What's new

Following potential 2015 draftees

Leonard is a good overall athlete, but he isn't that explosive vertically. He tested with a 25.5" no step vertical, and a 32" max vertical. His crazy length makes his leaping ability seem better than it is because his arms get so far above the rim. Looney is the same way (they both have 7'3 wingspans).

They both have good lateral agility and can guard both forward positions to a degree.

Both good rebounders.

Both are more unselfish, reserved players.

You could say Looney is more of a PF, and that's probably true to an extent (partially because he's nearly 6'10), but I bet Leonard posted up more at SDSU than Looney did for UCLA (only 9.3% of Looney's offense came off of post up situations). And Looney's jumper is way better than Leonard's was in college (Looney averaged 42% from 3; Leonard only 25% in his two years of college).

If Looney's game translates, I think it'll be in a similar fashion to how Leonard impacts the game. Hard nosed, smart defense; spot up 3s; driving when the defense overplays him; making the right pass; posting up occasionally; etc. Whether he can come up big in pressure situations like Lenoard is the real question and the thing that is most often failed to be mentioned when comparing any player to Kawhi.

My biggest concern comparing him at all to someone like Kawhi is body type. Looney would need to get substantially heavier while retaining his quickness to have the same kind of strength and subsequently defensive impact that Kawhi does.

My biggest concern comparing him at all to someone like Kawhi is body type. Looney would need to get substantially heavier while retaining his quickness to have the same kind of strength and subsequently defensive impact that Kawhi does.

Yah, that's a big difference - Kawhi measured 227 at 6'7'', Looney is supposed to be 220 at 6'10''. That's a pretty big difference.

But other than that, good post spycam1.

Interesting stat:
Looney's blocks/40: 1.1
Turner's blocks/40: 4.7

Looney and Turner have the same standing reach, wingspan, and probably vertical.
Clearly Turner has some "it" factor here or Looney. Whether it be timing, IQ, motor...

I don't think he'll have trouble putting on weight (good frame), but retaining his speed is obviously key, like you said.

I don't think he'll have trouble putting on weight (good frame), but retaining his speed is obviously key, like you said.

Quincy Miller who I considered to have a similar wafer thin frame coming out of college hasn't put on much weight neither though... he's been in and out of the league ever since?

If the Jazz believes he could put on weight though then I think Looney is very intriguing.

Interesting stat:
Looney's blocks/40: 1.1
Turner's blocks/40: 4.7

Looney and Turner have the same standing reach, wingspan, and probably vertical.
Clearly Turner has some "it" factor here or Looney. Whether it be timing, IQ, motor...

No, Looney played in a zone defense where he played a lot at the top of the key.

Turner played down low way more.

My issue with Looney is lack of vertical and lack of quickness. It takes him a sec to get his feet moving and to gather himself to jump. Then he doesn't really get off the floor. I just don't think Looney has the footspeed and reactions that Kawhi Leonard has. I compare him more to Marvin Williams.

I'd like to see him workout against Stanley Johnson and see if Johnson just blows right by him.

My issue with Looney is lack of vertical and lack of quickness. It takes him a sec to get his feet moving and to gather himself to jump. Then he doesn't really get off the floor. I just don't think Looney has the footspeed and reactions that Kawhi Leonard has. I compare him more to Marvin Williams.

I'd like to see him workout against Stanley Johnson and see if Johnson just blows right by him.

his horizontal speed isn't bad though

his horizontal speed isn't bad though

He's got the length to put on the perimeter defensively, for sure. I just think we need someone who can score, and in order to get space on his jumper he's got to be able to drive---and in order to be able to drive, he's got to be able to finish. This is why I lean towards Portis, though Portis isn't going to play SF at all.

Like I said, his vertical should test out about the same as Leonard's.

I think you're really underrating his lateral quickness. UCLA wouldn't have played him at the top of their zone if he didn't have good foot speed. To quote DX's scouting report: "Versatile defender...able to keep PFs and SFs in front."

I'd lean toward picking Oubre or Looney, if we don't move up.

What other trains ya'll riding?

looney has a lot of upside and could provide the stretch 4 QS wants (I like t booker a lot though)
oubre also has a ton of upside and if QS can light a fire under him he might be the best of the wings
booker because shooting is at a premium in the nba
portis seems like a solid bench guy.

I just can't seem to like dekker

looney has a lot of upside and could provide the stretch 4 QS wants (I like t booker a lot though)
oubre also has a ton of upside and if QS can light a fire under him he might be the best of the wings
booker because shooting is at a premium in the nba
portis seems like a solid bench guy.

I just can't seem to like dekker

I'd lean towards Looney or Oubre over Dekker for sure. At #12 I think we have to swing for the fence and go with upside.