazing and nba ready. He has a great offensive mind set. Defensively i worry a lot. He doesnt show a lot of desire to play defense and his posture is flat out awful. As good as he is offensively his defense is the polar opposite. (side bar: because of kanter i am worried about purely offensive players especially Turkish. I know that i shouldnt feel this way and i apologize to the turkish people this might offend).

I would draft luwawu.

Sent from my LG-D851 using JazzFanz mobile app

I get the comps to Thabo Sefalosha and Doug Christie as far as Luwawu's defensive potential is concerned. Just keep in mind that the Jazz with Exum and Gobert are already going to be a top-5 defensive team. What they need is offensive versatility so they don't bog down, turn the ball over or throw up bricks. I think Korkmaz's offensive versatility, including the ability to make a shot from anywhere and make a play with the pass, would have the bigger impact on the Jazz's offense and overall outlook. Luwawu's a decent player though.

Keep in mind, when Kyle Korver shoots the ball well, the Hawks become a contender. When he doesn't shoot the ball well, the Hawks are a middling playoff team...kinda like where we're headed right now.

K, keep being wrong.

your evidence against my theory has been stupidly facile and wrong, fyi. In the future I'll keep in mind that you can be blown off the scent easier than everyone on jfc.

Last edited:
Whoever it's gonna be I will really look forward to Boler trying to pronounce KorKmaZZzzzZZZzzzz and LuWaWOooOOoooo.... hahaha..

Korkmaz is a really fun name to say. This draft build up will be mainly who should we pick from Luwawu and Korkmaz.
I'm ok with that. Both have traits that would make the team better if they panned out.

Kork has the shot. We need a shooter bad.
Luwawu has the fire, and defense.

I could see Luwawu being an upgrade to Burks. Alec isnt a defensive stopper.
As much of a Burks lover as I am he maybe the spot we need to upgrade.
Timothe seems to have more upside with his shot, and projects to be a better defender.

Someone needs to go. Maybe we just get rid of CJ and either Luwawu or Korkmaz replace him.

Exum, Mack, Neto
Hood, Burks, Luwawu/Korkmaz
Hayward, Booker, Ingles
Favors, Lyles
Gobert, Withey, Pleiss

to all placing a premium on wing-shooting sans-defense, ask yourself how many minutes Stauskas has received since coming to the NBA.

I feel like the Jazz FO is gonna be choosing between Korkmaz and Luwawu for #12. I figure it'll probably be Luwawu unless Korkmaz projects as a competent defender. Ir'd be such a treat to have a knockdown threat from the perimeter.

I get the comps to Thabo Sefalosha and Doug Christie as far as Luwawu's defensive potential is concerned. Just keep in mind that the Jazz with Exum and Gobert are already going to be a top-5 defensive team. What they need is offensive versatility so they don't bog down, turn the ball over or throw up bricks. I think Korkmaz's offensive versatility, including the ability to make a shot from anywhere and make a play with the pass, would have the bigger impact on the Jazz's offense and overall outlook. Luwawu's a decent player though.

Keep in mind, when Kyle Korver shoots the ball well, the Hawks become a contender. When he doesn't shoot the ball well, the Hawks are a middling playoff team...kinda like where we're headed right now.

this is a really good post. Our needs on offense far exceed our needs on defense.

I'm not sure we need a lockdown wing (hayward aint bad for 3s, Hood and Exum aint bad for 2s) as bad as we need spacing, playmaking and knockdown shooters.

With that said, Korkmaz can't be drafted if he plays Stauskas defence. He needs to prove that he isn't a crippling net-negative out there.

The Hawks look like a team better suited to the playoffs this year than last. So, the "Korver" argument is tossed out the window. They look like a better playoff team because of their improved defense.

In other words, Catchall's post (which Dalamon thought was a "really good post") looks pretty bad, IMO.

The Celtics scored 7 points in the first quarter yesterday.

The Hawks look like a team better suited to the playoffs this year than last. So, the "Korver" argument is tossed out the window. They look like a better playoff team because of their improved defense.

In other words, Catchall's post (which Dalamon thought was a "really good post") looks pretty bad, IMO.

Atlanta is 12th in PPG this season, Utah is 28th.

So the kids from California (Jaylen Brown & Ivan Rabb) have not declared yet? They are both expected to go ahead of the Jazz's #12 pick, if they declare. It will impact the jazz.

Anyone know if they are planning to declare?

Creating the French-Aussie axis of hoop talent: Luwawu at 12, 2nd round stash Cornelie (French stretch 4), and/or take Simmons at 1 or 2 if we defy the odds.

(not advocating, just having fun).

welp that makes sense, I'm still waiting to see who hires agents before I can really set the field but it's hard to imagine a scenario where he'd get drafted..

if they strike out on this final wave of bigs, and Yertseven either goes elsewhere or isn't legit..

