What's new

Following potential 2014 draftees

Agree w/ the last several posts.

If the #4/5 plus Favors were to land us Parker or Wiggins...I would probably do it. I like Fave. I think he's a franchise cornerstone and defensive anchor. But teams like Utah only have so many changes to land superstars. You have to take risks.

Whenever I see Drummond play, he is usually either: A)stronger than anyone else his size B)faster than anyone else his size C)bouncier than anyone else his size. Oftentimes, he's a combination of two of these, and in the majority of cases he's superior in all three categories. The only current exception is probably DeAndre Jordan who is a complete tard.

I'd consider that a being a great athlete in a league of great athletes. I don't give a **** about your measurements or combine results and the next time I look at any of those will be my first, so please spare me.

drummond is a physical specimen. shaq would've been just a physical specimen if he didn't have his ridiculous athleticism. he would be just a jared sullinger times 1.5
but shaq moved like prancing buffalo in a gazelle's feet. if you call drummond an 'elite athlete' then you have to call Shaq, a Godly athlete.

IMO, there are about 8-9 elite athletes in the nba right now. drummond isn't in it. i just hate throwing the words 'elite'.

historically

wilt
dr. J
MJ
kemp
nique
d robinson
shaq
vince
bron
shaq
d rose
westbrook

etc, etc. there aren't many.

I would call Shaq a Godly athlete. That man was other-worldly. He's probably top 5 all-time in combination of size/strength/agility/athleticism that the leage has ever seen.

When you consider his mobility, explosiveness, and size/strength (...at age 20!), I would definitely consider Drummond to be an elite athlete. I'd say the same about Kevin Durant, even though he tested out as like 2nd worst athlete at the pre-draft combine in Chicago or something stupid like that. His size + length + fluidity + skillset is unlike anything the league has seen before. It's what makes him unstoppable and makes him a legitimate candidate to break the all-time scoring record.

I would be hesitant to give up a lot to nab a top three pick. Maybe I'm just a big homer, but I haven't really given up on any of the young guys, and I don't think the world ends if Wiggins or Parker don't fall our way (I probably would go to great lengths to get Wiggins, however). Jazz could use some depth too, and they're in a good position to add some in the draft, so I'll be happy with things either way.

After thinking about it, the exception to the rule is Wiggins. If the Jazz could get him, I'd give up just about anything.

I would call Shaq a Godly athlete. That man was other-worldly. He's probably top 5 all-time in combination of size/strength/agility/athleticism that the leage has ever seen.

When you consider his mobility, explosiveness, and size/strength (...at age 20!), I would definitely consider Drummond to be an elite athlete. I'd say the same about Kevin Durant, even though he tested out as like 2nd worst athlete at the pre-draft combine in Chicago or something stupid like that. His size + length + fluidity + skillset is unlike anything the league has seen before. It's what makes him unstoppable and makes him a legitimate candidate to break the all-time scoring record.

let's agree to disagree.

to me elite athletes are

bron
griffin
dwight
healthy d rose
westbrook
young d wade

eh, who else? there are many elite leapers in the nba. but i don't see many elite athletes who combines many great athletic traits.

i don't consider KD an elite athlete. he is a great player in a freakish built. but he is not an elite athlete.

Whenever I see Drummond play, he is usually either: A)stronger than anyone else his size B)faster than anyone else his size C)bouncier than anyone else his size. Oftentimes, he's a combination of two of these, and in the majority of cases he's superior in all three categories. The only current exception is probably DeAndre Jordan who is a complete tard.

I'd consider that a being a great athlete in a league of great athletes. I don't give a **** about your measurements or combine results and the next time I look at any of those will be my first, so please spare me.

because it's a centerless era. David Robinson was an elite athlete. i just can't put drummond in that category. if you call drummond an elite athlete then call d robinson, shaq, bron, prime MJ something else. call them elite elite elite athlete or something.

and i never once mentioned his measurements or combine results. i actually do watch games.

back then he was. not only he had 43 1/2 inch vert, but he was very strong guy. built like a football player. there are plenty of nate robinsons in the NFL.

There are plenty of guys in the NFL with 43.5" verts? Roughly speaking, how many is "plenty"?

I would be hesitant to give up a lot to nab a top three pick. Maybe I'm just a big homer, but I haven't really given up on any of the young guys, and I don't think the world ends if Wiggins or Parker don't fall our way (I probably would go to great lengths to get Wiggins, however). Jazz could use some depth too, and they're in a good position to add some in the draft, so I'll be happy with things either way.

After thinking about it, the exception to the rule is Wiggins. If the Jazz could get him, I'd give up just about anything.

I agree 100 percent with allah dis.

Gordon/randle/exum + favors > parker or embiid.

Wiggins > any combination of 1 of our current players + pick 4-6.

