What's new

Following potential 2015 draftees

I don't get the Devin Booker love/fit with our team. He'll be the 3rd SG behind Hood and then Burks who are both long term players.

Sure Lyles will be playing behind Favors and Booker, but Booker is only signed on for 1 more year? After which Lyles hopefully can take over as our future 3rd big. Gobert, Favors and Lyles is a GREAT lineup (provided Lyles can learn to shoot and score at the next level).

The issue I have is Right now we'll have spacing issues unless Favors develops a reliable corner 3. Booker's such a good shooter. Having this extra spacing could generate so much traction for his teammates. If you have a shooter where none will never help away from.
I don't see Lyles draining triples. I'm not sure how he will be defensively.
I think a guy like Booker can help your team in so many areas and you can play him together with anybody.

The issue I have is Right now we'll have spacing issues unless Favors develops a reliable corner 3. Booker's such a good shooter. Having this extra spacing could generate so much traction for his teammates. If you have a shooter where none will never help away from.
I don't see Lyles draining triples. I'm not sure how he will be defensively.
I think a guy like Booker can help your team in so many areas and you can play him together with anybody.

Hood only play 1/3 of last season. Wait until he plays a whole season and let's see if this is still an issue.

Also Andy Larsen mentioned on Twitter today that empirically, the draft is the worst place to get more shooting.

Bless you PG_AB. Do you think the dude can get burn at the three? Or will that negate his advantages?

If he gets any minutes at 3, its something that's gotta be 100% matchup based. He might be able to guard Steve Novak, but thats basically what we're talking about... that was a college experiment. He'd surely get left in the dust of most 3's in the league. he's definitely less athletic than James Johnson(who's very athletic).

After watching the playoffs though.. I could see him get some time vs smallball lineups or in blowouts at 5. I always thought he might have Favors height and wingspan, he's measured marginally smaller and he's not as explosive. The Jazz are a really big team though, Trey is still bigger than most PF's in the league, and the same size as many playing 5. IIRC the avg height of backup C's in the league has been 6'10 for a really long time. You might be able to punish a small ball lineup feeding him the ball, he's strong lowerbody and could draw easy fouls with his fakes.

Also Andy Larsen mentioned on Twitter today that empirically, the draft is the worst place to get more shooting.

We should probably trade Hood and Burks then. Seriously, I don't even know what to make of that comment. If he's talking about filling an immediate need, the draft is the worst place to get anything, since most rookies don't contribute much right away. Somebody should tell GS to get rid of Curry and Klay.

We should probably trade Hood and Burks then. Seriously, I don't even know what to make of that comment. If he's talking about filling an immediate need, the draft is the worst place to get anything, since most rookies don't contribute much right away. Somebody should tell GS to get rid of Curry and Klay.
Yeah, weird comment by Larsen. GS only got the best shooting backcourt in NBA history from the draft. The Jazz got three wings who shot 37, 37 and 38% from three last year from the draft.

I've warmed to the pick from one degree above absolute zero to something resembling not freezing. The guy just doesn't move the needle for me BUT we'll have plenty of time to see what we've got.

See my sig:

Stanley > Justise.

I guess front offices agree. Too bad we missed on both guys. I hope Trey's length eventually gives him the edge.

Hope we get Mam Jaiteh on our summer league team. But not sure how he or his agent would feel since the Jazz passed on him twice in the 2nd rd.

Winslow falling to 10, Turner going 11, and then getting the guy I liked least was rough. But we'll see how it pans out.

I hate the Heat.

Hope we get Mam Jaiteh on our summer league team. But not sure how he or his agent would feel since the Jazz passed on him twice in the 2nd rd.

I don't think he wants to be on a team with Gobert, Favors, Lyles, and Tibor Pleiss. DoL said this morning that the jazz are meeting with Tibor adn his agent this week to try to bring him over this year.

I don't think he wants to be on a team with Gobert, Favors, Lyles, and Tibor Pleiss. DoL said this morning that the jazz are meeting with Tibor adn his agent this week to try to bring him over this year.

With Gobert being with the Jazz, all the more reason to sign him to a summer league squad. With Pleiss it might not work out in talks so it's better being safe than sorry.

Reading between the lines on Trey Lyles. . .

Everyone is stressing over if he'll be a "stretch 4" and shoot 3's. He may very well develop that game, but to me, it looks like his IQ, unselfish play and pick and roll potential. Quin Snyder is still very much a P&R coach. Lyles did extremely well in P&R drills during his workout.

Athletically, he has great size and fluid mobility. Great attributes for a 3rd big off the bench. I want to see him hit the gym and get stronger - more explosive. I don't think we've seen everything that he'll offer as a pro because of how he was managed at Kentucky.

A lot of this depends on his work ethic and ability to be coached.

Trey Lyles need to start hanging out with Rudy cuz he works hard during the off season to get himself ready for next season. Trey needs to bulk up a bit.

Even if this has been posted already, i think it is worth being posted again. DoL might have tried, but it takes another team to agree....

According to a source inside the Celtics front office, the team targeted Justise Winslow as high as No. 4, and tried to grab him again when he was still available at No. 9. But a major offer loaded with draft picks – Ainge hinted it might have included at least one of Brooklyn's future unprotected first-rounders – wasn't enough to get the Charlotte Hornets to pass on the opportunity to draft Frank Kaminsky.

"(The future picks) are worth a lot, (but) I think the draft is probably the time where they're least valuable, simply because people get so caught up in players," Ainge said on the radio. "Without mentioning names, there are some players that were drafted at certain spots (by teams) that turned down lots of draft picks that I just don't think was smart on their part.

"But I think our assets have value. On draft day, typically those are hard deals to move. People get so caught up and get so in love with a specific player that that player in their minds becomes bigger than life."