Do you think they oould go after Derryck Thornton??

Any chance they go after a remaining 4-star player like Kostas Antetekounmpo or Deshawn Corprew late?

No chance on Thornton.. And will not be a need at all.
There's some rumblings about a possible grad transfer but I can't get a name.
I think if we miss on Bolden and Yurtseven we will roll with what we've got.
We lack a true elite C for sure, but we have decent depth with all of these guys 6'9 or bigger;
Gabriel
Bam
Hump
Tai
Lee
Willis
Skj

I believe Bam would do fine at 6'9.25 250 and freak athlete/motor.

to all placing a premium on wing-shooting sans-defense, ask yourself how many minutes Stauskas has received since coming to the NBA.

I feel like the Jazz FO is gonna be choosing between Korkmaz and Luwawu for #12. I figure it'll probably be Luwawu unless Korkmaz projects as a competent defender. Ir'd be such a treat to have a knockdown threat from the perimeter.

Look at Stauskas' shooting percentages and age before you compare him to Korkmaz. Korkmaz isn't going to be a defensive juggernaut, but neither are Korver, Redick, McCollum or Booker. I think Korkmaz might be a solid shooter from all over the floor.

Your point is what exactly? Korver started last night when the Hawks held the Cs to 7pts in the first quarter. Korver also shot 5/7 on 3-pt attempts and played 33 mins. His +/- was +25 in a 17-point win. He's a top-10 offensive player when he's shooting well.

Or they are just playing an overachieving Boston team who got hit with some huge injuries.

Look at Stauskas' shooting percentages and age before you compare him to Korkmaz. Korkmaz isn't going to be a defensive juggernaut, but neither are Korver, Redick, McCollum or Booker. I think Korkmaz might be a solid shooter from all over the floor.

Korkmaz shot flames in college dude at a very high rate.

*We are not automatically a top-5 defensive team because Gobert and Exum (No Favors in your post??). Exum has loads to prove, and our defensive woes in the 4th quarter point to a thorough-going problem with our defensive aptitude.

*Becoming more versatile on the offensive side doesn't mean that we have to start sacrificing defensive capabilities. In order to play on a string, everybody should be apt. You acquire talent that fits into your system and alongside your already-acquired talent without compromising that system or those aptitudes (which Korkmaz would certainly do... and for a while... but maybe he can be taught?). And you also expect these players to be impact-full offensive players. Getting better in one facet needn't result in getting worse in the other.

*Korver's team-defense has always been very under-rated around here. In your post, you seem to imply that he's a compromise-to-the-system. He's often not. Does his style of offense take more energy from his defender and leave him less cashed on the other side? Yes. Therefore, is offensive impact important to defensive impact? Yes. But this isn't a simple dialectical problem. It's more complicated than that.

*Your point about the Hawks is, at certain points, unproven, and, at others, just plain wrong. First, the Hawks are just a couple of years into a massive overhaul and culture change. During that process, they've signed an incredible collection of players on great deals, drafted well, won 60 games, been to the EFC, and may very well be back to the EFC in consecutive years as a better team than the year before. It's embarrassing to call what they're doing "middling". Now, to the wrong part: the jazz should not be compared to the Hawks in this facile way.

*We are not automatically a top-5 defensive team because Gobert and Exum (No Favors in your post??). Exum has loads to prove, and our defensive woes in the 4th quarter point to a thorough-going problem with our defensive aptitude.

*Becoming more versatile on the offensive side doesn't mean that we have to start sacrificing defensive capabilities. In order to play on a string, everybody should be apt. You acquire talent that fits into your system and alongside your already-acquired talent without compromising that system or those aptitudes (which Korkmaz would certainly do... and for a while... but maybe he can be taught?). And you also expect these players to be impact-full offensive players. Getting better in one facet needn't result in getting worse in the other.

*Korver's team-defense has always been very under-rated around here. In your post, you seem to imply that he's a compromise-to-the-system. He's often not. Does his style of offense take more energy from his defender and leave him less cashed on the other side? Yes. Therefore, is offensive impact important to defensive impact? Yes. But this isn't a simple dialectical problem. It's more complicated than that.

*Your point about the Hawks is, at certain points, unproven, and, at others, just plain wrong. First, the Hawks are just a couple of years into a massive overhaul and culture change. During that process, they've signed an incredible collection of players on great deals, drafted well, won 60 games, been to the EFC, and may very well be back to the EFC in consecutive years as a better team than the year before. It's embarrassing to call what they're doing "middling". Now, to the wrong part: the jazz should not be compared to the Hawks in this facile way.

^I blame Gameface for getting me stoned. But I stand by every word of that atm.

Or they are just playing an overachieving Boston team who got hit with some huge injuries.

The evidence suggests that the Hawks are very much improved on the defensive side of the ball. They needed to make that improvement to their team, and, apparently, they have. They haven't tread-milled for a year....