Jerami Grant is going to declare today. Aaron Gordon and Glenn Robinson III later this week, it sounds like Nick Johnson will declare and RHJ and Tarczewski will return

There are plenty of guys in the NFL with 43.5" verts? Roughly speaking, how many is "plenty"?

in NFL they only do standing verts. and you will see 40+ inch vert almost every year. nate's standing vert is 'only' 35 1/2. still great in NBA standard. but in NBA only the running vert really matter. i assume NBA players really don't work on their quads and don't really practice standing vert much.

since 1999 in combine history:

46.0 inches – Gerald Sensabaugh – North Carolina
45.5 inches – Cameron Wake – Penn State
45.0 inches – Chris Chambers – Wisconsin
45.0 inches – Chris McKenzie – Arizona State
45.0 inches – Donald Washington – Ohio State
44.0 inches – A.J. Jefferson – Fresno State
43.5 inches – Jay Hinton – Morgan State
43.5 inches – Jerry Azumah – New Hampshire
43.5 inches – Kevin Kasper – Iowa
43.5 inches – Dustin Fox – Ohio State
43.5 inches – Dorin Dickerson – Pittsburgh
43.0 inches – Cedric James – TCU
43.0 inches – Scott Starks – Wisconsin
43.0 inches – Darius Butler – Connecticut
43.0 inches – Eric Berry – Tennessee

all standing verts. and every year there are always high 30's standing vert. RGIII had 39 inch vert. megatron had 42.5 vert(insanity)

in the history of NBA predraft, there's been only 1 40 inch standing vert - DJ stephens.
dj-stephens-kiss-the-rim.jpeg

but i didn't draw NFL comparison becuase lil nate's great vert. it's more about his built - powerful stocky athlete. genetically speaking many NFL safeties are built more like eric bledsoe. and there are shorter guys in the NFL who are built like nate - darren sproles tyrann mathieu, etc. 5ft 7-5ft 9 - 190 muscle packed guys.

@Mr_Carrington: Jabari Parker is NOT returning to duke, per source in Durham. This is legit.

Some guy said this on twitter, didn't name source at all, but it's promising.

in NFL they only do standing verts. and you will see 40+ inch vert almost every year. nate's standing vert is 'only' 35 1/2. still great in NBA standard. but in NBA only the running vert really matter. i assume NBA players really don't work on their quads and don't really practice standing vert much.

since 1999 in combine history:

46.0 inches – Gerald Sensabaugh – North Carolina
45.5 inches – Cameron Wake – Penn State
45.0 inches – Chris Chambers – Wisconsin
45.0 inches – Chris McKenzie – Arizona State
45.0 inches – Donald Washington – Ohio State
44.0 inches – A.J. Jefferson – Fresno State
43.5 inches – Jay Hinton – Morgan State
43.5 inches – Jerry Azumah – New Hampshire
43.5 inches – Kevin Kasper – Iowa
43.5 inches – Dustin Fox – Ohio State
43.5 inches – Dorin Dickerson – Pittsburgh
43.0 inches – Cedric James – TCU
43.0 inches – Scott Starks – Wisconsin
43.0 inches – Darius Butler – Connecticut
43.0 inches – Eric Berry – Tennessee

all standing verts. and every year there are always high 30's standing vert. RGIII had 39 inch vert. megatron had 42.5 vert(insanity)

in the history of NBA predraft, there's been only 1 40 inch standing vert - DJ stephens.
dj-stephens-kiss-the-rim.jpeg

but i didn't draw NFL comparison becuase lil nate's great vert. it's more about his built - powerful stocky athlete. genetically speaking many NFL safeties are built more like eric bledsoe. and there are shorter guys in the NFL who are built like nate - darren sproles tyrann mathieu, etc. 5ft 7-5ft 9 - 190 muscle packed guys.

You seem to have life by the scruff of the neck.

6ft 7 1/4 310lb. 30 1/2 inch standing vert. 500lb bench presser with fluid hip and sick broad jump.
474180335.jpg

NFL has plenty of them. most of these big boys can do a windmill dunk. there are some real freaks in the NFL. NBA too. Bron is freak of all freaks. passed the torch from shaq.

In '05, we moved up from 5 to 3 by fleecing Portland to grab Deron Williams. W/O question one of the best transactions in our franchise's history. Similar situation in that draft - there were 4 marquee players (Bogut, Marvin lol, Deron and Chris Paul) and we were on the outside looking in at #5.

This year is similar - there is a clear cut big 3 (Wiggins, Parker, Embiid), plus a wild card (Exum)....and then everyone else after that seems to be regarded as a tier below (Randle, Vonleh, Smart, Gordon, etc.)

Hypothetical question for the board: let's say we land at 5 come draft night, but DL in his infinite wisdom decides we must secure a top 3 pick to land our next megastar. Anyone have any guesses on what it would take to move from 5 to 3 (or 4 to 2) in this year's draft?

My guess is AT LEAST the GSW pick and our unprotected 1st rounder next year. I can also see Kanter or another future 1st being part of that package (I don't see us moving Hayward, Burke or Favors).

If we're sitting at #4 come draft night and we can move #4 + GSW + next year's unprotected 1st for #2, I pull the trigger. In a millisecond.

The more I think about Vonleh the more I think he belongs in the top three to make a top 4. Yes. I understand he may take a couple years. He's only 18, but I can end up seeing him as a top stretch 4 that is also big enough to guard the bigger 4's. I can see him being a top 3 guy in this draft 5 years from now.

Maybe I have UGLI-itis, but I would excited personally if we got him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk