What's new

Following potential 2014 draftees

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
1998-99 29 32.9 18.7 52.9 29.9 73.0 1.2 9.3 1.9 2.5

shawn marions college numbers. he was still a good FT shooter

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG%FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
2013-14 38 31.2 12.4 49.5 35.6 42.2 2.0 8.0 1.0 0.9

gordons numbers

33.5% more PPG is fairly significant, along with over double the steals blocks.

I have a problem with the things that are highlighted.

1. His handles aren't that good, and shoots too well, I think not. (biggest weakness)

2. I don't even think he's worth 7 or 8. My best case is 15, and most likely only worth 20-25. All he will do is take away the paint, because no one will fear his shot, just like when Brewer was here. Yes this will allow him to slash and get shots at the rim, but that means he will get fouled most of the time as the defender will be waiting for him, and what a surprise, he misses over half his ft's. I have a feeling his, and MKG's scouting reports are very similar, athletic, great defense, IQ, passing, bad shooting.

Many are justifying Gordon's weaknesses due to character, and work ethic, and high IQ, and saying he will improve leaps and bounds because of these traits, well MKG had all these traits, and it has only allowed him to improve slightly.

This doesn't mean he will bust, but it's just as likely he will be just a glue guy or role player as he is to be a Allstar or very good player. I don't see how we can justify taking him top five or even top ten.

Good post and very eye popping numbers

I actually think MKG is a pretty good case in point. I see AG having a very similar career to MKG so far. A dude you'd love to have on your team......just not at 5. He's the kind of guy you hope you mine from our pick at 23.

I think Kawhi Leonard might be a precedent for AG as far as developing offense. I just don't think AG is a guy you take top 5 in this draft. Vonleh looks like he can do everything.

I think Kawhi Leonard might be a precedent for AG as far as developing offense. I just don't think AG is a guy you take top 5 in this draft. Vonleh looks like he can do everything.

Was just about to say same thing in regard to Leonard/Gordon. A freshman Gordon compares pretty favorably to a freshman Kawhi. While their upside was a bit different (explosiveness/height vs. arm/hand size), their skills and shortcomings were described very similarly.

I think that if the Jazz think Kawhi-level achievement is possible, Gordon has to be in the mix at 5. Biggest question is whether FT shooting exemplifies his overall shooting or is a fixable anomaly.

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
1998-99 29 32.9 18.7 52.9 29.9 73.0 1.2 9.3 1.9 2.5

shawn marions college numbers. he was still a good FT shooter

2013-14 38 31.2 12.4 49.5 35.6 42.2 2.0 8.0 1.0 0.9

gordons numbers

2010-11 36 32.6 15.5 44.4 29.1 75.9 2.5 10.6 0.6 1.4
2009-10 34 31.3 12.7 45.5 20.5 72.6 1.9 9.9 0.7 1.4

kawhi Leonard's stats

2011-12 40 31.1 11.9 49.1 25.5 74.5 1.9 7.4 0.9 1.0

mkg's stats

the only difference is he seems to be a BETTER 3pt shooter and an awful FT shooter

Great stats from Gamer!!

Shows, if nothing else, how hard this drafting business is. Though all very closely bunched together, Gordon is tops among all in assists and just a hair behind Deng for tops in 3FG%. He was relatively low in PPG (nearly exactly between Leonard and MKG).

I have a problem with the things that are highlighted.

1. His handles aren't that good, and shoots too well, I think not. (biggest weakness)

2. I don't even think he's worth 7 or 8. My best case is 15, and most likely only worth 20-25. All he will do is take away the paint, because no one will fear his shot, just like when Brewer was here. Yes this will allow him to slash and get shots at the rim, but that means he will get fouled most of the time as the defender will be waiting for him, and what a surprise, he misses over half his ft's. I have a feeling his, and MKG's scouting reports are very similar, athletic, great defense, IQ, passing, bad shooting.

Many are justifying Gordon's weaknesses due to character, and work ethic, and high IQ, and saying he will improve leaps and bounds because of these traits, well MKG had all these traits, and it has only allowed him to improve slightly.

This doesn't mean he will bust, but it's just as likely he will be just a glue guy or role player as he is to be a Allstar or very good player. I don't see how we can justify taking him top five or even top ten.

Good post and very eye popping numbers

While I'm not really an Aaron Gordon fan I think MKG comparison is a little bit unfair, as MKG got drafted into a team that is bottom 5 in stretching the court and since last year getts the majority of their points out of the low post. I think you'd take him if you have a team that has good spacing even if you risk that he's having too much success cutting and that distracts him from improving his shooting.

33.5% more PPG is fairly significant, along with over double the steals blocks.

It's actually 50% more PPG or 33% less ;) #maths

We need to move up to get Gordon according to this guy.

Stopped listening when he was pronouncing Exum as X - C - M

While I'm not really an Aaron Gordon fan I think MKG comparison is a little bit unfair, as MKG got drafted into a team that is bottom 5 in stretching the court and since last year getts the majority of their points out of the low post. I think you'd take him if you have a team that has good spacing even if you risk that he's having too much success cutting and that distracts him from improving his shooting.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as far as Gordon's scoring goes he was 4th or 5th option on that team that was stacked with chuckers.

What?

Arizona had no chuckers. Did you ever watch them? They where a very balanced offensive team and to designate any of them as a numbered option, other than Nick Johnson, would be wrong.

We are going to get Jabari. At the number 1 pick. We will trade kanter and burks with some future picks to Cleveland. Then we get vonleh at five.

Yep, green passed the drugs my way.

You have to like it when a player can give you an honest and correct critique of himself and then tell you what he is doing to fix it. Will he? At the least we know his head is in the right direction and I think with that mindset and hours his ft becomes respectable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLttmhNPYt0